June 17, 2011

The New Sony NXCAMs Have Uncompressed 4:4:4 60p HDMI Outputs*

Well, this is interesting. Sony's $14,000 F3 camera has all manner of professional HD-SDI outputs, including S-LOG with a $4,000 firmware upgrade. You'd therefore expect Sony's $5,000 FS100 to ship with a more limited set of outputs, and it does -- to an extent. While the FS100 only has a "consumer" HDMI output, there are some interesting things about this particular HDMI output. The same goes for the documentary-friendly HXR-NX70 and the twin-lens stereoscopic HXR-NX3D1 as well -- but don't get your hopes up, as that asterisk in the title comes with some disclaimers. What is it about these HDMI outputs that are unique?

First of all, the fact that the HDMI outputs are uncompressed comes as a surprise. They even offer 4:4:4 RGB output as an option (in addition to standard 4:2:2 YUV signals). This includes 1080p at 50p or 60p (depending on whether you have the PAL or NTSC version), and there is even timecode embedded in the HDMI signal. Here's the problem, though: there are no HDMI recorders out there that currently support these advanced features. Presumably one or more manufacturers of the multitudinous available field recorders will issue a firmware date in the future to be able to capture some of these non-standard features, but according to Allan Tépper of ProVideo Coalition as of now none of them can take in the 4:4:4 RGB signal at present.

That's not all, however. The reason for that asterisk in the post title? The output is only 8-bit. It's strange to imagine that an uncompressed output would be restricted in total colors, but the uncompressed HDMI signal is not available in 10-bit. I suppose this makes sense, as Sony would not want to give you an uncompressed 10-bit output from a camera that's 1/3 the price of their flagship model. Lots more details on the NXCAMs (including the tidbit that the NX3D1 is the only one of the three that will ship as a "WorldCam" -- meaning, it has both PAL and NTSC frame rates) at the the link below.

Here's a video about the FS100, in which Sony's Juan Martinez talks about the decision to apply a 2:3 pulldown to the 24p signal for the HDMI output:

Link: Untapped features in Sony NXCAM’s new HDMI output - ProVideo Coalition

again, while i admire that sony is doing this (and it is cool; well, kind of), i have no idea, unless you're really needing an available camera right now, why you would spend more money and get less features on this than to wait for a scarlet or an epic-s. seriously doesn't make any sense to me, and i'm a fairly open minded guy

June 17, 2011

Because while you're waiting for the scarlet and epic-s to come out there are people out there shooting on what is currently available and within their means. They're all tools, if there isn't a worthwhile story then it doesn't matter if you're shooting on 35mm film or an iphone, the story will still suck.

June 17, 2011

William Schultz

dude, did you not read what i said? I said, "unless you're really needing an available camera right now." Please don't make me sound like an idiot because you don't read my full post

June 17, 2011

He's right. If you had waited for a Scarlet when it was first announced, you'd be pretty screwed. RED does not deliver on time, and they don't deliver the hyped specs and unreal prices that are first claimed by their formidable PR machine.

As for the Epic...this is a high-end film-replacement tool, not remotely something competitive with a $5K camera.

June 24, 2011

ffelix

I just can't quite get excited about the FS100. We're going to see some great stuff over the next few years.

June 17, 2011

I know the Scarlet & Epic-s will be great, but this cam (to me) is also a great step up from dslr shooting. I'm not going to spend all my time waiting for the "perfect camera" to come out. Red has been working on their camera for years now & I'm not absolutely sure if they will be able to keep up with demand when it finally hits the shelves. At the end of the day, on the day when I get ready to purchase my next cam, I'll be only be looking at what IS available to purchase at that present time. I'll consider others only if they have a definite release date. Right now, the fs100 is my 1rst choice.

June 18, 2011

How silly, manufactures spend millions in R&D with very talented engineers, just so the marketing department can cripple the camera just at the end, otherwise they get too good. get a life.

June 18, 2011

TTTulio

WHO oh who is gonna have the skills and motivation to hack the FS100 firmware in order to tap into the 444RGB possibility of this sensor? Or is this defacto limited by the circuitry in the cam?

June 23, 2011

BillR

SONY NEX FS100
I am a user and the camera found in the following:
1 - light weight so you can login to the places where the narrow
2 - you can get rid and adding accessories easily, such as fully handle the camera and microphone
In addition to the installation of the Monitor and Faofindr larger
3 - I liked not to my need for lighting is so large that you can raise the camera lighting
Without the noise and to clear 30DB GAIN
4 - Ease of entry and manual control of color and how to deal with them through
PICTURE PROFAILE
Separate completely from the camera settings where you can come back to it whenever you want and quickly
5 - I have experience
Where the results were fantastic 2 Frame 1 Frame 3 Frame 6 Frame 12 Frame 50 Frame
6 - great sound quality and after the experiment I saw that
Better option
In terms of quality

7 - Fayyovindr color does not help much to adjust the distance accurately, especially if the lens with a fixed focal length 35 mm, so I found the camera function L
That provide you with fine-distance in three colors red, yellow and white

8 - the presence of the six keys to changing the options as the user will allow you a quick response
9 - Fayyovindr circular movement up to a full course very useful and not available to the rest of the cameras
10 - anti vibration provided by the status of the camera is very useful to use the camera without stand
11 - the camera is also equipped with four options of the fixed
You can choose from Maitlaúm and material nature photography the most important film Miattiyk

12 - When connected via the computer-
Computer recognizes the camera automatically without the need to load the definition
Clips are loaded very quickly
11 - camera equipped with an automatic navigation network in the region, but I did not feel their need, I in no way
12 - a long time of use without the need to replace the battery up to 5 hours of work
11 - I was very happy Bhharih people when I was approached by many of those involved and for amateur photography
To inquire about the camera and ask about it and how they work and the uniqueness of shape
During my filming fountain Burj, where crowds of more than 15 people to watch the camera while you try the
The impressive results seen in slow motion, fast and high-definition camera, which has the

Marwan faraj

June 23, 2011

Hai
ok wich the best camera for Digital film making, NXcam or PMW-F3?
i am confuseee... plss clear.....

June 26, 2011

Vithya

Wow, 3D!
This camera blows the doors off the Panasonic AF100.
I have held both the Panasonic and the Sony. I do like the build quality of theirs allot more than the Sony.
But everything else about this camera is way cooler.
I can't wait for mine to arrive.

November 20, 2011

Bob

So many wankers on these site.... blowing off Red and the Scarlet. Honestly do you even shoot for a living? Have you ever shot with a Red camera? They overheat constantly. Phil Bloom sent his back. The FS 100 is an excellent camera for the money. Gearheads get a life. The F3 is a better camera for more money. This is about business and the tool you need to make living not about pretending to be a film maker and hanging out at Starbucks chatting about your next great indy flick.
Idiots...

December 26, 2011

Guydun

so, the guy who wrote this never read about cinedeck : http://www.cinedeck.com/#!cinedeck/what-is-it can handdle HDMI 1.4 at 444 60p

April 8, 2012