Superproducer Ted Hope on...

August 2, 2011

Here's the Trailer for 'Like Crazy,' the DSLR-shot Indie Dream Come True

Remember that DSLR-shot feature that won the Sundance Grand Jury Prize and was aquired by Paramount for $4 million? Like Crazy, shot on a Hot Rod PL-mount Canon 7D, opens October 28th. Here's the newly released trailer, starring Star Trek's Anton Yelchin and Sundance Special Jury Prize winner Felicity Jones:

[via indieWIRE]

"Indie Dream Come True"
Hum, it's not like iif it was the first feature film shot with a dslr... Just this year "Tomboy" was shot with a canon 7D, and it's so far one of the best films of the year...

August 2, 2011

Vincent Galiano

Wait, what part of shooting a low-budget feature on a DSLR, winning the Sundance Grand Jury Prize, and selling it to Paramount for $4 million ISN'T an "indie dream come true" exactly?

August 2, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Completely Agree Koo!!

Here is a better version of the trailer with better Audio!!

August 2, 2011

The one I embedded disappeared so I'm using this one instead -- thanks.

August 3, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

yeah but you really should consider "Tomboy" as he won prices in Europe too, the budget is about 1 million euros and it has been shot with 2 Canon 7d. Take a look : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847731/

August 3, 2011

Stéphane Tranquillin

Is it impossible for both this film AND tomboy to be great indie successes? Certainly not! Both are outstanding achievements!

August 4, 2011

i agree w/ koo. koo ruuuules!

August 17, 2011

this movie looks amazing to me. and i'm more for using the 5d's and 7d's on stuff like this. Anyone know the actual lenses they used not the PL 7D?

August 2, 2011

JOHN GULESARIAN (DP of LIKE CRAZY and A Fellow Friend of Mine) - "We used Ziess Ultra Primes with the HotRod Cameras PL Mount modified 7D".

August 2, 2011

Can't wait to see the film - any information on when and where it will be available to European viewers?

August 2, 2011

it seems like so much extra money to go the PL mount.

couldnt they have accomplished the exact same thing [winning at sundance, selling to paramount] using canon's lenses?

do the PL mount really make that large of a difference?

August 2, 2011

Chris Hubbard

Well, what would you rather use in making a film? Photography lenses made for photography, or film lenses made for filmmaking? considering this isn't a no-budget amateur film with non-professional actors, I'd say a few extra thousand put into the most important piece of equipment of the entire shoot (the lenses) isn't a bad idea

August 2, 2011

cubitfox

I spoke with the DP and he was very interested in working with Zeiss CP.2 lenses with the 7D. I would say you could accomplish almost the same thing with the CP.2's.

August 2, 2011

very interesting. I have to pick up a CP 2 to test out in the next month or so.

August 3, 2011

I'm shooting a feature film on a 7D and T2i and I must say the CP.2 lenses are wonderful.

August 3, 2011

I just wrapped picture where we used a 5D and CP.2's. My DP absolutely loved them.

August 4, 2011

James

They truly are awesome to work with. : )

August 5, 2011

Even though it's technically possible to put a CP.2 on a Canon in EF mount, It's impossible to work with Canon EF mount like you can with PL. With EF lenses (even the CP.2) you can't share lenses and maintain focus marks. Also the whole world moves to the left or right when you try to focus, because the lenses twist in the Canon mount. PL mounts holds them all completely still, and focus is correct. I purchased a set of CP.2 lenses and a 5D-PL from Hot Rod Cameras and it's the most magical combination, there's no other camera and lens set that can give you a digital VistaVision field of view. The 21mm CP.2 on a 5D-PL is spectacular!!!!

August 6, 2011

Marco Vasquez

This looks great production-wise. NFS, when are you guys going to get the play by play on how they did it?

August 2, 2011

Christopher P

It just doesn't look like a very good film, never mind what camera and lenses were used!

August 3, 2011

Graham Kay

I saw it at Sundance along with some friends. We're were pretty evenly split; half loved it, the other half hated it.

August 3, 2011

Tim

Sounds like my kind of movie...

August 3, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

This movie looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing and informing. You do an amazing job on all of your endeavors btw! You DSLR Guide, the blog, and everything else is fantastic!

August 3, 2011

Tomboy looks like it has a better story, but the trailer looks good.

August 4, 2011

s

Actually, in the Netherlands there was also a movie released, completely shot on a couple of 7D's. I was impressed with the result when I saw it on the big screen. Here's the trailer (in Dutch) : http://youtu.be/P-gfnfwr5nQ?hd=1

It doesn't look as good as the Like Crazy trailer though.

August 4, 2011

Sandewwwrrr

BArat?? that movie looks great! DO you know what lenses they used for that movie??

February 28, 2012

all i need is a 7d, no other camera

August 6, 2011

larry

I see a lot of talk about the Cp.2s on this thread, just be careful of wide open filming, they have bad purple chromatic aberrations that might affect the production value of your film. Also there is not uniform sharpness along the T-stops, you can still use these lenses just be careful with em

August 8, 2011

Ryan Emanuel

The link to Hot Rod PL-mount in the article contains a virus. You might want to remove that.

August 11, 2011

Brad

Not for me it doesn't... I'd recommend checking your browser/OS/etc.

August 11, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I think it's nice, but when you have a movie that already has a number of stars in it. HOW is that an indie film? They had to be paid, and I'm sure they weren't all working for scale.

August 29, 2011

Jeffrey

Remember the so called dslr camera the movie was shot is almost worth as much as a professional FULL HD CAMERA. If it had been shot on a dslr camera worth under 1k, well then I would have been more impressed. But a camera worth 4-5k is out of reach for most filmmaker wannabes - including me.

February 23, 2012