September 27, 2011

Lensbaby's New Movie Maker's Kit is Designed Specifically For, Well, Movie Makers

Digital cinematography often looks too clean to my eye, and I like "messing up" the images a bit (whenever appropriate). To this end, I bought a Lensbaby Composer Pro earlier this year, and, as always, my timing seems to be the opposite of impeccable: Lensbaby has just released a lens kit specifically for movie makers, aptly named the Movie Maker's Kit. Here are the various lenses in action:

It's a $2,900 kit, which isn't cheap -- and, come to think of it, puts it out of my price range anyway -- but these are lenses for PL-mount cameras we're talking about, which makes the pill easier to swallow. Despite the somewhat straightforward tests seen above, Lensbabies allow for optical lens effects that can benefit a narrative, similar to those seen in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford or The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. The official description:

The Lensbaby Movie Maker's Kit is a complete creative solution for filmmakers looking to add unique effects to their film, in-camera. Conveniently packaged into a rugged Pelican case, this kit contains several of Lensbaby’s flagship lenses for use on PL mount cameras, as well as one in a Canon mount for use on Canon’s line of DSLRs that shoot video. The Movie Maker's Kit also includes a wide range of interchangeable optics and accessories designed to provide the filmmaker limitless aesthetic and creative options at a variety of focal lengths.

Link: Lensbaby PL Movie Maker's Kit

To me this kind of looks like a waste of money because most of the stuff you see in that video you can do in a software like After Effects and for the indie filmmaker i recommend you do not buy this nice posts Koo.

September 27, 2011

It's a different approach. The amount of time you would save doing this in camera while shooting is tremendous. Affecting each shot and waiting for that render on everything is not negligible, and this definitely offers any filmmaker an option for that fast-turnaround job or looking to save money on post. If you aren't able to do the post effects yourself you'd probably actually save money going this route, depending, of course, on the amount of affected shots.

MRH

Well it is not really that hard to do that is post but i get your point but the price is way to high for the indie film maker you can get a good filter for about 90-100 dollars and you will get the same effect

yeah i completely agree.
insanely horrid image quality for double the price of a decent Canon tilt shift lens.
(although their 'glass optic' lenses doesn't look too bad)

I bought some creative filters on ebay for $2.99 each a week ago + $10 for a cokin P filter holder. Haven't received them yet so don't know what the image quality is like, but i've heard it's not too bad. slight difference in price. XP
You could hold up a soft spot filter (or maybe even a semi-transparent plastic bag with a hole?) to the camera and move it in front of the lens to create a similar effect.

Please don't get me wrong, I have no issue with their products, I just think this package is overpriced and unneeded..
I would just get ONE of their lenses for $150-$400.. not 3k..

And as for the fancy bokeh shapes, that can easily be done with a $20 bokeh shape kit or some black card and a pair of scissors.. (works great with prime lenses.) I tried it but never ended up using it on a shoot.

September 29, 2011

I'm probably alone in this, but those shots look terrible.

Alec Sprinkle

Exactly i think they recorded this with a cheap handycam for a $2,900 kit thay should have filmed this with a RED Epic or at least a 5D Mark 2

September 27, 2011

Agreed. And again, you can get much cheaper versions for your DSLR:

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Awesome, Hey Koo i am working on my new site can you tell me what you think click my name to go to it.

Looks like poop.

tom

What do you mean by that

September 28, 2011

It's very busy.

September 28, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

I like the simple styling! looks good.
WAAAAAY too much going on in the page IMO..
Look at my site (click name), mine is probably over simplistic but that's because it's just aimed at one thing, showing my work..

Lol at the guy who said 'poop'.. XD freakin' troll..
ignore him.. Do not feed. :D

September 29, 2011

Not so crazy about the lens baby set, but God, I love the Assasination of Jesse James and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Darius

You can do most of those effects in post production NLE softwares like Sony Vegas, Premier Pro, Final Cut Pro, etc. for macro close up shoot, go buy extension tube on amazon or eBay for $10 bucks. Thanks for giving me a good laugh from watching the video with country music.

Donald F.

i did not watch the whole thing after the first minute i said i can do that in after effects

September 27, 2011

Man, looking at this makes me feel like I'm watching the flashback sequences in "Contagion"

September 27, 2011

To me, this is ridiculous to start with, and at this price it just boggles my mind that they will sell any of this crap.

Lucas Adamson

To Me this feels like macaroni scrap art made by a kindergardener if you know what i mean and the price is way to high.

September 27, 2011

I totally agree with Anthony. All these can be done in post. Save your money..!

September 28, 2011

Emeric

Yup. Why damage perfectly good footage with something you can do in post (and change your mind in post) sooooo easily.

September 28, 2011

RevBenjamin

Well, I can see the use of it. but the shots where you would need these in real film are very margin. Of course for larger productions money is not issue so for them this could speed up the workflow to see the result directly when shooting.

The promo video is still useless, there is no real usage of these. They could have done it at least bit more creative from it.

September 28, 2011

Hi everybody, my name is Steven ("Hi Steven") and I'm a Gear-aholic. It's been 5 days since I bought my last piece of gear (an ultrafast Hitachi Travelstar and power ESata case to connect with my new laptop that has an Express Card slot for SxS cards from my Sony EX1r to transfer files super fast while on long location shoots). I can't tell you how many times I've bought video gear instead of paying my bills, or taken care of my family. Hey, that pair of shoes for Timmy will go six more months if we cut out the toes - ooh want that new shiny Lensbaby Movie Maker's Kit - and when I leave for a shoot, the nagging fear that I've forgotten something critical will expand to include all the little things in the kit. "Lord, give me the strength to..."

September 29, 2011

Steven Schwartz

Also see the lenses by SLR Magic, like their toy lens: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/12/31/slr-magic-toy-lens-for-micro-43...

Interesting "dirty" looks for much less money...

September 29, 2011

Shenan

Here'sa rehersal I had to make a music video with a simple lensbaby:
thats only ONE LENS...

September 29, 2011

The Soft Focus produces some pretty sweet bokeh. The only shot that popped out at me was with that attachment at 1:10.

September 29, 2011