June 10, 2010

Lock & Load X a Viable Solution for Reducing Rolling Shutter Artifacts?

Rolling shutter, aka "jellocam," is one of the chief drawbacks to shooting with large CMOS sensors. Other than to avoid whip-pans or shaky camerawork, however, there's not much shooters can do about it in the acquisition stage; is there a good solution in post? CoreMelt is a software company that's just released a Final Cut plugin designed expressly to reduce rolling shutter artifacts.

Their blurb:

When a CMOS sensor records an image, it scans the image from top to bottom, left to right. This scanning action results in a slight lag time between the recording of the top left of the image, to the bottom right of the image, resulting in images with horizontal skew and vertical distortion. This effect, when coupled with the motion of the camera, creates the infamous "wobbly" image effect attributed to CMOS cameras. Lock & Load X now includes specific shutter coefficient values for the new DSLR cameras like the Canon 7D / 5D Mark II and 550D, Sony HDCAM EX1 as well as consumer camcorders like the Legria / Vixia and helmet cams like the Contour HD.

From their demo video, I'm skeptical, but as there's a free trial, it's worth checking out. Anyone have other solutions to reduce rolling shutter artifacts?

Link: Lock & Load X - Rolling Shutter Reduction

It looks a bit weird; not flawless at all. What can you expect, I guess.

June 10, 2010

James

I seemed to have missed entirely any rolling shutter test on the demo. Was there one? Seemed to stabilize camera shake, though. This seems to be the best rolling shutter cure I've seen: http://vimeo.com/10130633

June 10, 2010

Stephen Henderson

That's because I'd used the wrong link! Thanks Stephen, it's updated with the right URL. As for the video... innovative solution for sure, and certainly applicable if you absolutely must save a shot.

June 10, 2010

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Alright, still not the best video to test it out on, wonder how well it works on a simple fast pan.

June 10, 2010

Stephen Henderson

Do you have a spam problem on this site; I also am a blogger,
and I was wondering your situation; we have developed some nice practices and we are
looking to exchange techniques with other folks, why not shoot me an email
if interested.

July 17, 2014

Definitely believe that that youu stated. Your favourite reason appeared to be at
the neet the easiest thing to understand of.
I say to you, I definitely get irked even as people think
about worries that they plainly do nott rcognise about.
You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and also outlined out tthe
entire thing without having side-effects , other
folks could take a signal. Will likely be again to get
more. Thank you