July 19, 2011

Independent Game 'Limbo' Brings a Film Noir Aesthetic to the PS3 and PC

Check out the aesthetic of the independent game Limbo, which seems to be influenced by film noir, sci-fi, and german expressionism. Limbo won Spike's best independent game award last year for its presence on the Xbox Live Arcade and has been lauded as a "modern classic." Today, the game premiered on the Playstation Network for $14.99, and will also be coming to the PC platform on August 2nd via Steam. Here's the atmospheric trailer, which shows its cinematic influences by beginning with the sound of scratchy film:

What can I say, I have a thing for high-contrast black-and-white visuals. And this review calls Limbo "one of the most memorable titles you will ever experience." Anyone have a chance to play the game?

Link: Limbo

Quite familiar with the title. While I don't begrudge its accessibility or appeal to folks who don't generally game, I must say that it's a startlingly mediocre entry, and there are any number of titles that manage either a noir-esque aesthetic or the games native mechanics in ways far superior and interesting to Limbo. Really, the thing that Limbo most brought to the table was the particularly gruesome nature of the character deaths, and how it forces the player to respond in different ways through its repeated death states.

I'm afraid it's really NOT a masterpiece, and is celebrated for all of the wrong (and entirely superficial) reasons.

July 19, 2011

Damon Nagy

What? This game was incredible! It was tons of fun and actually made you think to solve puzzles. Great game, and WELL worth the money.

July 20, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

Interesting comment, given the gruesomeness of most of the popular games today. If anything Limbo could be described as bringing dark drama in a more artful way that the high resolution rendering of blood'n'guts in full colour. Whether or not it's your taste, at lest it's art.

Also, who's to say that a game is played "for the wrong reasons". Playing games is an exercise of your whim. There don't need to be a "valid" reason to play a game. People play games for the eye candy all the time. As long as they enjoy it, and that makes them happy, then it's a good game. There is no other criteria that tops that.

July 21, 2011

Loved Limbo! Very eerie. I hope they make another one.

July 20, 2011

Ryan

While I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "classic", its a very enjoyable game nontheless. A tad too short, but I had a lot of fun with this platform puzzler while it lasted. The gruesome deaths are funny and frustrating at the same time

July 20, 2011

Rob

LIMBO is a unique game that emotionally hits the player while exploring/surviving a very dark world with a little boy. I was surprised to feel so involved with the character and the levels that encouraged you to think and move forward. By the end I was left wondering what the true story was about but that didn't stop me from using my own imagination. I tend to enjoy these "accept the situation and enjoy" experiences.

For a short game with simple visuals, controls, and no dialogue whatsoever, LIMBO does an excellent job of speaking to the player how fun interactive entertainment can be. Memorable indeed.

July 21, 2011

Irving

All around, LIMBO is a very unique and engaging game experience. Although the most essential ingredient is the visual style, if you've played the game and imagine it in full color I think it would only be half as entertaining.

Another indie game that is stunning visually and brilliant conceptually is BRAID, which includes time bending skills, a story laced with nuclear physics history, and watercolor painted backgrounds.

July 25, 2011

Wow I'm going to have to pick this up. Looks absolutely brilliant.

July 30, 2011