July 7, 2011

A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Turning a Home Garage into a DIY Prison Set

French filmmaker Eric Bernaud has posted a short video on how he turned his garage into a prison set. When I see these kinds of DIY construction projects I always regret how little space is available in New York City, but you take the bad with the good I suppose. The walls Eric constructs could even be put to use as wild walls, in order to pull the camera back further and obviate the need for such wide-angle lenses as seen in the video (though with DSLRs and RED cameras nowadays, the depth of the camera is less of an issue than it used to be). Here's his BTS:

[via FilmmakerIQ]

That's amazing! I thought he wasn't going to be able to top that gate from the baby pen, but the fan concept for motion was great.

July 7, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

we shot the building of the gate ... backward :)

And I like fans ... thankyou.

e

July 10, 2011

Brilliant concept. A friend and I have been looking for shooting locations for a short film that takes place in a jail, and have run into nothing but delays and dead ends. His script calls for all interior shots, no exteriors. Maybe we should forget the location scouting and just build our own jail sets. By the way, Bernaud, you'd make a great mad scientist.

July 11, 2011

Mark Dixon

Thankyou
... mad, scientist ... i will think about it .. never too late ... :)

July 11, 2011

Reminds me of a short film I made years ago...But instead of a jail, we built an apartment inside a warehouse using much of the same techniques.
A tip to all Indie FIlmmakers out there: Make friends with your local theatre crew. They build sets like this all the time for plays. If you can cover the cost of materials and get them involved in the design process, you've just secured free, skilled labor!

July 12, 2011

Richard G

Impressed with the creativity and innovative methods shown in this clips. :)

July 13, 2011