May 14, 2012

How Durable is Your Camera? A Canon 7D is Tested to the Extreme

We've been testing cameras for performance in ideal conditions, and also in not-so-ideal conditions, but this is just ridiculous. Kai Wong and the guys over at DigitalRev were kindly donated a Canon 7D to see how much punishment that little camera could take. The 7D has a magnesium alloy body, so it's much more capable of handling inclement weather -- but what if it were frozen in a block of ice, or set on fire? Could it still take photos? Check out the video below to find out.

Kai Wong and DigitalRev destroy a Canon 7D:

Don't try this at home with any camera you have, but if you've got a Canon 7D or any DSLR with a metal body, there's a good chance it will survive a heck of a lot of impact and stress. There are a few simple things that can be replaced on these DSLRs without too much difficulty, one of them being the plastic cover over the LCD on the back of the camera. I've done this multiple times with cameras and there are plenty of good tutorials out there to show you how to do it. It's remarkable that after the lengthy beating this camera was given, that it was still able to take a photo, and the autofocus and mirror were both still working.

Anyone have any camera horror stories like the one above?

[via The Verge & DigitalRev]

Quite impressive. These gents must have great luck, or rather I have poor luck. My 7D was recently in a checked camera bag on a flight with other gear. When the bag arrived, the 7D would not turn on - not one scratch on the body...but I'm guessing somehow in transit it got knocked hard...and well it's done for - but the rest of the gear was perfectly fine.

May 14, 2012

oh my god i cant watch this i barely made it past the first "truck test" scene without cringing and shivering like 20 times

what a perfectly good camera this is so disgusting and wasteful

May 14, 2012

john jeffreys

it's just a camera homeboy

jime

To some, though, its hours and hours and HOURS of working hard and saving up for something they really want. I mean, of course, its nothing compared to say 'how durable is this baby?' but i imagine itd still be pretty shattering for some people who see this.

Jason

Larry

Hahaha! Awesome.

Wayne

No, no its not.
A camera is way, way more than a simple machine, its the closest thing we have right now to materializing our thoughts and inner feelings (film, photography). I work with student filmmakers from rough socioeconomic backgrounds and most of them can barely afford a t2i and would jump at the chance to even shoot once with a *fairly* high end camera like a 7D, and then to see one just destroyed for the sake of page views and ad revenue on youtube really makes me rage.

john jeffreys

"A camera is way, way more than a simple machine, its the closest thing we have right now to materializing our thoughts and inner feelings (film, photography). "

If you can't do drawings or music, try poetry, it's cheaper. :)

May 15, 2012

poetry is nowhere near as immersive as a giant screen and speakers in your face

john jeffreys

I shoot with a t2i and a 7d everyday and they have the same quality in the end, the 7D just has more buttons.
We can romanticize gear and equipment all day long, but in 2 years it'll be old news and in 10 it'll be gone. The 7D has been out for around 2 years so by lighting this camera on fire it probably got more airtime than it ever would have without it.

"the camera is closest thing we have to materializing our thoughts and inner feelings"
What about the people have been creating art for thousands of years before this relatively recent invention?

Aaron

actually the 7D outputs an HD signal to an external monitor during recording so your focus puller can work more comfortably. it also has a better built body, and an 8fps stills drive mode if you want to do add a choppy/stop motion-esque look to your shots.

enough gear talk, youre right

anyway, those artists of the past thousands of years don't know what they are missing. digital media gives you near-freedom in image making.

john jeffreys

I was generalizing when I said "more buttons", I meant it has more features. The bottom line is that someone who has a little bit of patience can achieve the same quality with a t2i as one can get with a 7d.

Freedom is great and all but limits are possibilities. I'm in awe of the past and excited for the future but let's not get too carried away hahaha

Aaron

These are material things. Destroying the tool means nothing. (Now if they were destroying the only copy of a beautiful film or photograph made with that camera, that would be a tragedy.)

If someone did that to *my* 7D (as much as I sometimes fantasize about destroying it occasionally)...I'd be mad. But it's not my 7D. Kill away. (Burning plasic is bad for the environment though...)

It kind of reminds me of that great Top Gear story where they (try to) destroy a Toyota truck.

May 19, 2012

Daniel Mimura

Yeah, Bro... chill.

Tom

Wake me up when it's as durable as a cheap microphone:

Peter

I mean that's impressive as well, but a camera has multiple moving parts, an internal processor, a battery, and is an all around more complicated piece of machinery hahaha

Aaron

what a perfectly good bottle of Heineken, this is so disgusting and wasteful...

May 16, 2012

Jeff

impressive... but the Rebel didn't do a lot worse than this either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

May 15, 2012

Should have shot the fire out.

Cassidy

Yes, but WILL IT BLEND?!
NSFW: http://youtu.be/3zcdoa0XCFo

May 17, 2012

Awesome.

May 19, 2012

Daniel Mimura

Hah, these guys are nuts! In a good way obviously :)

May 17, 2012

Tony

Being disabled is so funny.

May 17, 2012

Geoff Longford

This is a great blog and really enjoyed trawley

May 18, 2012

So the worst part of a Canon 7D is the stupid CF card's pinhole technology that ruined a day of shooting for me. lol

May 18, 2012

Cal

I love DigitalRevTV - these guys do great reviews and tutorials.
Look at their recent D800 vs. 5D MkIII test, it is so funny yet still packed with information.

May 21, 2012

Heiko

I own a 7D that I use for stills and I feel a great deal better about my choice after viewing this video.

May 22, 2012