July 1, 2011

Update: How to Build a Hackintosh with the Latest Intel Sandy Bridge Processors

The No Film School Hackintosh was faster than the Mac Pro at half the price. And now it's even faster... and cheaper. Intel Sandy Bridge processors are the latest silicon from Intel, but are unavailable on the Mac Pro. Apple's pro machine is not only prohibitively expensive, but seldom receives updates, making it the unfortunate combination of overpriced and outdated. With Sandy Bridge processors now running successfully in OS 10.6.8, it's time for the latest Hackintosh update. I've revised the guide to include the latest processor, motherboard, and GPU options, so if you were thinking about building a machine, here's how. Also, this machine should work on OS X Lion just fine.

Why should it work on Lion? First of all, Lion has to be backwards-compatible with existing Apple hardware, and that's what we're emulating. Second, the developer's version of Lion is already running on Hackintoshes. As far as I know, the previous hackintosh models should also work great in Lion. When Lion is released to the public (it just went gold), I'll update the hackintosh guide with any changes.

Also, I've updated the No Film School Hackintosh (previous model) to 10.6.8. If you're running one of the previous builds, to also update yours, download the 10.6.8 combo update. Then, run MultiBeast, select your DSDT, and make sure to follow these instructions (yes, even though you did it before, you need to do it again, because 10.6.8 will overwrite your audio kexts, etc). Restart and you should be up and running on 10.6.8. If you have problems, try this thread at tonymac.

Link: How to Build a Sandy Bridge Hackintosh

Hey Koo,
thanks for keeping the Hacintosh list updated to the newest standards of technology.
I'd like to know if you have heard anything about a thunderbolt port that you can built into your Hacintosh?

- Sebastian

July 1, 2011

Good question. Not yet, but I'm sure at some point there will be a PCI card to fit the bill...

July 1, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

This looks really promising but the link isn't working :( also a shopping cart of recommended items would be great to give us a budget.

July 2, 2011

Austin

Sorry, the link is fixed. You'll find the shopping cart there.

July 2, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Hmm I was considering a Sandy Bridge but for my Win7 machine. Then I read up on some of the specs and I decided that Sandy bridge wasn't a very good idea. It has a few issues that aren't good for the video editor type, unless your equipped with THUNDERBOLT. Integrated graphics and shared PCIe bandwidth to name a few...

A MAC machine with THUNDERBOLT is better suited for video work with a Sandy Bridge. But with out THUNDERBOLT I fear you'd just be in the same boat.

The videoguys have a decent article on this processor.

July 2, 2011

O'Ryan

When I read this videoguys article I was doubting too, but I recommend you to explore a bit more this subject and see other points of view: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854514?tstart=60

It is true that Sandy Bridge platform has some limitations and a lot of advantages. The question is if this limitations are really important... for me they are not, and I bought a Sandy Bridge 1 month ago. After reading the videoguys article my main concern was stability, but at this moment, in my experience, the stability is great.

Anyway if you are not in hurry you can wait for Sandy Brdge E or Ivy Bridge... good luck in your research!

July 2, 2011

Pedro

First of all, their complaints are centered on integrated graphics. We're using a discreet GPU so those points are moot.

They make an interesting point about the P67 chipset, but for there to be any disadvantage you'd need to be running an AJA card, RAID, and GPU at the same time, which I think many hackintoshers are not -- and it remains to be seen whether there's a real limitation or only one that people are making up (as Pedro shows with the link above, it appears to be the latter).

I think at this point building a Sandy Bridge hackintosh and later adding a thunderbolt setup is a great idea, and as the Videoguys note, "Conclusion: Sandy Bridge PLUS Thunderbolt is a winning combination!" They go on to say, "I will go a step further, and recommend you wait for X68 chipsets with Thunderbolt. These could still be a year away."

We're talking about a machine that costs less than $2k and in some cases less than $1k. I think for the value the Sandy Bridge processors -- which ARE faster and offer higher clock speeds than the previous generation -- should work great. You can wait a year, true, but that's always the case...

July 3, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

This is great information, thanks. Will the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 work? I'm in Korea and the Z68X-UD5-B3 isn't available here apparently. Or I could just go with the older version that you posted.

And has anyone tried this out yet? I'd like to know that it was successful.

July 2, 2011

Leah

Plus, if you made an amazon list available for international shipping, I'm sure you get people willing to buy from that. Just a suggestion.

July 2, 2011

Leah

Amazon doesn't ship internationally?

July 3, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

only for books; for this kind of stuff, it doesn't

you can find amazon associates that will, but even so I don't think it would be a great idea: shipping costs, trade tariffs, etc, make buying this kind of stuff abroad a bit problematic

July 3, 2011

great job keeping up this work. thanks!

July 2, 2011

dre

I am waiting for Lion to be out before I try building a Hackintosh.

But how will I get Lion since it will only be available at the mac app store and I don't have Snow Leopard or a mac?

July 4, 2011

Robert

I suspect someone will make it available online, but you could always buy a SL DVD for $29 and then upgrade to Lion for another $29... as far as OSes go, that's still pretty cheap.

July 4, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I'm leaning towards getting an awesome Hac Pro for the price of a low-level Mac Pro, but after looking around on the internet it sounds like people have problems with migration, updates, etc. Being that I'm currently on a 2-year old MacBook Pro and want to keep all my files and apps (incl. FCP), is it realistic to think that I could migrate from a MacBook Pro to a Hac Pro? Any how-tos on this? I really want a great machine for video editing but am not a technical guy and don't have $5,000 to spend!!!

July 5, 2011

Mandrew

Mandrew,

I've been using a high-end Hackintosh for the last three plus years... It's been more reliable than many of my friends' Macs.

The installs over the past couple years are fairly clean installs, called Vanilla installs, where you don't need to worry about updating the OS. The most critical choice is the motherboard you use for little to non hassle free system updates. Stick with Gigabyte motherboards for sure!

I haven't used NoFilmSchool hackintosh guide but it looks right on the money.

July 8, 2011

John

Hey Koo,

Thanks for fixing the link... I was thinking of wiping out my 2005 Mac pro tower to use as the case but am unsure if the motherboard or perpiphals will fit... How do I check the sizes?

-Austin

Ps this is my new favorite site... Keep it up! You're improving the quaility of independent productions everywhere with every new post.

July 12, 2011

Austin

Thanks Koo
I'm having trouble finding information on a suitable micro-atx gigabyte board for hac-pros. If anyone has experience with one please post

July 12, 2011

JimBob

Also- you mention in the guide that blu ray playback isn't supported on the OS but that just changed... here's the article I read, http://www.examiner.com/gadgets-in-national/macgo-providing-blu-ray-play...

July 15, 2011

Thanks Koo! I built my Hac Pro last week following your guide and I'm very happy with it! I'm using the i7 2600k, with 16gb ram and a Radeon HD 6870 video card. OS and apps on an SSD and the rest on a 1TB 7200rpm hd. All together it came out to a little less than CAD$1100!

It's amazingly fast and it's been very stable until now!

July 19, 2011

Hey Nadim! Where did you get all the items in Canada? I live here too and a few of the items don't ship to Canada on Amazon

September 16, 2011

Justin

Fantastic website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about
here? I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get advice from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest.
If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
Thanks!

January 10, 2014

I just couldn't depart your web site before suggesting that I really loved
the usual information a person supply for your guests?

Is going to be back incessantly in order to check up on
new posts

April 13, 2014

Hello all, here every person is sharing these kinds of familiarity, so it's nice
to read this weblog, and I used to pay a quick visit this weblog every day.

April 27, 2014

In contrast to telogen effluvium, anagen effluvium involves the shedding of the
anagen hair which can be recognized bby a tapered or feathered root end.
Keep theem interested with different toys aimed at each of them.
Born in Blood and Fire: A Concise History of Latin America.

April 28, 2014

I for all time emailed this web site post page
to all my contacts, as if like to read it afterward my links will too.

April 28, 2014

I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am not sure
whether this post is written by him as nobody else know
such detailed about my trouble. You're wonderful! Thanks!

May 12, 2014

Or will he take his chances to make more exciting fights and better future opportunities down the road.
He stopped throwing punches only after the referee jumped in to wave off the fight in what
may have been a bit premature as Alvarado was trying to tie
up Rios and move away from the onslaught. Rios, the
former WBA lightweight champion, entered this fight having won 10 of his previous 12 bouts by knockout but he failed to make
the 135-pound weight limit in the last two.

May 17, 2014

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each
time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.

Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
Thanks a lot!

June 2, 2014

Aw, this was an extremely nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to produce a really
good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and never
manage to get nearly anything done.

June 11, 2014

I know this web page provides quality dependent content and extra information, is there any other website which gives such information in quality?

June 24, 2014