We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

November 21, 2011

Rumors Have the Nikon D800 Featuring Full 1080p Video and 36 Megapixel Stills

Take this rumor the way most rumors should be taken (with a grain, or many grains, of salt), but the Nikon D700's successor/big brother, the D800, is rumored to debut in Japan this Thursday, November 24th for roughly $3,900. The camera will reportedly have 1080p at 30, 25, and 24p, moves up to 60p at 720p, and is supposed to shoot stills at 36 megapixels (!). If you were thinking about getting a pro HDSLR, you might want to wait a few days to find out if this spec sheet is real:

• Smaller and lighter than D700
  • Resolution: 7360×4912 (36MP)
  • CF+SD memory card slots
  • Slightly larger display
  • Excellent video quality, better than D3s
  • Video modes: 1080p/30/25/24 and 720p/60/30/25/24
  • AF identical to D3/D700
  • Headphone jack

Link: Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Nikon D800 - Nikon Rumors

[via The Verge]

'Headphone jack' - that would be a first, sadly...

November 21, 2011

I'm a Nikon shooter but I'm unsure what to make of this. I shoot video on my d7000 and still with my d700. Something isn't adding up with this rumor.
A $4000 camera that shoots video that will only be comprable (at best?) to a Canon 60d or 7d? What does better video than the 3Ds mean exactly?
I don't why i'd be intrigued at spending that much money... Is Nikon down playing the capabilities of this new toy?

I do think that there's something brewing around a new viewfinder system here... but that's just speculation.

November 21, 2011

Lev

Lev,
The D3S had video that was compairable to the D90 (720p, no manual control, baad rolling shutter). This will probably be video that compairs to a D7000, in codec and features, but will far greater low light. I'm sure the reasons for dropping $4K on this camera will show itself with high speed stills and some other photo features.

Nikon is not known for video nor are they trailblazers in it. They, however, make a damn good image.

November 21, 2011

Darrell

I agree, Nikon hasn't been very strong video wise in the past. But I think they realize that they're going to lose a lot of shooters who want versatility, still & video to Canon (I'm seriously thinking about the switch myself...) Unless this new camera seriously upgrades the video capabilities of their hdslr camera line.

November 21, 2011

Lev

"I think they realize"

Wrong, you wish they would realize, big difference, wishing things were so does not make them so.

November 25, 2011

Max

"I’m sure the..."

No, you hope the... big difference.

November 25, 2011

Max

with those specs, the video could be no better than what we have in the already-feeling-quite-old canons, or it could absolutely rock (proper downsampling of the full sensor for no aliasing/moire, sharp detail, and clean ISO 12800; maybe even 4:2:2; and of course all the manual controls we are grown used to with the canons)

let's wait and see...

(though I must say I'm deeply worried all the video DSLR manufacturers may be more concerned about the lack of good autofocus than about aliasing/moire, codec and color subsampling)

November 22, 2011

D3S, the .mov format is full frame and I used it some, but bought the D7K for filmic video. So that bullet is redundant, h.264 supersedes .mov, well what a surprise.

As far as pixels, the density is key and at 12+ MP, the D3S is outstanding for low light and general capture. By far Nikon's best camera for that.

So agreed and point taken.

December 1, 2011

If its a 36mp sensor I wouldnt get to excited about any great leap in low light, in fact it could be the opposite. Also given the video quality on the D3's looked like muddy crap - saying its better does nothing to bolster confidence. Even the D7000 video doesn't measure up to the Canons or Gh2.

Im a Nikon shooter and own a D700 and many fine lenses so it would be great if Nikon are stepping up to the plate. The other rumour is that the D4 will also be announced in a few weeks which will have a far lower MP count (18 or so) but absolutely stunning IQ and low light among other advancements.

Apparently Nikon arent keen to offer the mini D3 (D700) option this time around given how much it likely cannibalised sales of the D3. The D800 and D4 will be completely different beasts so this looks like it may in fact be an accurate spec sheet.

November 22, 2011

Translating 36 Megapixels to FullHD on the fly? If you think the downres from 21 megapixels on the 5D mark II was bad, just imagine the moire on this baby... I thought the race for Megapixels was over by now.

November 23, 2011

on the 5D2, the problem is not "21 megapixels to 2 megapixels", it is the dumb processing used to get there: the 5D2 uses a 3-year-old chip that does line skipping instead of proper downsampling

36 Mpix to 2Mpix, with proper subsampling, could look absolutely stunning (sharp, with no aliasing/moire, and with very little noise at high ISO), or it could look awful (if they still do line-skipping)

November 23, 2011

D800 will use some variant of the Expeed 3 processor. Some variant of the Expeed 3 processor is used in the new Nikon V1 & J1 cameras, and reports about those cameras have specced the Expeed 3 as able to process 600 Mpixels/second, so it should be a fairly fast and up-to-date processor.

Here's one source:

"EXPEED 3 processor with 600 megapixels per second processing power"

November 26, 2011

JD

I've been doing photo and video since I was 19 and I started with a Nikon F and black & white 1/2" open reel video recorders. I currently have a Nikon D300 and was planning on buying another Nikon with video capability, but I can't believe the fact that Nikon doesn't offer a tiltable view screen on the back of their D7000. Anyone who has worked in video knows the value of a tiltable view screen. It's also hugely valuable when shooting stills to reach over a crowd or get down low or even shoot a candid shot from the waist. Get with the program Nikon! The form factor is either a rotating grip or a tiltable view screen. I'm ready after 30 years to switch to Canon or Sony!

November 24, 2011

I got two gh17's for around 1100 shipped to Canada with kit lenses including taxes. Enjoy the newest tidbit for 3x that with no significant difference and no hackability.

November 25, 2011

Max

(video wise that is)

November 25, 2011

Max

the headphone jack is a nice addition to a video DSLR

November 26, 2011