Superproducer Ted Hope on...

June 20, 2011

A Look at the Sony FS100's Dynamic Range

Abel Cine continues their helpful camera tests on their blog with an insightful look at the dynamic range of the post-HDSLR Sony FS100 camcorder. They find the camera gets a respectable 11.5 stops, which according to similar tests is the same as the Sony F3 and Canon DSLRs like the 5D Mark II. They also look at the different CinemaTone settings, which are the customizable knee settings in the FS100. Along with pro audio inputs and interchangeable lens mounts, these settings help separate it from its cheaper HDSLR brethren:

Before anyone comments, "why would I pay $5k for the FS100 when I can get a [insert DSLR here] for less than $1k," yes, it's true: you can't beat DSLRs in the bang-for-buck department, especially when it comes to personal ownership or hobbyist use. But if you're shooting a feature or a production on which anyone's actually getting paid, it makes a whole lot more sense to use a (more) professional tool for the job. Either way, the more options (and the more competition), the better...

Link: Sony NEX-FS100: Dynamic Range Test - CineTechnica

"But if you’re shooting a feature or a production on which anyone’s actually getting paid, it makes a whole lot more sense to use a (more) professional tool for the job. "
more expensive=better, lol. Only dumb thing I've ever read on this blog.

June 20, 2011

Task

That line also bothered me. If results to similar test on DSLRs are the same, what difference does it make? And unless I'm missing something, why on earth would it make "a whole lot more sense?"

June 20, 2011

Tom

I said it makes more sense to use a more "professional" tool. Not a more "expensive" one. It's not the price of the FS100 that makes it more professional, it's the XLR audio inputs, interchangeable lens mounts, embedded timecode, uncompressed HDMI output, and higher resolution (the FS100 uses the same sensor as the F3, which in the test I link to above shows an extra 100 line pairs -- which means an extra 200 TV lines -- than a Canon DSLR) that make it more professional. Among other things.

At no point do I say more expensive=better, but thanks for needlessly LOLing.

June 20, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Zing. :) I agree with you Koo. The FS100 is a professional camcorder, whereas the DSLRs are professional still cameras. That being said, we own 2 T2i's, because as you stated, they offer the best bang-for-buck.

June 23, 2011

Hi Koo:

I want to thanks you for your great site, I live in Cuba and internet access is a pain, and speed is ultra-low, so I really apreciate the time you took to concentrate relevant and interesting information about the industry. Please ignore those that are always highlighting errors (even when they dont exist), and keep with the good work.

Thanks for making life a bit easier for people all over the world.

Ee

May 10, 2012

There's nothing dumb about it.

If you are a professional it means someone is paying you, and they have expectations.

If people don't pay you to shoot, then you are not a professional, there are no expectations in the results.

Even if your equipment is technically for professionals, it ultimately doesn't matter if you or your gear screws up. When you are a professional - any screw up matters.

August 6, 2011

Marco Vasquez

Very nice info, I have been trying to tweak the settings on my FS100 and have failed miserably. I will try this one out. Thanks for the post.

June 20, 2011

Call it what you want. "Better", "more professional" "more exspensive" what ever it's called or considered doesn't really matter to me. What DOES matter to me are the technical facts. On cam audio, better resolution, wave form meter etc... all with interchangeable lenses. Even if I wasn't getting paid, I'd still want this cam. At the same time I still consider using a dslr for paid work to be professional. It's not the cam that determines what's professional, it's the quality of the finished work as a whole. If a client wants to pay 10k for a commercial to be shot using an iphone, that then becomes "professional". It's all semantics. The fs100 is a step up for me from a 7D & I am looking forward to owning it. (I'm still not selling my 7D though).

June 20, 2011

sorry for the stupid question but my english is not very good. i would like to know if the f stop range means it has also the same low light capability? for example comparing it with 5d mark ii in video mode, with 50mm 1.2 lens and 1600 iso, in a quite dark enviroment, they will have the same result? (supposing we plug the 50mm 1.2 lens on fs100 with an adaptor-and i also suppose the fs100 will have less noise because of its newer processor)

June 22, 2011

nikos

SONY NEX FS100
I am a user and the camera found in the following:
1 - light weight so you can login to the places where the narrow
2 - you can get rid and adding accessories easily, such as fully handle the camera and microphone
In addition to the installation of the Monitor and Faofindr larger
3 - I liked not to my need for lighting is so large that you can raise the camera lighting
Without the noise and to clear 30DB GAIN
4 - Ease of entry and manual control of color and how to deal with them through
PICTURE PROFAILE
Separate completely from the camera settings where you can come back to it whenever you want and quickly
5 - I have experience
Where the results were fantastic 2 Frame 1 Frame 3 Frame 6 Frame 12 Frame 50 Frame
6 - great sound quality and after the experiment I saw that
Better option
In terms of quality

7 - Fayyovindr color does not help much to adjust the distance accurately, especially if the lens with a fixed focal length 35 mm, so I found the camera function L
That provide you with fine-distance in three colors red, yellow and white

8 - the presence of the six keys to changing the options as the user will allow you a quick response
9 - Fayyovindr circular movement up to a full course very useful and not available to the rest of the cameras
10 - anti vibration provided by the status of the camera is very useful to use the camera without stand
11 - the camera is also equipped with four options of the fixed
You can choose from Maitlaúm and material nature photography the most important film Miattiyk

12 - When connected via the computer-
Computer recognizes the camera automatically without the need to load the definition
Clips are loaded very quickly
11 - camera equipped with an automatic navigation network in the region, but I did not feel their need, I in no way
12 - a long time of use without the need to replace the battery up to 5 hours of work
11 - I was very happy Bhharih people when I was approached by many of those involved and for amateur photography
To inquire about the camera and ask about it and how they work and the uniqueness of shape
During my filming fountain Burj, where crowds of more than 15 people to watch the camera while you try the
The impressive results seen in slow motion, fast and high-definition camera, which has the

Marwan faraj

June 23, 2011

What has been neglected in this conversation is the "Major" fact that the "DSLR"s over heat quickly, what time frame does a professional have to wait many hours for that DSLR to cool or purchase extras to swamp out the over heated camera for a cooled camera to continue to shoot.

When you can use the "Professional" tool (camera) and continue to complete your shot, and all involved can continue to work.

That's the difference between the professional tool. Yes one could schedule your shot to fit the DSLR timeframe and regroup every few hours or the next day. this will allow that camera to cool: but would you be working at the top of your professional game?

Or perhaps you find it desirable to capture the low lights from the DSLR and willing to work around the over heating issue.

June 24, 2011

Cal Living

Koo is right, "it makes more sense" because you have professional xlr inputs, an evf, pictures profiles you can actually customize, a great uncompressed out for video village, more adaptable lens options, a servo zoom lens option, no aliasing or moire, more detail, FULL TRUE HD video, variable frame rates up to 60p full hd, a lanc controller, option of using a speed booster adapter for full frame look, and timecode. But maybe you are right. what a stupid comment he made.

March 20, 2013