June 28, 2011

More Fun at Final Cut Pro X's Expense: 'The Social Network' Mock Trailer

The Final Cut Pro X release has so many editors up in arms that one mocking video is not enough. Jeffrey Harrell cut this exploration of Final Cut Pro X's (missing) features to emulate the trailer for The Social Network, using snippets of Steve Jobs' own speech from WWDC '97:

Note: if this video disappears from YouTube (it was previously taken off of Vimeo for music clearance reasons), you can grab the file here.

Let me get this out of the way: I am not denying FCP X has a lot of potential! I'm approximately a thousand times slower with it right now, but that doesn't mean as I get used to the program I won't end up liking it (especially when future versions add in the missing features highlighted above). There is no shortage of opinions on the new NLE, and quite frankly no wrong or right answer -- only what works best for your own workflow. That said, were I taking on freelance editing jobs, I'd stick to what I know -- either FCP 7 or Premiere Pro. There's no pressure to switch, after all.

[via ProVideo Coalition]

This one is my favorite so far, using Apples own commercial against them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXUh1HrYOw&feature=share

June 28, 2011

MRH

really classy... and should leave a mark too :)

June 28, 2011

After a week, now my feelings are, use FCPX or just go elsewhere. It may not be for everyone, it may not be for every pro (whatever that means, I'm a pro), but I can use it just fine. Hollywood, RED users, ARRIRAW users are just the minority in the world, sorry but Apple is a business like everyone else. They will continue to make money. What "pro" users, who are so against FCPX, need to do is just use another software suite, plain and simple and move on. Thousands of complainers but in a year there will still be millions of users, just instead of FCP7, they will be using FCPX. Reality and the future, embrace or find a different tribe.

June 28, 2011

JS

Sometimes you can't just go elsewhere. We just added 2 new computers at work 2 weeks ago to begin work on a series, didn't buy FCP7 for them because we knew FCPX would be released last week. Now we find out that not only is FCPX not up to the task of editing a series in the standard offline/online workflow that we prepared for (audio and online houses are already standing by) or even open the fx templates and logging we've already done in FCP7 files, but we can't even buy FCP7 now to fit these new editors in with the other 3 systems already at work. So we can switch the whole system over to AVID for $12500 that we didn't budget for, Adobe for $4000 that we didn't budget for, or find two cracks of FCP7 on the internet and save the $1200 we did budget for 'upgrading' our systems to FCPX before we knew it wouldn't export a f*ing industry standard EDL and OMF or XML's to speak with the packaging+online editors.

June 28, 2011

MRH

As they aren't selling FCP7 anymore, I say that a cracked version is now fairly legit, with no harm anywhere, so do that.

June 30, 2011

Lucas Adamson

Let's see... Apple is only about 4% of the computers in the world. Now, splinter that off by those using and liking FCPX. Talk about a "minority" in the world!

It would seem editors everywhere ARE using other software suites.

June 28, 2011

BobG

no they are not...
even at only 4% of the computers in the world as you say, most designing and editing stuff is done in macs.

June 30, 2011

Ed Andrade

15% of market share in the USA.

Also, percentage of editors using mac is waaay higher than the general market share, no doubt.

June 30, 2011

Lucas Adamson

This is a blatant lie. I was over these lies two decades ago. Yes, Apples market share is 4-5% worldwide, that is correct (not that Mac religious nuts... yes religious nuts they have started with the scientific research on this matter... not that Mac religious nuts give that impression deliberatly lieing by ommission giving Amertican percentage nubmers when people are discussing worldwide usage. Outside USA Mac usage is approximatly 2% of the market), what is incorrect, and has always been incorrect, is that the majority of video work is and has been done on Macs.

Back before Macs even had greyscale pixels on screen, the Amiga held the bottom and mid video market. At that time Mac religious nuts were outright lieing and climing that work done on SGIs, Quantel boxes and Amigas were all done on Macs. I knew the peple in the various studios and they had no Macs on premisis. By mid 90's a few macs were used for low end compositing, but not for rendering, animation or effects. Still during this time Mac fanatics were all crowing about how macs were creating all the visual effects on screen.. even in the face of the Amiga (and related hardware) taking Emmy after Emmy for technichal advances for year after year.

Now I do not know about every studio in USA, but outside USA, you can still find Quantel hardware at the high end, Nuke, Adobe (no AVID... AVID was always a Mac thing, and since Macs had LESS than 1% market share, no one was forced to use AVID outside USA)... but only a few wedding editors use FCP outside USA. In professional studios I have worked in, owned or have had contact with over the decades, I have only ever seen one studio use primarily Macs... they over invested in hardware and went bust before they released one inch of footage. I have seen macs horseshoed into a few jobs they were not designed to do by fanatics who worked for various companies... but I can honestly say I could have achieved the same footage in one one hundredth of the time using a vintage Amiga 4000 with GFX card and Deluxe Paint 5. Those staff members I have seen fired pretty quickly when projects were delivered rediculously late because their promised Mac efficiencies were just lies of the deluded. The Macs have always been replaced by capable systems shortly after firing the Mac fanatics.

So FCP is a turkey. Apple releases many turkeys. The problem is that they are never held to task for their mistakes by their religious followers. This is why I tried OSX for professional work a decade ago but after watching the fanatics defend apples mistakes for five years, and Apple losing ground in the OS, software and then the rediculous jump to Intel (yeah fanatics will defent steve for that turkey as well, but the Cell processor was cooler and ran a dozen times faster than what Intel actually shipped... Intel have always lied about their roadmap and their performance... long story, even too long for me... steve is a moron for trusting them at their word... Hey but fanatics will excuse giving up 64 bit computing for five years of 32 bit hardware... even if some of the CPUs were 64 bit, they only had 32 bit addressing on the motherboards... stupid stupid stupid), after listening to the chorus of excusers and apologists, I realised that Apple is doomed in the computing world. They ahve plenty of iToys, but have lost the plot for serious professionals.

July 1, 2011

bunny

Apple's Final Cut Pro product series has over 2 million users or more worldwide which last stated accounted for half of all editing users in the world.

96% PC market has nothing to do with editors. PC vs Mac in the creative world is half and half. So it just shows that most PC users are not at all in the creative arts/production fields.

June 28, 2011

JS

Where do you get your stats on Apple's Final Cut Pro user base accounting for half of all editing users in the world? Sounds like a crock to me. If you said "half of all professional" editors in the world, then you might be right....

June 28, 2011

Michael

So I can dance with the need for semantics, how about we say that FCP has 50% of the "I spent actual money on a non linear editing application that wasn't included when I bought my new winDOSE or Mac computer" NLE market. I didn't mention Linux, oh boy.

It's hard not being sarcastic here because I would assume Google and internet searches are available to 4 year olds all the way to 94 year olds.

Here's one from 2010: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10465202-37.html
Quote from said piece "Final Cut Pro has almost 50 percent market share in the nonlinear editor space, outperforming competitors like Avid." (They make no mention of pro. What is a pro editor anyway? Did they pass the editors BAR like a lawyer, are they accredited, did someone approve them of their pro status? Their are a lot of hardcore hobbyists using these apps as well as Hollywood types, so not sure how you differentiate them. But no less, they both paid for the application. How many music video directors hit big time only to go do something else non pro a week later? Commercial art/production is a nebulas realm.)

Many similar percentage stats have been displayed ad nauseam for the last few months since FCPX was debuted. So it [the info/stats] started some time ago.

Instead of worrying about pro vs non pro, if someone paid money for an NLE, then Apple FCP most likely has 50% of that market share. That helps to cut out iMovie and Windows Movie Maker from the millions of machines sold with those preinstalled and rarely ever used. Because honestly anything given for free is always valued less by people and given little attention in the grand scheme of things. So we don't need to worry about those now do we.

June 28, 2011

John-S

Seriously tiring...

I love this site for constructive information but this FCPX debating and bickering and complaining is informing and educating no one.

If you can't use FCPX now for whatever reason (lacking necessary features, looks too much like iMovie, smells funny) then don't use it and contribute something CONSTRUCTIVE to the film making community about something you DO use. Reading comment after comment about how much so-and-so doesn't like something is such a monumental waste of time for everyone involved. Get on with it! Work. Make art and stop b*tching!

June 29, 2011

Anthony Haden S...

it's not just b*tchin'
read MRH comment above and see why lots of people are so upset

June 29, 2011

"Lots of people" is the odd part. Of the true pro/creative power, production houses, broadcast users of FCP, we are only talking about maybe 10, 000 seats or so, or barely a multiple of that. That's a fraction of a percentage point of users, so in the grand scheme of things, why should or would Apple care. I am not saying that what and how they did this release is right or wise, but the loudest complainers of this new release are the smallest portion of the whole market. That's just reality. Apple has democratized Final Cut Pro and what makes the outcries is that those very people are no longer "special" in Apple's eyes. Last time I checked, everything they sell is democratized. And nearly all owners of Apple products DO feel special as a result. Irony.

June 29, 2011

JS

@JS Apple should care about the roughly 10,000 people who are the working professional class of FCP users because they're the basis for the rest of the market. It's like saying, "why should anyone care about Chefs when making sharp knives." If you ignore the basic requests of the profssionals they'll leave, if they're gone then all the people who wish they were will leave to. Because everyone wants what is most useful even if Apple didn't make it.

If the most useful editing system was run on Q-Basic you bet everyone would be using it. The fanboy sarcasm isn't needed.

June 29, 2011

Darrell

Darrell, sounds like a reasonable thought but your example doesn't really work. More knife companies than to shake a stick at. Apple doesn't have to do anything. They don't have to cater to the pro market what so ever.

And getting great quality sharp knives has nothing to do with chefs. More home cooks in one town than all the chefs in the world. Apple is no different. The masses make most companies more money than the small minority.

June 29, 2011

JS

I specialize in a very specific type of editing... non-linear editing.

Cut very quickly with FCP 6 :-)

June 29, 2011

That was good stuff.

July 1, 2011

Abersouth

People are upset because likevme they spent considerable sums of add on's hardware etc and training only to be cut off... There is a lot I like about FCPX but sadly it's not suitable for commercial work... No option to view video on an external monitor....Really
People gravitated towards FCP because big names used it, now that drive has gone. Yes I agree XML or OMF is old and needs upgrading.. Do that, but don't cut off them off until you have replacement.
And yes I do want total control over every parameter....

June 30, 2011

I'm a landscape photographer with many years experience. The transition to movement and sound and timing and cutting and defocusing and establishing shots are new and daunting. While I could spend hours on one image in a darkroom or in photoshop, I never had to worry about the tools/software. I can bring my experience with lighting and composition, but much remains to be learned.

With digital video the software is always the tool and for me, constantly in the way of doing creative work. None of the software programs take a step-by-step process flow. Instead they offer "features" and increase the complexity. And the marketing "gurus" or "evangelists" keep saying it is all simple.

To borrow from "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" terminology, the software is left brain analytic, leaving the creative right brain marking time and wanting to be released to do something fun. When the "left brain" software controls become part of the background, no longer consuming so much frustrating concentration and failed mis-steps, then the creative part of us can resume doing creative work. Apple has always emphasized the right brain/creative aspects of their operating system and their software.

However, it is the duty of software manufacturers to keep the toolset consistent so the craftsman knows where each tool is kept and what it does. Every time there is a jarring software discontinuity, the tools are getting in the way rather than helping. In version 10 there are tools missing and no way to get them back.
It is in this basic duty that Apple and Steve Jobs have abandoned their experienced users.

July 4, 2011