September 26, 2011

Pomfort Makes Handy-Looking Mac Apps for DSLR (and Higher End) Filmmakers

Pomfort makes a number of interesting Mac tools for DSLR and indie filmmakers. I went to their site to check out DSLR Log2Video Plugin, a $29 plugin for working with DSLR footage shot with Canon's CineStyle picture profile. The plugin is a part of the $129 Silverstack LT H.264, which I found myself evaluating as a tool for offloading and backing up DSLR-originated projects. Silverstack LT is, in turn, the limited version of the $825 data wrangling workflow aid Silverstack SET, which adds advanced features and support for the ARRI ALEXA and RED cameras. Then I found myself checking out their MamboFrame, which turns an iPad into real, physical clapper sticks -- it's not just an app:

Interesting -- good idea (it's not available yet, though pre-orders are being accepted).

I haven't used any of these applications myself, but Pomfort is a fairly new company and I've been impressed by the idea of their apps, their website design, and the fact that 14-day free trials are available for downloading. Anyone used any of these apps?

Link: Pomfort

Expensive frame. $400 is a bit steep... but I guess it's cheaper than a digital clapper anyway. When I see stuff like that though, I just have to believe that there's a cheaper way to do it.

September 27, 2011

RevBenjamin

I went to use the H.264 version, but because it supports ONLY H264, and not AVCHD, I chose to scrap it. I shoot on a GH2. I was pretty sad; It looks like an awesome application.

I (will) be using ShotPut Pro:

September 27, 2011

Couldn't you just use RED GIANTS - LUT Buddy for editing CineStyle instead?

September 28, 2011

Yup, LUT Buddy will work but it's not as easy to use as Log2Video. However I've gravitated to 5DtoRGB to convert my h.264 clips prior to import into FCPX... if you really want to do it in FCP via a plug-in then Log2Video is the way to go IMHO but if you don't mind an extra step then the shareware 5DtoRGB works great.

September 29, 2011

David

If you're just converting DSLR files, I like MPEG Streamclip better than 5DtoRGB. It allows you to convert to ProResLT (or just about any other codec-unlike 5DtoRGB), saving on file size without any noticeable loss in quality. In my unscientific tests I didn't notice any speed difference, either.

September 30, 2011

We agree that is way too expensive, we have a solution though, our iClapperBoard™. It's MUCH cheaper, and has more functionality than theirs, and is engineered by on set filmmakers for filmmakers. Everything right down to the adjustable multi-bit (both flat head or phillips screw driver) nut used for the hinge is completely thought out for the filmmaker in mind. Its also SUPER ease to insert or remove the iPad from our device.

Check us out! http:www.iClapperBoard.com we just started taking pre-orders and you can see a video of The iClapperBoard in action on the site.

October 5, 2011

Sure, go ahead and make a copy of it. See how it lasts through your business day. I admit, german engineering is a bit pricy, but then... It works up to professional expectations. It's a matter of choosing the best solutions one could possibly want for a succesful business. Not the cheapest one. My 2 cts.

October 21, 2011

the cnc guy

I was studying some of your posts on this website and I believe this web site is real informative ! Keep on putting up.

February 7, 2012