Superproducer Ted Hope on...

December 29, 2010

Jag35 Releases Affordable Electronic Follow Focus for DSLRs

Jag35, known for ultra-affordable DSLR accesories, has jumped into the electronic follow focus game with a very aggressively-priced unit retailing for under $200. It's initially available in a wired version, with a wireless unit available sometime in the future. How does the Jag35 measure up?

For my own uses, I find I don't need a true wireless follow focus, as I haven't yet had the luxury of having someone else pull focus for me. But what I do need is something that allows me to pull focus from a more supportive position (i.e., keeping both hands on a rig's hand grips), and a wired electronic follow focus will allow just that. Here's a quick look at the unit in action:

One of the first issues that comes to mind is the noise. As Jehu notes, this video was recorded with the internal microphone; however, even with a shotgun mic several feet away, it sounds like the motor would be audible. Time will tell once shooters get ahold of these units, which are very affordable (their closest competition looks to be Redrock Micro's yet-to-ship follow focus unit, which will be several times more expensive). But from the video (and the price tag), this unit looks to be the only electronic follow focus made for consumer (and sometimes prosumer) use.

And another video demo, this one more in-depth:

The Jag35 ships with different motor options, which affect pricing; here's the list.

Prices:
J1 Motor $139
J2 Motor $159
J3 Motor $199
M1 Controller $159
LP-E6 plate $49
3.5mm control cable $9.99

Jag35 says beta units will begin shipping January 1st; more details at the links below. What do you think of this very affordable follow focus unit?

Link: Jag35 Electronic Remote Follow Focus system (product page)

[via planet5D]

how would u rate the overall build quality of the unit? Is it Bartech quality or flimsy?

December 29, 2010

I must say, I much prefer the Lego follow focus when it comes to price...

December 29, 2010

Patrick

Uh...no thanks.Looks a bit Heath Robinson

December 30, 2010

Peter Belcher

I think it's brilliant. Jag35 is a good company. I don't use a whole lot of their stuff, but I love where their heads are at. Tentative thumbs up until I get a chance to try it.

December 30, 2010

There is absolutely no way. Not with that loud squealing racket that it makes. With that kind of noise I would say that they have just wasted their efforts.

December 30, 2010

Tim

I don't think the motor noise is much of an issue, if you're into filmmaking stuff... because you should always have a microphone close to the talent, or a boom mic above them... far from the camera and focus noise... so, I think this would be incredibly useful in a filmmaking aspect.

In a run-n-gun situation, maybe not... but, I think it's awesome!

December 30, 2010

I think that this is a great idea.
I would love something like this.

Unfortunately I tend to run and gun my shoots with a mounted mic (ie wedding and events) so I would love a more silent motor.
I would be interested in paying a bit more if it was quieter.

But for a mark 1 version, this is brilliant!

December 30, 2010

Shai

Sweet!

Can somebody tell me what rig was used in this video? It seems like a nice little set up for shooting.

December 30, 2010

I really enjoy the stuff Jag35 puts out, but I have to say I'm less than impressed with what they've got going here.
There are so many different types of components one could use for this, heck, a DC motor could be great, albeit bulkier. You'd be given full rotation in both directions, and could get incredibly smooth motions.
I've tried using a servo at very low speeds on our Helicopter Rig (not a real heli, long story, check my blog) and while great at quick pulls, very slow focus racks get these teensy little "steps".

Anyway, while this comment might seem negative, it's awesome that these things are being popped out at such a low price, and I'm incredibly excited to see what comes to DSLR shooters in 2011 :D

January 4, 2011

Yeah Matt, I would expect/hope that there will eventually be a version 2 with a quieter (DC?) motor.

January 4, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I agree with others about the noise level. Additionally, I'm not certain of the value of an attached version.

December 17, 2013

Donald S

can you use this on the zoom for the 70d on a 12 foot jib? controller extension?

January 28, 2014