We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

November 5, 2011

How to Build a Hackintosh with OS X Lion Natively (no Snow Leopard Required)

Since OS X Lion was released, if you wanted to build a Hackintosh (and I would like to think the tutorial on this site is the most comprehensive how-to out there), you had to get your hands on a copy of Snow Leopard, install that, and then upgrade to Lion. There were often complications along the way, to the point where I refrained from upgrading to Lion. Thanks to tonymacx86, however, hackintoshers can now grab Lion from the Mac App Store and install it natively from a USB drive. Here's the blurb:

Introducing UniBeast- our new tool to create a bootable USB drive from your Mac App Store purchased copy of Install Mac OS X Lion or Apple Store purchased OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive. This all-in-one bootable USB drive can also be used as a rescue boot drive for system recovery. UniBeast + MultiBeast is the easiest method to do a clean install of Mac OS X Lion or update any Snow Leopard system. The following guide requires no coding, terminal work, or Mac experience of any kind.

The How to Build a Hackintosh guide has been updated with this latest info.

Link: UniBeast: Install Mac OS X Lion Using an All-In-One Bootable USB Drive - tonymacx86

Hi Koo, I checked the guide but it looks like for making the usb bootable you need to run os x already ? Will it be possible to make that os x lion bootable usb on my windows running pc? I would like to make a hackintosh pc in near future but i wanted to wait till lion will be full compatible without errors..

November 6, 2011

matt

That's a good question, and I'm not sure since I made mine with a Mac. Do they say on the tonymac forum?

November 6, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

FYI use Kakewalk http://www.kakewalk.se/ ... I tried tonymacx86 Lion install and had some issues.
Kakewalk was sooooo much easier... and I do like both but Kakewalk was just such a breeze I cant say enough good things about it

November 6, 2011

I originally used Kakewalk as well, and I include it in the guide... tis a nice solution.

November 6, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Another +1 for Kakewalk direct Lion install. I installed the week Lion came out, with no problems. Tonymacx does provide the excellent Multibeast for post-installation tweaking. Now, if I could only get wake-up from sleep to work....

November 10, 2011

Lucas Adamson

Hey Koo,

Are you using a Hackintosh for Man-Child?

And what editing software will you be using?

November 8, 2011

I'm willing to build a fresh custom Mac. I'm from India.

The problem here is, Snow Leopard Retail DVD is completely stopped.

Even If I'm willing to clean install Lion with UniBeast method, Lion via Thumb drive is not available for Indian Market.

1. How can I download the legit Lion OS ?

2. Is it okay, if someone from US can get me a copy of Snow Leopard Original Retail DVD, with the billing on their name ?

Seeking help, Thanks in advance.

November 9, 2011

ragu

Hey Ragu, is there any way you could find a friend with a mac and download OS X Lion on their Mac?

November 9, 2011

@ragu hey Ragu , i might as well help you out

March 20, 2012

Akash

Why would you want to do this? Adobe does everything FCP does and win7 is a better operating system. Putting any OS on a PC just slows it down. Putting win7 on any Mac- speeds it up- I've done both and tit's true. Mac is just a status thing- built for those who believe in adverising.
Put windows on your PC and it'll be cheaper than any of these options.

November 10, 2011

Agreed. Plus you get to use Vegas :)

On the other hand, some people might want to edit in FCP - which is not available on Windows. I think that be the main issue.

As an aside, your base system is unix - so that's always a nice advantage of running OSX. Dunno how many times I wanted a killall -9 command for my windows 7.

November 10, 2011

Terence

That's right Jeff, you know all of life's secrets and everyone else is a guileless fool.

November 11, 2011

Pippy

So right when I am on the step for Multibeast, I see an Error 404 on your OS X Install Part 2 page! Is there a PDF to the guide or can the page be fixed?

December 28, 2011

Alec

December 28, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Fixed.

December 28, 2011

Alec

Please help me make my Dell N5110 into a hackintosh, i tried using Iatkos L2 but i get kernel panic after the apple logo, i also tried it several times but i always face kernel panic or it freezes in the chameleon apple logo. Help me pls.

February 13, 2012

Nyle

Don't have any experience with any builds other than what I recommend here... try tonymac's forums?

February 13, 2012

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

@Nyle try using Niresh LION build 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 it works for me on DELL N5110 (the only thing that doesn't work is the nVidia card GT-525M but the Intel Graphics HD works fine) ;-)

March 26, 2012

abdouk

Ryan,

Have you had any trouble with your 460 gtx in 10.7.3? I had trouble getting it recognized, and I'm still not able to select cuda as my playback choice in PPro. Did you run into this?

March 12, 2012