April 10, 2011

Red Giant Software Releases Free Magic Bullet Colorista and LUT Buddy Plugins

Red Giant Software has released two free plugins that work in Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, and After Effects: a limited version of their great Colorista color-correction plugin, as well as a new plugin named LUT Buddy.

Interestingly enough, the free version of Colorista isn't just a stripped-down version of the first Colorista -- in its simplified form it can export Color Decision Lists, which is a new standard designed to be interoperable with other color correction programs. Yes, it's the color-correction equivalent of EDLs. Stu Maschwitz has more on CDLs and LUT Buddy. For reference, here's a look at the paid version of Colorista II.

Link: Magic Bullet Colorista Free and LUT Buddy

and here's a tutorial on using Colorista I to get the blockbuster look

awfully useful tool, and now with an unbeatable price!!

April 10, 2011 at 12:05PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

the first plug in is just a 3 way color corrector from colorista, the LUT is a very usefull stuff.

April 10, 2011 at 1:05PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Colorista is great. Just as every single RAW picture needs to be touched up in Photoshop, all video footageL footage can be improved with Colorista, especially when shot flat.

April 13, 2011 at 3:53PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Too bad the free download version is only for Mac-users :-(
However, the Color Finesse tool in CS5 is also quite extensive.

April 14, 2011 at 3:07AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Absolutely brilliant tutorial. I used to use COLOR FINESSE, but here you're able to work on the skin tones in a more direct way. Great!

April 14, 2011 at 3:50AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Has anybody managed to install the free plugins?
I downloaded Colorista and the LUT buddy, both for Mac/FCP.
The files are .zip but can't be extracted - I tried archiver, Stuffit Expander and even 7zip on my Windows Laptop, they all say that these are not valid zip volumes.
Contacting Red Giant support is more work than writing a masters thesis, so I think I'll just forget about it...

April 15, 2011 at 8:14AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

So I'm using FCP 7 on a MacBook Pro, and when I try to render while using Lut Buddy FCP quits on me. Is anyone else having this problem?

June 2, 2011 at 7:17PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Andrew D

Andrew, I am having the exact same problem. Very frustrating. I feel as if I have tried everything to fix it and have no solution yet.

June 5, 2011 at 1:30AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

o que um colorista faz ?

April 8, 2013 at 8:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM