Canon 5D Mark III/X Confirmed at 22MP and $3500, Announcement February 28th

Just as I was writing about the possible new features of Magic Lantern Unified, it's been confirmed that the replacement for the Canon 5D Mark II will be announced on February 28th. Does this make me any less excited about Magic Lantern? Absolutely not! This next Canon camera will not be for everyone, and there's a major hurdle for plenty of people: price. Let's look at the confirmed specs so far.

These rumors should now be treated as fact, but there are still plenty of specs we're not sure about yet. From the Canon Rumors website:

• 22mp
  • 61pt AF
  • 100% VF
  • 3.2″ LCD
  • Dual CF/SD Card Slots
  • Price: Around $3500 USD
  • Announcement on February 27 or 28, 2012 (Depending where you are on earth)

The dual card slots are a welcome addition for those upgrading from SD only cameras and have plenty of media lying around. They should also provide simultaneous recording/backup just as on the Nikon D800. It looks like Canon has produced a worthy adversary to the D800, with the obvious exception of megapixels - which for your own personal needs may vary. It's certainly possible that this camera could be a stop or so better than the D800 in low light performance, but I won't speculate on that until I see some actual pictures or footage.

Canon will also be announcing the Rebel T4i (if they decide to call it that) and a video optimized zoom in the near future. That camera will surely be a huge seller, but we've got to wait for more concrete details before we can decide the extent to which its video features are crippled from the higher-end cameras.

Does this mean you should sell your camera immediately? No, certainly not. First, availability will be at least a month or two after announcement. That puts us into April/May territory. Not having a camera for two months is a deal-breaker for many people selling right away. Second, it's quite a bit more expensive than the 5D Mark II body. Canon has not yet discontinued the 5D Mark II, so it's likely they will continue selling it even after the new camera is released.

It's also hard to say if prices for the 5D Mark II will change. Canon's recent sales can be attributed to overstock and an attempt to offset losses - they've since risen closer to their pre-sales price. It's not clear what will happen, but it's safe to assume that there will be more than a few used 5D Mark IIs floating around.

I'm sure it will be said at some point, somewhere, so I'll address it now: a camera alone will not make your film. There, it's been said again, but that doesn't mean the camera won't make your life on set, and in post, that much easier. In the end, camera advancements are exciting because many of them allow us to do things that have never been possible in the history of moving pictures. Let's just be positive and let the gear-heads be gear-heads. I've got a post in the works that addresses this very issue coming sometime in the future.

As I said before, I don't think this camera will have a clean HDMI, but I'm hopeful it will have the intraframe codec of it's bigger sibling, the Canon 1DX. What other unconfirmed features would any of you like to see in the Canon 5D Mark III/X?

[via Canon Rumors]

We will all be buying this in May and then Canon will turn around and release a C300 DSLR type of camera in June. I'm still glad to see Canon bringing stuff to the table and keeping the indie filmmaking dream alive.

February 22, 2012

Wuaaaw!!! Al fin! Se viene el estallido! oh oh oh oooh!

tinchoto

What ?? Are you super excited or mad ?

Emeric

Not mad but certainly annoyed at both Nikon and Canon for holding off until 2 Qtr 2012. I popped for the 1D Mk IV in November, because I couldn't wait as I needed to replace an aging system and no rumors equals going with what was available. I held off as long as I could. Looking forward to getting the 5D in December.

Bruce

Man so much going on!!

February 22, 2012

I definitely feel that the 5D MkII will be around for a while still and will remain the workhorse for many people that are budget shooters or at least don't want to make a jump/upgrade quite yet. When you invest in what you can afford, you make it worth your while, and get all you can out of it for as long as you can. I agree, amazing equipment does not always make amazing films. Yeah, it helps, but doesn't make you any better of a story teller than you already are. I have a feeling that Canon will release a lower cost version of the C300 sometime within the next year that is some where between the 5D MkII and the C300. It will have less features than the C300, but could be the next budget workhorse to replace the 5D MkII. Of course this all depends on how much the Mk III/X can bring to the table compared to the 5DMkII. If the 5D MkIII/X doesn't bring enough to the table, I don't think that the majority of budget film makers will make the switch, they will wait for another year or the next model release or possibly even an awesome firmware update that is a game changer.

All that mumbo jumbo aside, this is still very exciting though!

February 22, 2012

Here's hoping it will have the DIGIC V processor and fix the moire/aliasing issues. I still love my T2i though!

Nathan

for the aliasing/moire, digic 5 is probably not enough: you need a sensor with a faster read-out time (the one on your camera has a read-out time of roughly 60ms, cut to 20ms by readin only one of every 3 lines)

February 23, 2012

Shadowind you're right !!
I tested the EOS C300 in Paris a few weeks ago and I was talkin' about the future 5d MkIII with the Canon guy.
I told him i'm first a filmmaker and I would love to upgrade from my 7d to the C300 (which is by the way absolutely stunning), but way too pricey for my budget, so I may stick with the 5d MkIII.
And the Canon guy told me that if I could wait, I should. Because according to him, there's a baby C300 on the way. Expect it by the end of the year he said...
Actually if he's right, Canon will announce a 4k camera by the mid year (as we all know), and after this high end annoucement and the release, they will launch the new one, a cheaper C300 style camera, so that the EOS Cinema line can be completed with 3 cameras. The C300 being in the middle of this class of cameras.

Trankilstef

Excellent!
Now the prosumer sheep will dump their perfectly fine 5d 2's on craigslist for rock bottom prices, and I can finally get one :)

John Jeffreys

I totally agree.

Will Thomas

Darius13

Hooray!

This?

Jarrod

Lets just hope they have solved the overheating problem.... Cause if not, then I"m not game for that no matter how cool...

justyn Rowe

The Nikons don't overheat. My D7000 I regularly record 20min at a time and its never overheated and recently that was on 37 degree days (celsius) 98.6 far.

February 24, 2012

Simon B

I'm sticking with my 5d mark ii

Ryan

I might go cry in a corner if it doesn't have 1080p/60. But really what are the chances considering the C300 doesn't even have it.

Clayton Arnall

clean and sharp 720p60 would be fine for me, if still suboptimal

February 23, 2012

If not clean HDMI out, something more than 480P for monitoring AND leave the rear lcd option. After that mountain, they could try magnification WHILE recording. No, I'll just stay with Magic Lantern and Canon will do what Canon will do...

Michael Locke

if canon is hesitant about cannibalizing there sales in others divisions or in there higher end cameras like the c300 then another company like nikon or panasonic or any other company can very well come in and take care of that so i think this could be the case here. i think companies like sony, canon and nikon are in a predicament here.

alguti

I think Canon is the only one with an issue on their hands. Atleast for now. Sony has plenty of cameras that scale evenly between each other. For now Canon is the only company with a gigantic leap between products. And the C300 doesn't out spec a DLSR by very much, so it would be easy to catch up. Other than RAW capture in a consumer product everything else is out here already. Atleast as far as essentials go.

Also, the 5D is a photography staple as well. They can't focus on just video. Expecially after investing in a cinema branch. Canon made it very clear that they want to separate the EOS lines.

Nagato

one thing i would really like to see an improvement on for this is the audio capturing ability. if the mic input can be cleaned up a little bit to just use a simple mic attached to it, it will greatly increase mobility and reduce the amount of time spend in post to sync audio, cause we all know even with the auto-sync in FCPX it still is another step that keeps you from jumping into cutting and splicing.

Peter

eh, the cameras dont have much room for a nice preamp, which dictates good/bad onboard sound. besides, onboard sound is for lazy people :p be a man, film the real mans way, with an external recorder and boom mic

John Jeffreys

Couldn't agree more!

Si Edwards

I'd love to see some higher frame rates. 1080p/60 or 50 for PAL.

Dan

Is that $3500 the SRP or what we'll actually be paying?

February 23, 2012

The FS100 already has the features everyone wants, as far as video goes.

Chris

It doesn't take EF mount lenses as far as I know? Cause then I'd probably go for it...

Andrée

It does. Metabones has an adapter that let it communicate with ef lenses..so yourll get electronic aperture and stuff.

Quobetah

except its 5,000 dollars, made of plastic, uses a lens mount nobody cares about, and measures its iso in "gain" which is an archaic method from the old days of camcorders

John Jeffreys

Firmware update will fix the "gain" issue, as it will read in ISO whenever it comes out- There is an EF to E mount adapter that adjusts iris, just on backorder. I dumped my 5D2 for the FS100 and have been pleased at the switch. Still use my 60d and canon glass for backup and b-cam as well.

February 23, 2012

I appreciate its modularity, and how they give you some cool accessories out of the box. I also know there are PL adapters for it and stuff like that. Hey if it works for you, then thats great. Id like to at least play with one.

John Jeffreys

Add to that CP.2 Zeis compact primes has a native emount for its lenses. So yeah, filmakers care about that mount.

Quobetah

When is the E mount CP.2 set coming out?

John Jeffreys

Its been out for a while for emount. http://www.zeiss.com/cine/cp2

February 27, 2012

quobetah

It doesn't have built in ND filters....whyyyyyy?

February 23, 2012

While I've been following 5D Mark III news like a hawk for the past year, it's definitely beyond my budget point.

That being said, I'm excited for the T4i, definitely something I can shoot for (no pun intended). Here's hoping for Digic 5, GH2 like video processing, headphone jack, audio level monitoring, etc.!

February 23, 2012

I'm excited too for T4i, cause finally I will be able to get T3i without feeling that I paid too much for it.

aemi

im using a t2i right now for all my work and its a piece of crap, even though i have it rigged out and with magic lantern, it cant for the life of it keep a fucking image noiseless at 320 iso in a daytime interior scene. its depressing. i need a 5d

February 24, 2012

John Jeffreys

Maybe something wrong with your setup? Also, 320 is a non-native ISO, perhaps that's the problem there.

February 25, 2012

This camera is what the D800 SHOULD have been. Makes me want to jump ship and Ive been shooting Nikon for over 20 years. I never expected these words to come out of my mouth, but Canon has actually made a camera that I want!

Ummm... D4?

Bryan

So you prefer NOT having the uncompressed via HDMI out, headphone jack and audio levels?

Markus

Your comment must be a marketing plant. To say that a 5DmkIII is what a "D800 should have been" makes no sense when there have been no specs announced. None. A rumor of dual card slots, 1 megapixel increase and a $1000 price increase (which I don't believe) cant compare to the D800's uncompressed output, timelapse recording, headphone jack, weather proofing.

Simon B

Really? The 61 pt AF is a "simplified" version for the 1D X vs Nikon d800 full pro AF, same as D4. Same metering on D800 as D4. Canon again cripples 5d3 metering vs 1D X. Clean hdmi 8bit 4;2;2 video out on the d800...not on new 5d3. Crop mode on d800 still provides a 15.5mp image (6fps) Vs about 8mp on 5d3. Shoot at iso6400 on d800, downsize to 16 to 18mp and it will easily compete with 5d3 at iso6400. This is based on seeing sample images from the 1D X!!! And you pay $500 more for the 5d3??!! I can go on....do I need to?

Go read the dpreview canon forums. Abundance of anger. If ..IF...canon really does release a "crippled" 5d3 for $500 more than the D800, it's gonna get ugly.

JD

This is a PHOTO camera. People, stop pretending that this camera was made for filming cause its not. For budget indie filmakers, Sony already got you covered with the FS100, it has a real cinema camera sensor, an S35, it is amazing in lowligjt, has dual xlr inputs, can record to ssd and sd cards simultaneously, and can output a full 10bit 4:4:4 if the recorder ever becomes available. And it has a fantastic overcrank framerate of 60 fps in 1080p! Something that the C300 and any canon camera under it will NEVER have! And currently only match by the RED cameras. Lenses are not a problem because its emount, which pretty much have an adaptor for any lens that exists..yes all your canon, nikkors,leicas and PLs will fit in this thing. And youll have all that for just 5000 USD! Thats a lot cheaper than buying this hypothetical 5D and building a crazy rig with it which will make you surpass that price by double or tripple anyway.

If your buying dslrs for the pirposes of filmmaking and your willing to spend this much on a body, your looking at the wring brand. Sony have already started killing the dslr filmmaking tools with real cinema cameras starting with the FS100.

Quobetah

SONY VIRAL MARKETING DETECTED

i see your point though. except, the 5d has a 65mm sensor.

John Jeffreys

Not everyone has the budget for that.

moebius22

Actually, you're probably better off going with the GH2 and saving the $4k.

Hummer