April 22, 2012

20-minute Color Grading Tutorial for Premiere Pro CS 5.5 with Lots of Useful Tips

While Adobe CS6 is coming down the pike, maybe you're like me and are still getting to know CS 5.5, or maybe you've been using CS 5.5 for awhile and want to brush up on your editing workflow. In either case, you should check out this Premiere Pro CS 5.5 tutorial by Jarle Leirpoll. He goes over all sorts of useful primary and secondary color correction techniques, including methods for fixing moire, blown-out highlights, iris adjustments, and more. Check out the tutorial video below:

You can download Jarle's Premiere Pro presets here.

Link: Color Grading and finishing in Premiere Pro CS 5.5

Via [Filmmaker IQ]

Cheers For this Justin. Really keen to check out Speedgrade in the upcoming CS6!

Lliam Worthington

"Buys a Red Scarlet, changes While Balance and ISO in post like a boss."
Just kidding, good stuff, i'm terrible at color grading so this helps.

Raphael

premiere pro makes no sense to me, its like im reading japanese

john jeffreys

But you can actually learn both, Japanese and premiere pro.

maghox

lol. Fantastic post.

Lliam Worthington

Took me a week or so before it finally started to click but I'm getting more comfortable with each edit session.

April 26, 2012

Marcial

Nice tutorial but a tad antiquated at this point as the color tools are all new in CS6 including, finally, a useable 2-Way corrector. Not to mention Speedgrade...

Lance Bachelder

Sorry typo - 3-Way corrector

Lance Bachelder

But to those of us without CS6 quite helpful!

April 23, 2012

Aaron

I am about to check it out myself, but in most cases I watch tutorials in any DAW as there is always some tip or information that is beyond the version, GUI or software you are using. I hope to find any advise on that level on this video.

April 23, 2012

maghoxfr

Lance, what makes you think I will not make a new tutorial for CS6? :-) CS5.5 is still the newest version of Premiere out there, so it's not dated - yet! Watch out for some CS6 tutorials in a couple of weeks.

April 27, 2012

yes cs6 will be killa! thanks for the tutorial. i work a lot of years with premiere but never used it like this. it´s a huge thing to do those things with the internal effects cause you never need to render it if u have the cuda hardware engine. effects like magic bullet are so damn slow with rendering and are also not very high quality. they are just not good programmed. that´s really not worth to spend money on red giant. the stuff that comes out there alway looks the same...

ben

I recently came across this video as well, but feel its not useful when you are dealing with multiple clips. If you guys have ever read the DV Rebel Guide, Stu has some great workflow solutions for grading multiple clips, the most useful is the thumbnails of all of the clips, so you can see how your grade is looking compared to similar shots and as a whole video. I really REALLY want some sort of functionality like this in Premiere, as the back and fourth from After Effects to Premiere is a joke. I need fast results, not clunky IN and Out of apps and single view grading. If anyone has seen something like this for Permiere, please, let me know, I have a music video that needs your url/book/guru tips!

April 22, 2012

back and fourth from After Effects to Premiere works quite good for me. try this in final cut! that´s complicated. i think everyone got to find his own way to color graid. some need to do it very fast, others very good. for the fast ones the internal effects are the best i think.

April 23, 2012

ben

Just spend the time learning DaVinci Resolve. It's fast, free and flexible, not to mention it is maybe the best grading software available whether you are a novice or a pro.

Chris Mammarelli

I agree. Now that I'm used to Resolve, I do all my color correction work on it. It's a great app and version 9 is coming soon, which will be easier to use. Now that SpeedGrade will be part CS6, I might take a look at it, but Resolve is really a great app.

April 23, 2012

Yessssss I needed this so badly. I don't understand grading at all, but I'm about to have to do a whole film and I definitely can't afford to hire a pro. This should be very helpful, and might help me move my grade at least into the realm of being acceptable looking.

April 22, 2012

Does anyone use Photoshop to color grade? I've figured a nice workflow between that and Premiere and since I'm already very comfortable in Photoshop it works out quite nicely. Granted I might be handicapping myself because I haven't had to learn other color correcting software which in the end might be better.

April 23, 2012

Aaron

Thank you. I feel like I've had a six month education in 20 minutes.

April 26, 2012

Marcial

Marcial, can I quote you on that? :-)

April 27, 2012

Sure. Thanks again for passing on the knowledge.

April 27, 2012

Marcial

Thanks!

April 28, 2012

Aaron, please share your photoshop workflow. I'm comfortable using a combination of the inbuilt tools and Boris Continuum Complete but I'm always curious about alternatives.

May 2, 2012