We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

'Becoming the Reel Deal' is a Free eBook About Breaking into the Film Industry

Evan Luzi runs a great blog full of valuable camera department information, The Black and Blue. He also wrote a great guest post here about how to find professional crew members for free. Now Evan has released a free 145-page PDF entitled Becoming the Reel Deal, and it may remind you of a certain other free eBook -- in a good way. Evan's advice is focused on the camera department, as you'd expect given his background, but it should be brain candy for anyone looking to break into film:

While I can’t promise you’ll instantly get a job when you finish reading it, if you follow my advice, I can guarantee you will put yourself in a better position for long-term success. This isn’t about getting one gig -- it’s about launching a career. That’s why I don’t even try to sell you in this ebook on any magic bullet, undiscovered method, or secret ways to the top -- it’s simply tried and true methods that worked for me and others.

Evan just released the book today so I haven't had time to read it yet (it's 145 pages!), but go get your free copy and let me know what you think. Note: like my DSLR Cinematography Guide, you will also receive a weekly newsletter after signing up (you can unsubscribe at any time).

Link: Becoming the Reel Deal - The Black and Blue

If something is truly free, you don't have to give anything to get it, even an e-mail address (which has value).

Adam

Hopefully the value in the ebook exceeds or matches the value to which you attribute to your email address. In which case, the exchange is fair.

December 20, 2011

Free and fair are not synonyms.

Adam

Well, by your definition of free, absolutely nothing is. You're giving up your time, which has value, to read this "free" article on this "free" website. If you want to argue semantics, that's fine, but for the most part, this is a free ebook because it requires absolutely no monetary commitment whatsoever.

December 20, 2011

By that train of thought, no websites are free because you have to pay for internet access.

Jeremy

It's not by my definition, it's by the dictionary's definition. Monetary compensation alone does not determine if something is free. You should probably know that if you are going to fancy yourself a writer.

You could simply say that you are offering your e-book as a gift to all new subscribers, and point out that their is no monetary cost to subscribe. That way you are being honest, and giving people the choice of whether they want to provide this information. Exactly, what's wrong with that?

Facepalm.

moebius22

Then use this: 10minutemail.com

December 21, 2011

Although it shouldn't be necessary. The site looks decent (I usually only use 10minutemail on dodge sites), and I must say: the ebook looks fantastic. Amped!

December 21, 2011

Adam,

Evan busts his ass to provide real, valuable, informed content from a working professionals P.O.V. For free. All the time. And so far you have provide ... nothing except for an overinflated sense of value for your email address. Don't be such a tool.

December 20, 2011

Well, now you're getting a professional writer's P.O.V., and I'm not asking you for anything in return, even an e-mail address. You're welcome.

Adam

If you're a professional writer, I'm a fucking martian.

December 20, 2011

Did you enjoy your trip to Earth?

Adam

no we're getting the opinion of an douche who clearly has nothing better to do with his time and nothing constructive to say, and i'm pretty sure no one wants that. Your Welcome

Peter Kelly

In addition to not knowing the difference between your and you're, you forgot to capitalize the first letter of your opinion. You're welcome.

Adam

Jesus christ, some people are just unbelievable, a 145 page book that you can get for free (basically). If you dont want it, fine, dont download it.

Lots of comments on this website have started to become very negative recently

Peter Kelly

Peter -- thanks for sharing my sentiments. Anybody who isn't willing to give up an e-mail address wouldn't benefit from the ebook anyway. You have to be willing to give up so much more to be successful in the film industry.

December 20, 2011

Is one of those things a knowledge of the English language?

Adam

Hi Adam, I really would like to avoid a silly argument on Koo's website. If you would like to chat with me privately, I'd be happy to talk with you: admin@theblackandblue.com

December 20, 2011

An e-mail has been sent. Thank you for offering to continue this conversation in lieu of more snarky back and forth from all parties. I look forward to your reply.

Adam

If you are a proffessional writer you must a be a very sad one, you don't even know the difference between "there" and "their" as it was made evident some posts ago. And besides you didn't say not one interesting thing here. For a pro writer you sure have a lot of free time.

maghoxfr

Lol pwned

December 30, 2011

SMFR

Thanks Evan, just downloaded and look forward to giving it a read, I find your blog very
useful

Peter

Thanks Peter!

December 21, 2011

Thanks a lot.

moebius22

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it

December 20, 2011

nice, I'll definitely check it out, mostly out of curiosity (I'm not sure how much of that may apply here in Spain)

and also, Koo: not a frame of MC has been shot yet, and you're already a successful internet case study!!

December 20, 2011

I like 'Adam' because he is so willing to help everyone out, correct them, and be the better man. He's a professional writer! I urge everyone to buy one of his books, or read one of his articles. Just go on Amazon; all his stuff is there, just type in 'Adam' and you'll get all his best work. A professional writer gracing this thread with his very online presence, I for one am overjoyed and even a little star struck (i've text my best friends, my mother about you being on this thread, I hope you don't mind 'Adam') He didn't even ask us for his email, a true gentleman.

'Adam', if you could indulge me...can you point out seven of my intentional grammatical errors on my post? I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,

'Phillip' (with Two L's)

Non-professional writer.

Phillip

"Non-professional writer."

Thank you, for stating the obvious.

Adam

Post your last name and a link to anything you've written so we can discuss your value as a writer. Or continue to hide and provide cowardly, pedantic commentray while demonstarting your obvious insecurity.

December 20, 2011

What is demonstarting? Is that some kind of demonic sex act?

Adam

oh I get it - you're a spell-checker. and a coward. nice combo. links plase or you don't exist.

December 20, 2011

"Oh, I get it. You're a spell checker and a coward. That's a nice combination! Please provide links, or you don't exist."

I fixed that for you.

Too bad my existence does not require your belief in order to continue. After all, anyone can start a cookie cutter blog, slap a downloaded skin on it and pretend to be a big shot. You should know that better than most since that's what you apparently did.

Adam

Adam, since this conversation largely revolves around what we started above, I would ask that you please refrain from being disrespectful to the people in this thread. You asked me in the email you sent to be respectful to you, and I will be, so I ask that you do the same for those on this site.

And I ask those of you commenting against Adam to do the same. Koo would appreciate it if we all just sucked it up and left our ill-intentioned comments at the door.

Thank you all.

December 20, 2011

No problem, Evan. This will be my last post.

pedantic .... LOL, i only know that cuz Family Guy said it in an episode
lol... he said pedantic... kewl

December 23, 2011

Thanks for the book Evan - I look forward to reading it.

Adam - I don't wish to be a stickler for dictionary definitions, but in an earlier post you write, 'point out that their is no monetary cost'. I believe you mean 'there'.

December 20, 2011

You are correct! I noticed it right away, but there is no edit button available. I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. :)

Koo and Evan,
You guys have done a great good, and thank you sincerely for dropping so much effort into your individual sites and books. Amazing, and a real inspiration. A godsend indeed, and a couple of resources I pass around at every opportunity.
Cheers and keep up the fantastic work!
Luge

January 1, 2012

P.S I typed that all out on my iPhone, so upon reviewing my post, there are 7 intentional grammatical errors, and 1 unintentional grammatical errors. There's an extra point at stake if you can spot the intentional from the unintentional.

Thanks 'Adam'

Phillip

There was supposed to be a full stop after 'Adam' on my last post, but my iPhone is making changes of its own. That will be all. Thanks 'Adam'.

Phillip

I already knew about this (I found out about B&B a while ago thanks to the fantastic guest post Evan did a while ago) but with all the work I've forgot! Thanks for reminding me Koo and of course to Evan for taking the time and effort to write this ebook.
Seeing your efforts always cheers me up and gives me renewed confidence to chase my dream, thank you both, honestly.
All the best to you!

Luis

Sorry Evan - just got a bit frosted. Movin on.

December 20, 2011

No problem Vince. I appreciate the support. But sometimes it's best to leave things be in the interest of everyone ya know?

Evan

copy that.

December 20, 2011

Here's the link to the PDF:
[deleted]

and if you want to try yourself but are reluctant to give your email try 10minutemail.com

Hey David,

Is there a reason you posted the link? I would appreciate if you could remove it. Or I will end up just changing the link. Thanks - Evan

December 20, 2011

sorry, didn't know you didn't want the book to be downloaded. what do you do with those e-mail adresses anyway? Great book by the way.

December 21, 2011

Thank you Daniel! I'm sorry I called you David at first -- I immediately wanted to change it, but couldn't edit the comment.

I do want people to read it, but I would prefer not to have direct links floating around otherwise my bandwidth could get out of control and cost me quite a bit of money.

As for the emails, I use them to send out a newsletter to drive traffic back to my site much like Koo does here at NoFilmSchool. But I do NOT sell my list, distribute the names, or share them with anyone.

December 21, 2011

Hey! I've read about half way through, this is some fine work. Thank you for publishing this. I can definitely relate to a lot of the stuff that you write about. The most interesting is just to read how you yourself have confronted the most challenging (and therefore relevant) aspects of beginning to work in this industry. I admire the amount of discipline required to create this guide, and I congratulate you.

December 21, 2011