We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

June 13, 2011

More Final Cut Pro X Screenshots Show Off Advanced Color Grading Interface

More screenshots of Final Cut Pro X (set to be released this month) have been discovered via twitter, this time by @MortGoldman2. Apparently taken from FCP X training videos that the user claims are "publicly available" (though not found easily or released legally), the new screenshots demonstrate the color correction interface of FCP X, which looks a lot like the Motion screenshots we saw last week. The screens show off a new primary and secondary color correction interface, as well as a full suite of video scopes. From these screens, it would appear that Color (but not Motion) has been folded right into FCP X:

Several more screenshots can be found at the link below. The photos have since been taken down as a result of a cease and desist from Apple.

Link: TwitPic screenshot gallery of FCP X screenshots

Does this mean better onlining from within Final Cut? I think so!

June 13, 2011

That looks like a dumbed down version of Magic Bullet Looks. I know these are just screen shots, but still to call that an "Advanced Color Grading Interface" seems a bit out there. Compare this interface to DaVinci Resolve, hell compare this the old apple color.

I think Apple made FCPX into an amazing tool for advanced amateurs people who do professional work only once in a while, but most high end professionals will start leaving this program, for Avid MC and Premier Pro. And it will be because the simple elegance and ease of use that make this an ideal program for talented consumers also cause a lack of fine tuning control for pro users.

June 13, 2011

That said I still can't wait to try that program.

June 13, 2011

I mean "advanced" as in "advanced for a NLE's built-in tools," not "advanced compared to a $100,000 system," which is just unreasonable for a $299 multi-purpose tool...

June 13, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

You know, I'm really looking forward to this. I do a lot of editing and little to no colour grading. Anything that integrates it into my edit software and makes it simpler is fine with me.

June 13, 2011

Will

i find that notion that a true "professional" wants a clunkier, less intuitive interface absurd. functionality and reliability are all that matters. moreover, all indicators thus far suggest that fcp has only added more features. what sources suggest less "fine tuning control" than the current fcp?

i'm sorry, but i find all the fcpx backlash is just snobby speculation based on the lower price. if it was $1000 would that change your mind?

June 13, 2011

dave

Nope.

June 14, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

I just happen to be working on a $250 million FCP show. Just sayin.

June 13, 2011

EJ

Sounds intriguing. What's the project?

June 14, 2011

Michael

My hopes sunk when I saw the "import from imovie" tool. dangit.

June 13, 2011

Now THAT'S the very definition of snobbery.

June 19, 2011

DamenS

I am personally excited for FCPX for my own reasons. I am a "professional" editor and filmmaker. But what does that really mean? One person's profession is another person's dream, one person's hobby is another person's profession. What I'm saying is that this whole debate over the "professional" viability of FCPX is irrelevant beyond any one individual's needs, expectations, and abilities. I can cut any "professional" project in a number of "professional" manners on any number of editing suites. FCPX, Premiere, Avid, Vegas, are all tools (pencils, drills, hammers, etc.) and that's all they'll ever be. None of these programs makes any of us a professional or not. John Cassavetes was a professional but his technical approach to film making would hardly stand up to the "professional" standards of many of today's filmmakers, and yet few have reached the artistic heights. Essentially, who the hell cares if iMovie or Avid was the palette from which an artist mixed his or her paints on, it's the final product that defines the art. If one "professional" prefers the "clunkier" architecture then so be it. If another prefers to cut their industrials on iMovie then my hat's off to them. I can only honestly evaluate my own professionalism by my own results.

What's interesting and productive and ultimately the most valuable thing about Comments is when they are constructive and instructive, as opposed to subjectively (and in this case, preemptively) critical and negative. Different strokes for different folks. If anyone judges me on my "professionalism" theirs has already been compromised as far as I'm concerned.

I look forward to this site's users' constructive comments on FCPX when it is actually available and people have real world experience to base their praise, criticisms, and advice on. Until then, comment away....

June 14, 2011

Anthony Haden S...

Well said!

June 14, 2011

Will

Cheers, Will!

June 15, 2011

Anthony Haden S...

Anthony,

Fantastic comment. Could not agree more.

June 15, 2011

Thanks, Gavin!

June 15, 2011

Anthony Haden S...

I am a professional photographer who started using FCP about two years ago. Been interesting to say the least but from my perspective I REALLY love the CS5 suite but I'm still excited to see what FCPX has. I'll probably end up using CS5 only and leave FCP to my broadcast buddies.

June 16, 2011

Nice to see all the tools I've been using in Vegas the last several years, validated by Apple.
Except we can do Blu-Ray authoring from the timeline if we want to. Not that Vegas hasn't had
it's share of issues.