We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

March 19, 2012

David Fulde Releases Some Film Light Leak Assets, Spice Up Your Footage for Free

Free is always a good thing - unless it's not really free. Not the case here! David Fulde released today a series of video assets with various film light leak effects. Originally they were to be used with a Creative Commons license, but David has decided to just release them free and clear. It seems like they'll work well as a quick way to add a nice little film effect to your video. Check out the light leaks below and a sample video using them.

A sample of the light leak assets:

This is a video uploaded by David showing the light leaks in action:

Here is David's recommendation for applying these to your footage:

P.S.: to add this footage to your shots, pop them into your NLE and place it on top of your footage and change the blending mode to “Screen”.

There are plenty of uses for these light leak assets, but you certainly can't go wrong with free. If you like them, and use them in a video, be sure to thank David and send the results to his twitter account (@DavidJfulde). It's interesting that the more we get away from using film, the more we want actual film effects in our videos! I know that fashion videos and commercials love using light leaks so if you've got a similar video that needs some help, check these out. The download link is below in our links section.

If anyone is using and likes any other free digital video assets, let us know in the comments so other people in the community can try them out.

Link: David Fulde & Light Leaks Download

thanks!

March 19, 2012

Sal

Brilliant thankyou! These are great!

Because the test video is in a dark room and the footage is so steady it looks unnatural to be getting these random flares entering the frame so it doesnt really show of these leaks at their best. Some nice sunny handheld footage would have shown them off to their best.

Really useful to have.

March 19, 2012

Tom

Thanks!

And yeah, I'm aware that it isn't the most ideal situation to show them in, but I was making the video and decided, "Hey. why the hell not?" ha ha. I jsut wanted to show people one idea for how to use the leaks.

March 19, 2012

Thanks a lot David, it's really good of you to release these things for free. Also, I love the music in that video, you've just helped me find the sound I was looking for.

March 20, 2012

Northerngeek

Thanks for the kind words. And, what can I say: I have terrible, terrible business sense :P ha ha ha

Also: Yeah. The music is by a dude named Josh Woodward, who I like to refer to as "Creative Commons music you'll put on your iPod' he has instrumental versions of pretty much all of his songs as well. You can use it anywhere as long as he is credited :)

March 20, 2012

Awesome!
There's more free filmburns on my site.

March 20, 2012

You should know that the mailing list option doesn't seem to work, at least for me. Tried two different adresses, received a "The requested URL /subscribe/confirm was not found on this server." error each time.

March 20, 2012

Hmm, works for me. Try again.

April 2, 2012

I love it! Nostalgia for something that was never a problem for professional film makers. How many light leaks did you see in "Citizen Cane?"

Having been there ... (I was born before WWII), I never saw light leaks in Hollywood movies and seldom in home movies.

BTW color movies Were NOT Faded when first released. The fading has occurred over the last fifty years.

But feel free to reinvent a past that never was, your audience will never know the difference.

March 20, 2012

c.d.embrey

So if it's not in Citizen Kane it shouldn't be used for any artistic purposes in any other films? There is a romantic and yes, even antiquated sensation from lens flares that can be utilized to evoke a wide variety of emotions and feelings in the viewer depending on how they are used.

I've recently been debating using real lens flares for a dream sequence in a project, not because they are replicating the past, but because they are an artistic tool, and in this case they add a degree of haziness and blur to the images that I feel will properly help set the mood and environment of the scene.

Either way, thank you David for the great tools, and your kindness to give them away.

March 20, 2012

Darius

Way to go being an old hat, friend.

March 21, 2012

Natt

For people who like free stock footage, I released a free 7gb stock footage pack with explosion, muzlle flashes and blood hits, (similar to action essentials) might be interesting for somebody, here the link for the commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGRS6FIR1Bs
and here the link for the torrents: www.trashuncompressed.com.br

I know there is anything to do with light leaks. But this footage probably gonna help a lot of people. :)

Enjoy!

March 22, 2012

For the people that are looking for more examples the light streaks at work, you can check out this video:

They work really well and adds a lot of life to a video. David fantastic job. I couldn't of ask for anything better. A huge thank you :)

March 26, 2012

Oh, nice! Great job man! It doesn't hurt that it was shot well! :)

April 24, 2012

Here i used these flair for my text animation. Thanks

March 30, 2012

Santosh

March 4, 2013

ATV

This is brilliant, thanks for these free effects David, and for the article Joe!

If your readers are looking to collect free light leak effects they can download another free collection here.

Here are the effects in action.

Thanks again for the article and again for the free effects.

Charlie @ LightLeakLove