Join the discussion about work/life balance in relationships:

March 27, 2011

Oceanside Swimming Pool Beautifully Shot on RED EPIC, Sony F3, and Canon 5D Mark II

Director Jason Wingrove has posted a number of beatific shorts filmed at the same Australian sea pool. This isn't a scientific test by any means, as each short was shot on a different day; but while it may be difficult to compare cameras when what's in front of the lens is different, it also makes for more interesting viewing since you're not watching the exact same thing over and over again. Kudos to Jason for some beautiful shots. First up is the RED EPIC shoot, which was done at 120fps:

Even at only 720p, the clarity of the RED EPIC is impressive. Now take a look at the 60p Sony F3 piece I shared previously, shot at the same location (though in more favorable lighting conditions):

And here's the Canon 5D Mark II, which can't shoot any faster than 30p (thus no slow-motion):

It's always nice to be reminded of how revolutionary -- yes, revolutionary -- the 5D is/was. No, it's not better by any means -- even on the leveled-off playing field of compressed 720p web video -- but it sure is more affordable. FreshDV has a couple more 5D shorts, too. Any reactions to these clips (other than the desire to go for an oceanside swim)?

Great round-up of videos. The 5D is absolutely revolutionary -- as much for what it can do as for the swift kick in the ass it gave to all the other camera makers.

March 27, 2011

The Canon 5D Footage is REMARKABLE! I think that RED is a GREAT company, and it's almost like we've gotten used to them and the way they have innovated the world of Digital Cinema, but I think that the 5D will forever be something that we will forever remain flabbergasted by. One reason is the price, and the second reason is it's a still camera. We were going Qatar to shoot a Documentary and we had the opportunity of using RED gear, but I chose to only use my 5D and 7D. The footage that you can capture with these cameras have completely revolutionized cinema. I honestly have no complains with the 5D. The only thing I would ask for in the MK3 is better video & audio control options, and the ability to shoot at higher frame rates. If the MK3 can embody those feature.... Look The Freak Out!!!

March 27, 2011

Seriously. Canon has done something really special with these.. I'm still convinced I will never need any of the $3k plus contraptions out there..

If MKIII or whatever is in the works, can offer 1080/60p and little to no Moire/aliasing, it's really going to suck for the other makers.. You know what, forget about the 1080/60p, if they even just did a little fix to Moire/Aliasing, I'm well past sold..

March 28, 2011

Cleon

The Canon 5D is more organic, as Philip Bloom :P It's like you're there and you're watching through your own eyes. And very low-light sensitive as well (it's well known after all)

The other two are icrendibly advanced (technologically, speaking) but I think I prefer the Red camera, it just seems more crisp and clear to me

March 28, 2011

I'm in love with all of the footage, though I'm sure the Epic would blow us away at full resolution. I'm really enjoying my 5D Mark II and was happy to see that it still stacks up against the biggest of the big boys.

Now, if the Mark III gets RAW video and a reduction of moire and fixes that little frustrating video out resolution switch, I'll be one happy camper.

March 28, 2011

Luca ta Malta

Thanks so much for posting, Koo. This is a really great line up, and refreshing to NOT have to see the same video 3 times. Doubtless it's good, but yeah, I'd be curious to see how the EPIC handles in lighting conditions similar to those portrayed in the F3 and 5D videos.

March 28, 2011

Michael Kugler

What I love most is the old guy throwing punches at 45 seconds in. Love the tude'

March 28, 2011

love most

I certainly would not mess with him.

March 28, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Great test, thanks for posting. I'm curious though, was there a reason you chose to only show slo-mo on the Epic? I don't think anyone would argue it has superior IQ but just thought a better head-on test for comparison would have been showing all three in regular speed. Or if slo-mo only, use the 7D. Great test though nonetheless. Cheers.

March 31, 2011

Ron

Koo, I really think you are doing a great job - very interesting stuff. I am a stills photographer, but like many others, I have started to look at my 5D Mark ll in a different light lately...

March 31, 2011

What was the song on the Epic short? Great work!

March 31, 2011

Kevin Thornton

excellent work, what lens where used on the 5d?

April 1, 2011

I am surprised by how much I like the F3 footage; it seems more alive to me than the Epic, though that may just be a result of the light conditions. It seems very natural. Overall, I think any one of these cameras could be used to make a spectacular film, given a great script, good actors, and a competent crew. It's just a question of what's easier to deal with on set; I had the opportunity to use a nice Sony HVR-Z5U recently, and I was amazed at how easily I could set anything I needed too. At the cost of soul and beauty, however.

April 1, 2011

Noah Hardaway

It's truly an amazing time to be a film maker! Exciting times ahead! Thanks for posting these videos. I look forward to your weekly NoFilmSchool posts every week!

April 1, 2011

VanLazarus

Very nice videos, I love the slow motion feel added on the Red footage. I wish the 5D Mk 2 would get a 60 fps firmware upgrade, but it doesn't look like it's going down. Though it is cheaper to cop a 7D for a smooth slow motion effect rather than fork over another 3k for a Mk 3.

April 2, 2011

Canon 5D Mark ii + Canon HFS200 dedicated camcorder beats the Red Epic hands down, costing 1/10 as much!

A Canon-based 9shooter system (with the Canon 5D Mark ii & HFS200) costs less than 1/10 cost of the RED EPIC and can be hand-held, as it is far lighter and smaller. The 9shooter also carries the advantages of redundancy and both dedicated stabilization for stills and dynamic stabilization for video, and one can use standard Canon lenses. In a showdown, the <$5,000 9shooter system would beat the $58,000+ EPIC RED hands down. And just you wait until the 9shooter with a Canon 5D Mark III & Mark IV!

In a showdown, the 9shooter beats the EPIC RED hands down.

June 26, 2011

Dr. Elliot McGucken

I really like these.
I love the story you shot with the Sony F3, but there something deeper about the images from the Red Epic.

November 9, 2011