March 16, 2011

How to Build a Hackintosh That’s Faster than a Mac Pro for Half the Price - Updated

Thanks to you guys, I've updated the How to Build a Hackintosh guide. It now includes the latest hardware recommendations, including the latest nVidia Fermi cards, and should work perfectly with OS X 10.6.6. There are a few other updates to the guide as well -- thanks again for your help. All in all, the machine is now even faster and cheaper than it was when I first wrote the tutorial six months ago. If you were thinking about building such a machine, now's the time! Here are shortcuts to the full equipment lists on Amazon:

Link: How to Build a Hackintosh

Hey Koo,

I really appreciate the update of your famous Hackintosh How-To.
Unfortunately I'll still have to wait a little because I recently spend a lot of money on data security (means raid system). If you're interested I'd like to share my guide on how to securely store your media with you, so that you can post it on nofilmschool.com.
Please let me know if you're interested in that.

I hoe you will keep updating your Hackintosh How-To in future. Thanks a lot.
-Sebastian

March 16, 2011

Sure sebastian, shoot me an email:

March 16, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Hi,
I've done HackPro with your guide. I've change only cooling system, and cover:
I've done RAID 1 with raid mode in mother board, it is very easy u can done raid 0 as well.

March 17, 2011

bArT

Helo Jabulani,

I'm trying to build a system with Raid 1 for security, but wasn't able to do so. Can you please give some details or references on how you did it?
Thanks

August 16, 2011

Danilo

Have you built the Antec CP-850 in this case? (cause of the big size)

September 17, 2011

Umleitung

what video card would you recommend for the Hackintosh PRO setup? The same one you marked in your amazon.com link for the "normal" hackintosh?
Is that one working with Adobes mercury engine in Premiere and After Effects CS5?

- Sebastian

March 18, 2011

Looking forward to building one as soon as FCPx specs are released. Waiting for some advice on Thunderbolt compatable motherboards too.

March 16, 2011

The Wallbanger

nice, i will definitely be referring to your guide when the time comes to build my new beast.

just curious though, why no sandy bridge? its barely more expensive, but 40-50% faster according to PassMark. also an SSD for the OS / apps i'm told is the #1 most effective way to boost performance. though its true, that will run you another 100-200.

maybe you can do another 'update' down the line when...

1. os x lion is released / compatibility issues get sorted out.
2. the new FCP is released and the performance boosting hardware is accounted for
3. thunderbolt expansion is available

March 16, 2011

dave

just curious though, why no sandy bridge? its barely more expensive, but 40-50% faster according to PassMark. also an SSD for the OS / apps i’m told is the #1 most effective way to boost performance. though its true, that will run you another 100-200.

maybe you can do another ‘update’ down the line when…

1. os x lion is released / compatibility issues get sorted out.
3. thunderbolt expansion is available

March 16, 2011

dave

BAH!! im trying to reply to the main article!! noooooo

March 16, 2011

dave

Thanks for putting this together! Any word on whether all of this goodness will work with Lion?

March 16, 2011

Well, no one can comment officially since anyone with a developer's copy is under a NDA. But considering that Lion will have to work with all current working Mac hardware, I would expect there won't be a problem. And if there is, I'm sure some enterprising hacker who knows more than me will figure it out.

March 16, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Check your update date, or are you living in the future?

March 17, 2011

We are most definitely living in the future! (fixed, thanks!)

March 17, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Hi Koo, I'm putting one together next week from these new specs. Any word on what kind of e-sata card would work with this? I have one in my G5 now and use it for a poor man's RAID setup. (2 4TB LAcie enclosures mirrored....4TB of space...backed up somethin fierce.:-) I would like to just move that on over to the new hackintosh.:- Can I simply use the card that's in the G5 now?

Cheers as always
John

March 17, 2011

I doubt it. But the motherboard I recommend has two eSATA ports built in...

March 17, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Wow!
What a nice surprise!
Not knowing about this Hackintosh thing I'm putting my desktop pc together this weekend (parts on the way), and at least the 3 main components (Mobo, RAM and Videocard) are the same you're recommending.
Greeeeat!!!
I can't wait to have it up and running since the first Mobo I received from amazon was DOA.

Thanks for sharing this.
FJ

March 17, 2011

FJ

Could anyone post the OS links that i should download ?
my Pc

Gigabyte Motherboard Extreme 58
4GB ram DDR3
Video Cards: ATI 5870 & Geforce 9600 GT

March 18, 2011

Ammar

So everything on the GPU page are the new cards? Just wondering because I am about to throw this guy together. Getting exciting!

March 18, 2011

You should have listened to my suggestion on the Intel 2500k and 2600k. No use using updating with old hardware.

March 19, 2011

Stanley Wong

Stanley -- which motherboard do you recommend with those processors?

March 19, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

MSIP67A-GD65
Asus_P8P67Pro

Two of the more solid boards.

March 19, 2011

Stanley Wong

Thanks Stanley, I'll look into it!

March 20, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Have you had a chance to verify reliability of i7 2600K with either of those two boards for Hackintosh? Am looking to order parts this week...

May 13, 2011

Jaysodo

Not yet... there should be more reports soon, though.

May 13, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

First thank you for efforts for me your informatios are invaluable:)
Did you try any capture card like AJA or Matrox mxo2 or something similar?
Because I'd like to build this machine and use it mainly to grading with Apple color or Davinci
Thanks again:)

March 20, 2011

Zoltan Halmagyi

Not to sound ungrateful (TOO LATE!), but I'm interested in putting together a Hackintosh that would compete with the MacBook Pro. It's easy to find out-of-the-box PCs that destroy the MacBook Pro at its price point, but no one seems to have put together a guide for creating a powerhouse notebook machine. In searching the Web, all I'm finding is people who want to find the cheapest possible notebook they can convert.

If anyone's got any ideas or links, pass 'em along!

(And thanks for the great guide, Koo! If I wasn't looking for portability, I'd be all over this!)

March 23, 2011

Don Strong

Don, I looked around as well and couldn't find anything so far. I am very interested in a Hackintosh Laptop that has the same or even better benchmarks than the top of the line MacBook Pro. (A laptop with NVIDIA, so that the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine makes optimal use of the laptop hardware.)

Anyone?

March 29, 2011

Enno Jacobsen

@Stanley,

I was looking to build this machine fairly soon and had been considering going with SB but I need a machine that just works. It is going to be my main work machine, so I can't be constantly tinkering with it. Is it true that there is no vanilla support for sandybridge yet? Should I just go with a setup (Such as the one in this guide) That is proven to work? -- If you are familiar with sandy bridge builds etc and don't mind helping me, could you please shoot me an email? Thanks so much if you can help. rob@hirerobhere.com

March 30, 2011

Rob Woodward

Hello

Found a stash of HP xw 8400's that were used for video editing now effectively decomissioned and wondering if I can turn one into a Hackintosh with dual boot to drive the right Nvidia card and 3d screen?

I can do my day to day stuff on the normal mac mode then switch into PC to drive the screen in 3d etc.

Cheers

Mark

April 5, 2011

Hi Koo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to update your guide. I am planning on building a hackintosh in the near future (and will use your equipment links). However, I am now interested in making a sandy bridge hackintosh. It would be great to see a "sandy bridge hackintosh" amazon list of products. Any chance you could make that list for us? Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
David

May 5, 2011

David

David,

Absolutely have been looking into this. As soon as there's a reliable build out there, I'll update the guide (and let me know if you hear of one!).

May 5, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Hi Koo,

Here are 2 that have popped up - neither as nearly as complete of a guide as yours. I'd love your input on building a fast sandy bridge hackintosh.

Cheers,
David

May 18, 2011

David

Awesome, thanks David. I'll take a look and base my recommendations on theirs.

May 18, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Hey Koo,

Would it be a problem to buy a up to date gamer desktop and "Hackintosh" it? This CyberpowerPC Fang Evo GLC1202 Desktop Computer on Amazon caught my eye.

May 10, 2011

JoeDoe

Hi Koo,

Could I just swap out the motherboard and CPU for the following?

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz - unlock

I snagged these from the tonymacx86 blog.

-David

May 18, 2011

David

Looks like it! If you do, please report back here with the results so I can recommend others do the same. Good luck!

May 18, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

David, did you get everything to work? I'm wondering the same thing on what updated specs I can build to.

June 16, 2011

Jordan F.

Koo,
Did you ever get your front audio ports working?

May 23, 2011

Going to build a system awsome info i7 sandy bridge asus mb and other suggestions please

ps great info thankyou

July 2, 2011

Stephen R

1. I want to make a system that can edit DSLR file (5D MAK 2) with CS 5.5 (premier and some compositing with AE) and if possible i want to install LION and FCP Studio (Mac) later.....

Should i make system with "Intel i 7 3.x Ghz" (with Nvidia card for Premier support ) or a system with Intel 2600 k (I want to use Nvidia card instead of the Ati graphics card). What n vidia card should i use with SANDY BRIDGE SYSTEM.

I'm going to make both the system as i saw on your site...Tell me so that i order for it....
TONS OF THANKS FOR THE SITE…

October 12, 2011

Umesh Patel

Is hackintosh can run well on computers Dell Inspiron 1464?

November 19, 2011

Hey koo, I want to build a hackintsoh as like most editors I don't want to spend the ridiculous money for a mac pro, but I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are between having say a "Dual Quad Core" to a "Single Quad Core". also what set up would you recommend for a dual core hackintosh?

November 25, 2011

Blake

Also having fire wire 800 and at least 1 fire wire 400 would be essential, and thunderbolt option would be nice :)

November 25, 2011

Blake

Yes, I was looking for that too, because I want to record music with mine... if I find a motherboard with the same chipset and Firewire, will I be ok you think? Thank you very much, great guide you have put together!

January 8, 2012

Greg

The motherboard you highlight isn't available anymore on Amazon. Please recommend an equivalent / updated / current board. Appreciate your site, thank you.

September 28, 2013