Description image

'Man-child' is 100% Funded -- and I'm Going to Make My First Feature Film -- Thanks to You!

09.23.11 @ 1:36PM Tags :

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Thank you for supporting my first feature film. Thank you for spreading the word. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for bearing with me as this site got a bit overrun with campaign promos. And thank you for reading! I’ll have a better write up in a while when I have a chance to decompress and edit a post, but in the meantime — Man-child hit 100% with 10 hours left, thanks to you guys. I sent out a last email to NFS readers and the campaign jumped so fast that I couldn’t refresh the page fast enough. Come join us at the party tonight in NYC, or here online live at 9PM EDT!

If you’re not subscribed to the newsletter, I wanted to share with you a story I included in my last email about the campaign. The concept for the NoFilmSchool newsletter has been to write letters to myself that would’ve helped me avoid some of the mistakes I’ve made so far in my career. I’m not constantly selling stuff in the newsletter and so I run it at a loss. But the idea is that if I can genuinely help people, regardless of short-term dollars, somehow it all comes back around: and the success of my Kickstarter campaign is exhibit A! Here’s the email:

Hey Koo,

First and foremost I want to thank you. I emailed you at the beginning of this year and explained to you how I had finally plucked up the courage to follow a dream and set out on an uncharted path. You amazingly replied and wished me all the best.

Your blog has been a massive resource for me over the past nine months.

I launched www.gavinkilduff.com at the beginning of this year. My aim was to provide online content for small medium enterprises in Dublin, Ireland.

Its been a huge success so far. I have had the best year of my life. I shot in every major music venue in Dublin, shot 3 music videos, filmed at London fashion week, my clients now include Hennessey, Ireland largest luxury retailer Brown Thomas, I have produced directed and edited Ireland’s most successful viral video this year and best of all been hired by Facebook to direct all of their Livestream content for Europe Middle East and Asia.

I am so excited by what the future holds for me and to watch the revolution that is currently happening with online video and digital distribution.

I will absolutely be supporting you in your campaign and cant wait to watch your debut feature in the not too distant future.

Thanks again for being such a generous person with your time and knowledge.

Yours sincerely,

Gavin.

Thanks for sharing your story Gavin!

For any other readers, as I write this there are still a few hours left in the campaign if you haven’t yet joined the rest of us! Every dollar will be going up on screen, regardless of whether it’s from the first percent or the hundred-and-first. Thank you all again and I will absolutely try to make a movie that makes you proud. And, of course, I’ll share everything I learn here!

COMMENT POLICY

Description image 72 COMMENTS

• YEAH! Congrats Koo! Enjoy the victory and support from all your followers and friends.
    I’ll definitely be looking forward to your insightful posts that come out of the long process.

• Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Thank YOU, Koo. Besides all you’ve done for people like me with your website, this venture of yours also has inspired a lot of us. Now go and kick ass!!!

• YES!! I’ve been watching it all morning! Two weeks ago I was worried you had plateaued, but what a come back! Congrats!!

• Fantastic, congratulations!

• Congratulations! Well done and I’m very happy to see this be so successful. Now the real fun begins. Best of continuing luck and I’ll keep referring my clients your way (even though you advertise BH).

• Congrats KOO….

• Dude, that is pretty amazing. You raised $115,000! That’s a lot of money, but you certainly earned the support of the indie and aspiring film community with your selfless contribution to all of us. Thanks a ton, you deserve to have the film funded, and you deserve all the good things that will come from it.

• Congratulations man! Looking forward to watching it :)

• Been reading your blog for a while now and happy that I could help you out in a small way. Congratulations and I look forward to watching your progress to get this film made! Cheers! :)

• Best way to start my morning- I’m stoked, brother!

• When I first saw the $ figure you wanted to hit with this campaign, I thought it’s way too ambitious. I still can’t completely comprehend how you did it but I’m mighty glad you did, and I am very proud to be a part of your project. Congratulations!!!

• Hey Koo, all d very best.. I am sure it will be a gr8 film

• Congratulations!

• Right on!

Now make that movie!

• Congratulations! I can’t imagine how excited you must be that’s going to be one huge hangover ;P

• Congrats big guy! Now I’m interested in finding out what camera you’re going to choose to film the sucker!

• That’s great news. I feel like a movie mogul. ;) (Albeit a paltry 15 dollar movie mogul). Now, get cracking on it.

And thanks for all your help by having NoFilmSchool out there for all.

• Congratulations! I was happy to be a part of this after seeing all the effort that you put into this website to share your knowledge and new discoveries with us! Use the money wisely – maybe consider attending Mark Stolaroff’s “No Budget Film School” seminar for some ideas on how to stretch the money: http://www.nobudgetfilmschool.com/id2.html

Good luck and enjoy!

• Congrats Koo!

• Congrats to you Koo! Now the real fun begins….

• Congrats Koo!!! Try not to disappear on us as you begin production (like so many film bloggers do) — if you can squeeze in the time, I’m sure we’d all be interested in some in-the-field producing/directing posts.

• Awesome!!
    Congrats mate, you trully deserve it for everything you’ve done…

• Congrats Koo! You inspire and resource us all. Can’t wait to go through this experience with you (via your blog:) Keep up the great work.

• Congratulations, Koo! Well deserved. Can’t wait to see the finished flick

• Patrick Urs on 09.23.11 @ 3:34PM

Congratulations! This is awesome!

I can’t wait to follow the creation process online!

• Congrats brother! Been reading NFS for a long time now, I hope Man-Child doesn’t cut too deep in your time spent posting here, but I’ll understand if it does! Good luck!

• CONGRATS, KOO!

Very awesome and well-deserved. Kickstarter campaigns are rough, as I well know, and you even broke a record. Badass.

Now the real work begins. :)

Best of luck on your upcoming film, I’ll line up to see it.

• chris piotrowicz on 09.23.11 @ 3:42PM

been reading your blog for a long time now!
    really really proud that you made it!

excited to see the finished movie :)

• Stéphane Tranquillin on 09.23.11 @ 3:50PM

Very happy for you Koo ! You deserve it just because you share everything you know about filmmaking on this blog which is a gem. You don’t have to thank us, WE thank you by helpin’ you buildin’ this project ! So thanx to you !!!

• RevBenjamin on 09.23.11 @ 4:06PM

Congrats Koo!!! Have fun making your dream a reality man!!!

• Great!!!! To be honest, I was skeptical at the beginning: too much money to raise! But all the emails I received as a backers during the campaign showed me that you was doing a super great job… step by step I started to believe that you were going to be successful…

… An now comes the best part : enjoy it!!!! ;-)

• Brett Pierce on 09.23.11 @ 4:23PM

YES!! I knew everyone was going to boost it in the home stretch. Congrats, you definitely deserve it, now go drink off all the days of nerve racking stress

• That’s awesome Koo! I’m glad I could help is a small way. Look forward to updates as the project progresses.

• congrats on funding your project

• Great !!!
    Very awesome! ;)

• Congrats! I gave what I could, can’t wait to see how it turns out, and all the education I’m probably going to get out of your experiences!

• If someone deserve this it is you Koo, really. BIG congrats!

• Congratulations, Koo! You really deserve it! I´m excited to follow the film taking off here in NFS!!! Cheers!

• Congratulations… so happy for you! :)

• Pretty amazing to get a free $115,000 – seriously that’s impressive!

• I had my doubts, but i followed this campaign every day and posted the shit out of it on facebook/twitter on the regular. You are the MAN Koo! Now all you have to do is make the damn thing?! Right? Congratulfuckin’ations! It was awesome to be a part of history, and I can not wait until im sitting back with a few 40oz’s and some hoes to watch MANCHILD! What do you think about live streaming for all the donators once you get it past the film festival circuit? It would be awesome to watch it with a few thousand people and chat in realtime…just a thought. On a separate note, I am really hoping that this wont take up too much of your time and you can still keep us NoFilmSchoolers in the loop. Good luck, cant wait to watch this baby take shape over the next year or so.

• Was initially worried 115k would be too large an amount, but shit!!! What a campaign!

Really glad to be a part of this, wish I could be in BKLYN tonight.

Great blog as well.

• Talk about making history! I actually doubted it would happen for some time. Congratulations bro! Great job!

• Congratulations man! I knew you would get there!

• Koo,

Congrats! you made it!!

I got your earlier email today while out and about and it was compelling and made me realize it’s time to pay you back for the book I so eagerly downloaded without a second thought.

Gavin’s letter to you is exactly where I want to find myself in 12 months, gratefully busy with the right clients.

I hope the rest of those 50,000 downloaders still come through for you in the final few hours and really put you over the top. If it wasn’t for people like you giving it out and paying it forward there would be very few of us tryingtobees out here getting anywhere.

Thanks for the kick in the conscience – now go celebrate!!

• That is wonderful. Good success with it. Cannot wait to see it. Keep up the hard work.

• WOOOOOOO PARRTTTYYYY!!!!! THIS FILM IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

• You made it but i still donated to back you up! good luck with the movie!

• CONGRATULATION YOU MADE IT!!!

• Yeah! congratulations! I feel like I just won something ;) Now lets make this film

• I didn’t have the money or ability to donate, but I am so happy for your success and I wish you the best of luck making this film. I have been excited for this film from the moment you posted about it.

Good luck. I look forward to watching Man-child.

• Eugenio Fernández Abril on 09.24.11 @ 12:38AM

CONGRATULATIONS KOO! I’m very happy for you! wish you the best for your first feature!

Good luck!

• Congratulations for ur success

• congrats! its a grt news. Best wishes for the film! Hope it turns out great.

• Great news,
    good luck

Max

• I am soooooo stoked to hear this news. Proud to be a part of it!

• Hey Koo,

I just wanted to congratulate you. It’s great that you can do it, I honestly think so.

• Thank you Koo for letting us be a little part of this!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Congrats master! You deserve it, and thank you for letting us be part of your succes!

• Congratulations, Koo, you are an inspiration! I wish you all the best in the making of Man Child and can’t wait to read about the process, not to mention watching the finished film.

• Congrads!!! Very happy for you

• Congratulations Ryan, can not wait to see the film and learn more about it. Please post up teasers and BTS pieces where possible, would love to follow the film all the way. Best of luck.

• Are you going to credit the people with “Special Thanks and names” for who help donated the film?

It would be awesome when people able to see their names showing up in the end credit.