A Roundup of New DSLR and Video Gear, Part 2

Catching up all the latest video software and hardware news (here's part one):

20% off Adobe upgrades

If you have a previous version of Adobe Creative Suite, until the end of the year Adobe is offering 20% off CS5.5 upgrades. I've actually been making do with CS5, but thanks to CS5.5's native RED support I'm about to take advantage of this upgrade discount myself. It's valid for suites as well as single software licenses for video-relevant titles like After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Photoshop (use this link and click through; your 20% discount will be reflected in the shopping cart).

LomoKino Analog Super35mm Camera

"Bringing analogue back to the movies with a bang in the 21st century, the LomoKino is a Lomography movie camera that shoots short, creative movies on 35mm film." That's right, just as the last motion picture film cameras roll off the lines, Lomography introduces the LomoKino, a 144-frame analog film-shooting device:

Matrox Mojito MAX I/O and h.264 encoding card

This $995 PCIe card looks interesting -- it's got plenty of connectivity, including SDI, HDMI, component, genlock, and digital and analog (XLR) audio. It's also an h.264 encoding accelerator (up to 5X speed, they claim), a realtime monitoring aid, and features Matrox RT which is GPU-like acceleration for Adobe Premiere Pro (I wonder if it can work in conjunction with CUDA?). Seems like a lot of handy functionality: Matrox Mojito MAX.

ShrinkRay X Tilt/Shift plugin for FCPX

The Crumblepop ShrinkRay X plugin lets you mimic tilt/shift lens effects in post-production. Normally $75, it's free this week:

B&H Photo Canon DSLR Rebates

B&H Photo has a number of rebates on Canon DSLRs expiring November 23rd, click through if you're in the market:

Switronix TorchLED BOLT

Switronix released their latest on-camera light, the TorchLED BOLT. "The TorchLED Bolt gives a genuine 200 watt light output (7300lux at 2ft, and 3800lux at 1m), with the brightness and throw (40 to 50 feet) of an actual Halogen light in LED form. For event vidoegraphers, DLSR video production and more, The TorchLED Bolt serves as not only an on-camera lighting solution but can be positioned on a light stand for use as "sun gun". The Bolt includes a 1/4-20 Swivel Shoe mount, powertap cable, snap-on filter tray, diffusion filter and bag."

Zacuto Canon C300 Rigs

Zacuto got the jump on the new Canon EOS C300 with a number of rigs, announced months before the camera will hit the street:

Kickstarter: Modogrip

The Modogrip is a $199 set of wheels and hardware that turns a monopod into a portable, rolling dolly:

Celtx Shots

Free screenwriting software makers Celtx released Celtx Shots, a $4.99 storyboarding app for the iPad. The features:

• Create and edit multi-sequence, multi-shot storyboards.
  • Block camera, lighting, talent, and equipment setups.
  • Create storyboards and sketches linked to scripts imported from Celtx Sync.
  • Import and export projects through iTunes.
  • Import images into storyboards directly from Photos or Camera.
  • View storyboard and blocking animatics with the built-in player.
  • Resize, rotate and flip storyboard images in-app.
  • Email edited image files.
  • Email sketches as PNG, PDF or SVG files.
  • Get started with 81 pre-installed clip art images for set blocking. Purchase additional Art Packs in-app.

iClapperBoard for iPad 2

There are some disadvantages to using an iPad as a slate, so perhaps this hybrid approach makes sense? The iClapperBoard is a $165 wooden case for the iPad2 that allows for physical sticks to operate in conjunction with an app:

DISCLOSURE: Zacuto is a NFS sponsor.

Modogrip doesnt look too steady :)

Laurel

Hey Koo nice post but i was thinking don't you think the nofilmschool site needs a new design

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Yeah i took that pool already but i mean the whole site design i know you use wordpress so why don't you get a new theme

November 17, 2011

Themes? We don't need no stinking themes! All custom. More so going forward.

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

lol k by the way i am getting a new dslr i think i want the 60D should i take that one

November 17, 2011

Yes. That one. It is the one. Buy it.
/thread
*facepalm.jpg

November 18, 2011

I love my 60D to death but the GH2 is going for about the same price and gives clean hdmi out plus you can upgrade to a pl mount easily down the road. If you wanted a pl mount on your canon you would need to take the mirror out, void the warranty, etc etc.

The AF-100 and GH line has a few PL mount adapters that simply screws onto the micro 4/3 mount. I've never shot a production with the GH camera so I can't validate their quality but the specs speak for themselves...

November 19, 2011

Ah, Koo, tried the Poll, missing an element: No changes! I love exactly what I have found here!

November 17, 2011

I think that LomoKino is a useless toy! Then thanks for all interesting Dslr Gear update!

Agreed

JJ Labritakis

Hey Koo,

Whats your opinion on the Sony A77 in regards to video quality and/or filmmaking? I've done alot of research on it and I've found several sites saying that it's "technically" superior to both the 7D and GH2, however, I haven't found any footage from the a77 that I would consider to be on the level of several 7D videos. Definitely not saying that a camera is the main thing that makes a picture good (my main camera is a D5000 and I turn out stuff that looks better than some people using cameras that cost twice the amount... thanks to your guide, lol) but I'm still a little confused on the hype.

-Miles aka Mar00n

November 17, 2011

Waiting to see that footage myself...

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

1080x60p... hmmmm I like that

November 18, 2011

It seems the Modogrip link is bad. The promo looks real interesting

Hey Koo, great site!!!
Isn´t this new "iClapper" the same design as the one by "Pomfort - MamboFrame"?
Here is the link to the article you posted a while back:

What I like about this one is the price, but what I don´t like is the wooden finish...

Great articles though! Great work Koo!!!
BTW, I saw you on the Zacuto "Great Camera Shootout", haha, I felt like I saw one of my own friends on TV, hehe...

Jerry

@Jerry - We also are making an ABS plastic version which will be coming soon.

November 19, 2011

The modo grip looks like a great idea, but I'm really concerned about the ergonomics. The way that guy is using it makes my back hurt just looking at it.

November 19, 2011

The upgrade discount does NOT apply when upgrading from CS5.

November 20, 2011

M. Scott Schneider

guys. Maybe I'm a little late. Today is my first time here. I appriciate you, Koo. good site and good information for us.

December 23, 2011