May 5, 2012

Want to Watch the Canon C500 Projected in 4K? Go Check This Out if You're in LA

Curious about Canon's EOS C500?  Wondering what the footage actually looks like projected in 4K, and what the post-process workflow is like?  If you're in the L.A. area you should sign up for this free event being held by Canon -- it's a workshop geared around scratching just those kinds of questions.  They'll screen the C500-shot Man and Beast, previously shown alongside The Ticket at NAB, and have C500's on-hand.  Here are the details:

It will be happening May 10, 2012, from 6:00pm-8:00pm:

The evening will begin with a 4K screening of Man and Beast, a short film shot with the EOS C500 by Director Dante Ariola, DP Jeff Cronenweth and 2nd Unit DP Peter Simonite. Peter will be on hand to share his behind the scene insights and an operator’s perspective on shooting with the EOS C500.

Man and Beast was processed and colored by postproduction house Fotokem. After the screening, representatives will unfold the post process from beginning to end. The evening will conclude with a Canon representative providing a brief introduction on the EOS C500, followed by an open Q&A.

EOS C500 cameras will be available for demonstration by Canon Professional Market Specialists at this event.

Register for free here (it's required).  If you get a chance to go, let us know what you think!

I want to hear cronenweth's thoughts on the C500 but haven't found anything, anyone read anything in this regard?

May 5, 2012

carlos

You can watch the making of and catch some insights: http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/media-gallery.php

May 6, 2012

Lance Bachelder

I signed up, I enjoy ogling at things beyond my price range.

May 5, 2012

Aaron

Thanks for posting about this! I attended the event last night and was blown away by the quality of the footage coming off the C500.

Also, particularly helpful was the presentation by Peter Simonite, 2nd Unit DP for MAN & BEAST. He was extremely enthusiastic about how the camera performed, and how easy it was for him to use. He and another DP, Matthew Irving, both shared sentiments about the camera felt like a trusted tool right off the bat, and about how the image from the camera really has that "magic" that film has provided for so many years.

I would have loved to seen MAN & BEAST back to back with THE TICKET in the 4K theater to compare what all the additional compression on the 1DC does to the image. But overall, great event!

May 11, 2012

Awesome! i wish I could have been there, it sounds like it was a great event.

May 11, 2012

Yes, I was there as well. I thought it was a great event. They gave a lot of helpful information about the C500, and they did a good job making an effort to shed as much light on the process of making the short. Man and Beast was interesting, and the footage that came out of the C500 was really pretty. It really looked sharp, especially being shown in 4k, but to me it still looked too digital. Matthew was talking about the "magic" but I didn't see it like he did. It just didn't have to organic-feel to it, in my opinion. But, it was just there first attempt, with a pre production model of the camera, so hopefully it improves in the future. One small side note that was kind of a bummer was when the rep from canon stated that they definitely have no plans of using interchangeable (EF to PL) mounts on their camera. All in all it is exciting to see what is coming, and that it will only get better.

May 11, 2012