November 16, 2011

A Roundup of New DSLR and Video Gear, Part 1

I missed a lot of new DSLR and video gear over the last few weeks, so let's do a roundup:

Letus Master Cinema Series

Shane Hurlbut and Letus launched their Master Cinema Series of DSLR cages and accessories. I'm excited about the shoulder rig, given it's not as long and unwieldy as many, and that Shane designed it to mimic an ARRI 235 in terms of handling. I should have my hands on a demo unit soon to test with a RED SCARLET. Here's FreshDV's coverage:

Cinevate Fall Sale

Cinevate is running a number of Fall Specials:

There's up to $150 in savings available to US and Canada via direct sales or through any reseller. The rebates are for our popular items, including our Atlas sliders, Simplis DSLR rigs, Cyclops and Durus Follow Focus.

Wordpress Filmmaker Theme

The Wordpress Filmmaker Theme is a Wordpress (which this site runs on) theme designed to get a film-specific website up and running without having to hire designers and developers.

LockCircle LockPort

LockCircle released the LockPort5 and LockPort7 for, respectively, the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D. The LockPorts interface with the Redrock Micro DSLR Baseplate to pro-ify the notoriously finnicky HDMI ports. Features:

• Fits the RedRock Micro DSLR Baseplate with original screws and pads.
  • Saves the “expensive to repair” mini HDMI port on your 5D camera.
  • Full-Size HDMI output allows you to use stronger standard cables.
  • Standard size HDMI plugs locks securely in the socket – no signal loose!
  • 90° FRONT or REAR output editions.
  • Gold plated contacts.
  • Rock solid clamp.
  • Better cable layout on your rig set-up.
  • Fits the RedRock Micro DSLR Baseplate with original screws and pads.
  • Instant reverse output direction set-up.

Light Craft Workshop Coupon

Light Craft Workshop has a coupon on their Facebook Page good until December 1st for 10% off their Fader ND, Fader ND 4X4, USB Camera Controller, and Support Rigs through their online store.

ikan Stealth ENG and Universal Audio One

ikan released the Stealth-ENG Canon XF305 camcorder shoulder mount and Universal Audio One on-set audio field mixer bag.

Kickstarter:EZ-Steady DSLR Camera Stabilizer

Kyle Hart is running a Kickstarter campaign for his $225 EZ-Steady stabilizer:

Vimeo Perks

Vimeo launched Vimeo Perks, a flash sale microsite for active Vimeo Plus and Vimeo Pro subscribers. There are a bunch of deals from B&H Photo, Red Giant Software, Kessler Crane, and more...

DISCLOSURE: Cinevate, Light Craft Workshop, and ikan are currently NFS sponsors.

That EZ-Steady thing is pretty nice, I gotta say. The single handed controls are a great concept.

November 16, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

Hurlbut might be skilled, but he's kind of a doorknob. Sorry, I digress. Great post!

November 16, 2011

I don't really know how people can listen to S.H. for long periods of time, say only says six things about HDSLR and it's the same six things he been saying about these cameras since 2009. My favorate thing he's done is get yelled at by Christian Bale....

November 16, 2011

Darrell

I feel the same. Can't stand to see his face move....

November 17, 2011

Moore

Wow, $225 for a simple stabilizer!? Are you kidding me? I designed one that I'm selling for almost 1/10th of that price: http://www.indiegogo.com/GUERRICAM-Camera-Stabilizer

November 16, 2011

Why didn't you put that on kickstarter? Looks pretty good, good luck man.

November 16, 2011

Chris

Thanks!

I wish I could. But, I'm from Canada, and Kickstarter is US-only :(

November 16, 2011

That's a shame, I was unaware of that.

November 16, 2011

Chris

@Nadim - I would like to see a video of you flying your stabilizer. It's hard to tell how your stabilizer works. Also some footage of the stabilizer when you are walking forward or running. There are more camera shakes when moving forward and backward compared to side to side.

November 17, 2011

What he said.

November 17, 2011

Alec Sprinkle

Will definitely do that, but unfortunately, I won't get around to do it before the end of the campaign. I learned a lot with this first campaign and I plan on making a few others in the very near future!

November 17, 2011

Nadim,

Did you use any post- stabilization for that car video? Also I couldn't find a picture of your model anywhere, would def pick one up if I knew what it looked like.

November 17, 2011

Plenty of pics of the prototype on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/guerricam/

The final product will be a little different:
- anodized frame (instead of paint - much nicer finish)
- a nice rubber finger grip (instead of that poor-man's handle)
- brass thumb nuts (instead of wing nuts)
- rubber padding (instead of felt)

November 17, 2011

Oh, and no tricks in the video!

November 17, 2011

Wow, that ikan intro has Video Copilot written all over it.

November 16, 2011

Sam

Agreed!

November 17, 2011

Stephen

Amazing Post! Thanks for sharing all this Highly Valuable info, it keeps motivating me into this World of Filmmaking!

November 16, 2011

Huascar

Filmmakertheme.. Come on? "But what do these Movie Websites look like?” and answer:
"These movie websites are designed be clean and easy to navigate… and to look good.". They don't even show what it looks like just give lots of promises. Not to mention the site selling this theme is same template itself as these dozens moneymaking websites where the promise one to master any skill in 30 days, earn 5000 dollars a day with google and so on... including the one course you linked earlier in your blog that promised to be better than film school. Readers, WAKE UP!

November 16, 2011

yk

YK- Yeah, I can feel the love there. Still unclear how you manage crossing the Filmmaker Theme post with "moneymaking websites" promising the world. Ho Hum.

Hey Koo- Keep up the great work with these posts, man.
Cheers, M.

November 17, 2011

ML

It's just that the format of the theme selling site, the way the sell it, everything is directly out of a "internet money making" templates. Usually when selling themes they should at least have a demo theme running where you can test it out.. concentrate more on showing the product than just praising it in the text and offering money back guarantees. You can try googling internet scam sites and I'm sure you will run into sites formatted just like this selling pretty much anything.

If you don't see a problem in this, well, be happy. But for the nofilmschool's credibility this is bad. Like the earlier guest post wondering if film school is worth it or should you just skip it. It's a valid question yes, but of course the guest poster is going to claim it is not worth going to film school because he IS SELLING AN ALTERNATIVE, he is trying to make you to buy his "film school secrets"-package... he is just trying to get business to himself. There's absolutely no objectivity. Of course this site gets its cut of the sales as the linkers have referrer IDs. It's hidden advertising, disguised as an article... I'm quite sure proper way would be to state "sponsored message" or "advertisement" on the post, I'm quite certain there's a law requiring to do that.

November 17, 2011

yk

YK,

I disclose in the post exactly who is a NFS sponsor. There are at least 30 links on this page; some of them are affiliate links and some are not. "Canon XF305" for example goes to B&H, though that was automatically linked by Pretty Link Pro (which is itself an affiliate link). For the sake of readability as well as my own sanity, I don't stick a disclosure next to every link. I do have a whole page about affilate links on this site, however:

A lot of times I don't expect to earn a single dollar from an affiliate link -- but I am interested in tracking whether it's something my readers are interested in. You get good stats from affiliate programs, after all...

November 18, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I got little sidetracked from the topic by bringing up the money cut. Of course in blogs like this things need to be linked (and most of the time no one buys anything through those, people take their time to consider and when they finally purchase they just go directly to the website)... i'm not against that. The question is the editorial choice of what sites are behind the links... it's like recommendation from you, if you link a dodgy site it harm your reputation.

I follow this blog a lot. Why I'm saying this is because I care about the content on it.

November 18, 2011

yk

Can't agree with this one. I mean you're talking about a man who is actually working on real movie sets, and is a part of the A.S.C. Do you know how hard it is to become A.S.C worthy? That's a privilege for any Cinematographer who is "chosen". I think he's a great guy with a lot of useful information who has given a lot of his time as an actual Active Cinematographer, to teach people the advantages of filming on a DSLR platform. Besides you're not paying for the information he gives, so why complain?

November 18, 2011

Right on, man. I think Shane is pretty cool and as a resource I've learnt from his videos, site and just taking in from the products he has helped develop with Letus, I have a better insight in how to mimic such rigs with my limited budget.

November 24, 2011

ADC

thanks a lot for the informations about dslr

November 19, 2011

paolo forti

Do you think it's a coincidence since his run in with Bale that he hasn't done a major film since then? I mean that was 2009 and it's 2011 now. After Terminator Salvation as a cinematographer you should be rockin' but he ain't.

November 19, 2011

JPS

Have you seen his IMDB page? He's got two movies coming out in 2012. One starring Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde. It takes a long time to make a movie, months of pre and post production so it's not like he hasn't done anything in 2011.

November 20, 2011