Join the discussion about work/life balance in relationships:

February 28, 2012

Celtx is More Than Just Screenwriting: Seeds Program is Giving Away $25,000 in Grants

We've been covering screenwriting software a bit on here, and plenty of you have probably heard of Celtx - but what you might not know is that Celtx has a program called Seeds that seeks to give back to the filmmaking community in the form of grants. It's not often that you see a free software company (excluding the mobile versions) giving money away for nothing. Here is a video explaining the program:

These are the rules for the Seeds program from their website:

• We want to see your single best storytelling video of 15 minutes or less.
  • If you're an individual or a team, share it with seeds@celtx.com through your Celtx account. If you're entering on behalf of a school share it with schoolseeds@celtx.com.
  • That's all you need do. There's no entry fee and it's open to all Celtx account holders.
  • The deadline for sharing is midnight, 15 April 2012. Selected creators/videos will be announced on or before 30 April 2012.

This is how they'll be giving away the money:

• 10 x $2,000 grants for individuals or teams
  • 5 x $1,000 grants for schools (grade school to high school)
  • All selected storytellers and projects receive promotion through Celtx networks on YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo & Google+.

While many grant programs or applications have an entry fee, Celtx just requires that you sign up for a free account with them. I'd say that's a fair trade-off when you consider that the average contest has fees upwards of $30-$40. It's always great to see people or companies trying to give back to the filmmaking community without asking for much in return. You can watch all ten videos of the previous Seeds winners on the Celtx YouTube or Vimeo page, but I've selected one to show here:

It's important for the filmmaking community to stay generous and want to share with each other as much knowledge as possible. It's a tough climate out there for filmmakers, and it's fantastic that Celtx has created a program that gives money back to the community that is supporting them. If you're a screenwriter, check out these other opportunities specifically for screenwriting.

Do you guys know any other companies giving away grant money? If so, please share it below.

Links: Celtx Screenwriting Software and Celtx Seeds Program

Interesting. I've been using Celtx for about 2 years now and I have really loved it...I just upgraded to the Studio and it's pretty awesome to keep drafts consistent wherever I am. One thing bugs me though.....FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I WANT TO BE ABLE TO READ SCRIPTS ON MY ANDROID DEVICE. Sorry.

February 28, 2012

Von

Von, they just announced an Android version a few days ago. It's live.

February 28, 2012

..................are you serious.

February 28, 2012

Von

You betcha.

Android finally available and, if you're using a Studio, I suspect you'll love the new cloud accounts. I hope you guys consider submitting to the Seeds program -- we have a total love affair with indies. Aaron's been a great evangelist for us and that's one of the reasons why we asked him if we could use his Seeds alumni video "Dirge" as a sample video in all new Celtx accounts.

February 28, 2012

I purchased the app and am moving everything over to the cloud service...it looks really nice! Thanks a lot!

February 29, 2012

Von

Wow. This is awesome. Should be great for indie/student writers and filmmakers.

I've been using Celtx for a while now. Still some little quirks I would like to see changed. But can't complain since it's free.

Good job on the short film. However can we do without the cliche' protagonist waking up opening scene.

February 28, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. I can see your point although the were several different openings and I ended up deciding I felt strongly about Ray serving Rod in making sure he got up and got moving each day and not lazing away in depression.

February 28, 2012

This grant is open to anyone right? Like, I'm from the Philippines. If I provide english subs for my film and all that, can I submit it? Or is this strictly a U.S. thing?

February 28, 2012

@Jopy - I think you need to ask Celtx. I doubt anyone here has the authority to properly answer your questions.

February 28, 2012

Thank you Celtix, for all you do for those of us who can't afford Final Draft (and don't want to steal it). Such a noble thing to foster writing before profit. But aside from the wonderful software and grants, is anyone else a Mike Jones fan? http://www.mikejones.tv/ The overused word "brilliant" works well to cover the scope and depth of his insights. Opinionated, unconventional, and uncompromising, he's got a huge handle on impending future (current?) demands for storytellers everywhere. Found him thru Evan Luzi's site the Black and Blue http://www.theblackandblue.com/ that I found here, of course. Quite an extended family you're growing Koo...

February 28, 2012

Michael Locke

Mike Jones is always insightful, and he's at the bleeding edge of storytelling. His blog is terrific - thanks for the comment.

February 28, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

he says end of march in the video but in the text is said videos are to be submitted before april 15, which one is it?

February 29, 2012