Superproducer Ted Hope on...

The Mac Pro Gets an Update from Apple, Major Features Are Still Missing

If you were one of those vocal supporters looking for an answer from Apple regarding the Mac Pro, you're in luck (sort of). Today, along with Retina Macbook Pros, Apple updated its Mac Pro towers. Unfortunately, it seems like Apple is moving further and further from the high-end professional market. Though additional resolution can certainly benefit professionals, many pros need a machine that has easily upgradeable parts, and is able to scale to their needs. If your work requires a Mac Pro, your options with Apple will be limited compared to the competition.

Apple spent most of the WWDC 2012 going over the numerous updates to their hardware, as well as the incredible amount of new features in their mobile software. What these updates mean is clear: Apple will begin shifting its product line only to those products that are selling well. The 17" Macbook Pro was also absent from updates, and has now been removed from the Apple site altogether -- which signals a shift to smaller, faster, and higher resolutions as opposed to bigger, faster, and higher resolutions.

Here is a bit from The Verge on the new Mac Pros:

Unfortunately, it's not much of an upgrade: you can simply get a pair of six-core 3.06GHz Intel Xeon X5675 processors rather than the 2.93GHz ones we just mentioned. The base model will start at $2,499 for a single quad-core Intel Xeon W3565 processor at 3.2GHz, with an optional upgrade to a six-core chip, or you can spend $3,799 to get a dual-processor configuration with a pair of the Westmere-EP based 2.4GHz E5645 chips, and upgrade to the aforementioned X5675 for an unspecified amount.

The biggest omission in the Mac Pro updates is all of the new features that professionals actually need. While FireWire is still in heavy use, it's clear that the industry is moving to Thunderbolt and/or USB 3.0, both of which have yet to find their way into the aluminum towers. Also missing from the Mac Pro update, is an updated graphics card, as the "new" Mac Pros will still use the older AMD models. If you wanted full CUDA support for Adobe CS6, you won't be able to get it without an NVIDIA card, and it's not going to be an option should you decide to purchase a new Mac Pro.

Many speculated that Apple was waiting for the new Ivy Bridge Xeon processors, and while those have been announced by Intel, Apple chose not to wait for them in their high-end system. There is still a slight chance they might do an additional refresh of the Mac Pros with all of the missing features and hardware, but the future of the Mac Pro line is not looking good.

It's worth noting that if you still want built-in FireWire, Ethernet, and a DVD drive, and extra resolution is at the bottom of your list, you can still purchase non-Retina display Macbook Pros from the Apple store that have a DVD drive and FireWire 800, Ethernet, USB 3.o, and Thunderbolt ports. Both the non-Retina and Retina Macbook Pros, as well as the other hardware updates, are now available to order from the Apple store.

Link: Mac Pro - Apple & Macbook Pro - Apple

[via The Verge]

Yeah, it's dead.

June 11, 2012

This is annoying, How could they not update the ports? Macbook pro usb 3.0 Mac pro no?

G-MAN

Because they would also would have had to update their motherboards, and that would have been a major R&D undertaking because their supplier would have to design a new board. They need to sell a MAC OS version (perhaps matched with specific hardware options) for people building their own computers since they obviously have much less interest in the workstation market.

Marc B

from facebook group:

Stephen,

Pro customers like you are very important to Apple.

As you probably know, we've been continuing to update Final Cut Pro X with revolutionary pro features like industry leading multi-cam support and we just updated Aperture with incredible new image adjustment features.

Although the Mac Pro has been selling to a smaller audience (as you noted) , financial projections have never been the filter for determining our product pipeline. So stay tuned. We are planning a new Mac Pro for later next year.

I'd recommend you also give the new MacBook Pro a look. It is truly jaw dropping.

Best,

Tim

Sent from my iPad

Andy Kaczé

Late NEXT year? So xmas 2013?

LOL

Hugely ridiculous...

sean

With FCPX being what it is, it doesn't seem smart to continue with this company.

moebius22

I think FCP X, while imperfect, is the future of editing. The dynamic timeline is remarkably intuitive, and stepping back into CS 6 feels like a time warp. I just wish X were a bit more stable and fluid, but I think a few more updates and it'll be there.

Hummer

I really agree with you. Though I'm currently doin' my major edit on Adobe CS6, which is truly fantastic, I have FCPX on the side and I use it frequently for projects of my own, cause I wanna master it until it gets better and better cause I really think future of editing will go that way.

Trankilstef

I wanna standalone Retina and a OpenCL/CUDA card thatn drive it.

Peter

Ok.... please Koo, be honest !! ; )
Your hackintosh way is the last option we have, for many of us....
but, is it a really good option ?

I mean for real cinema production, are you not
afraid each time you power your computer ?
I'm using a Scarlet too, with CS6, Resolve and Smoke,
and I just want to be able to work on my R3D every day........
and sleep well at night, knowing that my Hack Pro
will be not more "buggy" than a regular Mac Pro.

So...... "unoficially", can you confirm we will not be disapointing
in using your great "how to buld an hackintosh" guide ?

Jim

Jim,

In the Hackintosh guide I try to make it clear that, if you are working with clients on paying jobs and professional projects, I think you should buy a real Mac Pro or PC workstation. However, the value proposition of the Hackintosh is so great at this point that the risks -- which are, in my experiences, that you might mess something up when you upgrade the OS -- are worth it. I don't have stability problems working with .R3D files nor do I have any issues with Adobe software -- both run great. However, whenever you make a change to the system you run the risk of breaking a sound driver or something, so that's always something to be aware of (do not upgrade your OS in the middle of an editing project, for example -- though I would say the same about a regular Mac Pro)!

Hope that helps!

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I really wanted to buy a Macpro... I have been wainting 3 years a new release !!
But now.... let's face the reality.... Macpro are dead !
It's insane to sell stuff from 4 years old, without any new important technologie
such like thunderbolt, USB3, bluray.... so, I prefer spend my money on a "futur-proof"
computer instead of an antics !! So.... yes, thanks a lot for your help !!
I'm a professionnal, and I always balance the good and the bad of each things I begin,
and now, I thinks it's time to move on, and do by myself what Apple refuse to sell to us.

But, now.... don't you want to update your guide for an 2x8 core, instead of a light i7 ? ; )

Jim

If there is a reliable dual processor Hackintosh out there, I'd love to know about it.

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Here's one that caught my eye:

Max

this company has no interest in the pro market. can you believe that flack's facebook posting above ?
" .. wait till next year ? incremental improvements ? ... "

where have we heard that ? oh yeah, when they were spinning the fcpx garbage.

well .... in a one year window, and you can take my experience and blow it out exponentially, i've dropped final cut pro (and by extension, motion and soundtrack pro) and moved over to adobe.

my next tower (which will be purchased within four months), i will be moving from mac pro to a souped up pc with 'cuda card and ivey bridge.

oh, and as a footnote, i had jumped from iphone to android about a year ago.

is this apple's business model ? making pro's jump ship in droves ?

June 11, 2012

No, Apple just doesn't cater to dinosaur conservatives like you anymore. There is nothing wrong with FCP X, its an incredible editing system held back by awful media bias (consisting of people just like you, exhibitng and catering knee jerk ignorant reactionary opinions). The new MacBook Pro's display is unheard of in any other computer of its size and figure. You are afraid of change, in an industry that is built to change. Get out of it, you geyser.

john jeffreys

Whoa, everyone take it easy.

I think popstream's frustrations are valid no matter what editing platform you are on.

The harsh truth is, it doesn't matter if FCPX is a million times better than anything else out there - the fact that it's DIFFERENT means it's tough for people to switch. So much of editing is all about efficiency in workflow, and quick turnaround time. Many people simply cannot spare 2 months of inefficient editing to learn a new platform when deadlines loom so close.

I think FCPX is a cool program, but I'm still much faster editing in FCP7.

For most professional editors - especially freelance editors - this learning and adjusting has to be done in our free time. When I was a student, it was no big deal to spend a weekend messing around with new programs and trying new things. Now it's different, because after I spend 2-3 weeks without a day off, editing for anywhere between 10 to 14 hours a day, the LAST thing I want to do is spend my free time figuring out something new. I wanna go outside and have a freakin' life, and spend time with the people that are important to me. Eventually, you place a premium on your time.

I'm not saying that change is bad. Progress is a good thing - but change is hard, and requires an investment of your time.

At 27 years old, I wouldn't call myself a "dinosaur conservative" but I do see why people are set in their ways.

Ty

Give FCP X a bit more time. Once you've mastered it, you'll be able to move through edits SO much faster than FCP 7. Even using CS 6 feels like stepping into a time warp.

I can't help but feel that the dynamic timeline is the future of editing, and I absolutely love it.

Hummer

i don't know what you do, Hummer, but I run a business. I spent years on fcs, and I can't jump over to imovie plus --- sorry, fcpx, and "wait" a year or two until it's de-bugged and souped up and ready to handle pro projects., never mind legacy projects.

i also ain't stupid enough to sit around for another year while apple teases us about another phantom mac pro upgrade, while surreptitiously steering the whole ship to cater to soccer moms and youtube uploaders.

i'm a professional, and i'm not putting my business in the hands of a company who quite literally doesn't think there is / or should be a professional 'class' any more .... you stick with 'em, keep handing them your money.

i'm on cs6, and i'm going shopping for a machine that's tries to accommodate the software I use, not undermine it. good luck.

June 12, 2012

FCP X is a bit different, but not *that* different. However, there are many shortcuts, new techniques and tricks to learn — here are a few: http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/cutting-more-quickly-in-fcp-x

June 12, 2012

Ok so I im in desperate need of an upgrade and cannot make a decision especially without a refresh on the iMac and a meaningful refresh on the Mac Pro. I got a quote for a maxed out 27inch iMac 16GB ram ssd + 2TB hard drive for scratch. Should I stick with that, will it suffice for DSLR/HPX CS6 editing on thunderbolt drives? Or get a new Macbook Pro. I would definitely go for the Macbook Pro primarily because of the graphic card and GPU acceleration but I find it painful to edit on a 15 inch screen. Should I go for the retna 16GB ram Macbook Pro option and buy a bigger display? I won't even be using the retna but like I said want that graphic card. I'm over the Mac Pro and want basically an all in one at this point. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

This is the best bang for your buck workstation i've ever seen:

100% upgradable and customizable at just about any time. It can be as powerful as you want it for a very cheap price.

And if you need god level speed at consumer price check this baby out:

ghost

Well since its for a University I don't know how well this would go over. I considered moving to PC but our entire lab is all iMacs. I might build a PC for personal use down the road especially since i edit on CS6..but since I need an all in one and need to order it now (fiscal year ending soon) what would you go with? maxed out iMac or mid level macbook pro 16gb ram with apple display?

Joe

It looks like you should stay away from the new Macbook Pro if you are a power user. This guy's site has detailed performance benchmarks on many different models.

MacBook Pro Retina has SOLDERED MEMORY

moebius22

It has soldered everything if I'm not mistaken. If you watch the launch video or look at the photos, everything was designed to be the smallest profile possible, which means building everything onto the motherboard. Assuming you get 16GB of memory and a relatively big internal hard drive, this is less of a big deal than it might seem. While I would obviously prefer all of these things to be removable and upgradeable, it's the price you pay for smaller and smaller laptops.

The bigger issue is, what happens if any of the parts fail and your warranty has expired? Might as well toss the thing in the trash. Laptops are made to have a shelf life of only a few years. The iMac is almost as bad in terms of its ability to be upgraded. It's the price you pay for a thinner and lighter all-in-one system.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

But the flash storage is apparently upgradable. So you might as well max out the RAM now.

It's really no different than any computer's max RAM configuration, no? I don't think in my 20 years of computer ownership I've ever had a manufacturer's RAM chip actually die.

Hummer

Horrible overly glossy screens, Final Cut X debacle, quicktime dumbing down and this very sad long awaited Mac Pro update.

Sounds like the the super progressive Apple and the super conservative Canon now have something in common - A super long wait for something super disappointing.

Gene Sung

As a Mac Pro user and investor i find this depressing beyond belief. To think the guy in the coffee shop will be getting a better updated "consumer" machine to update his Facebook book page than i will see as a Pro is food for thought.

Innasylum

Hint: just because one has the word "Pro" in the title doesn't mean it is the only computer in the world you can use for professional work...

Hummer

Minor correction to the article: Intel has not released any Ivy Bridge Xeon processors. There is no established release date as of this time.

June 11, 2012

Corrected, I'd read product numbers that referred to an announcement but they were Sandy Bridge. This could also be why Apple is waiting, assuming they want to stay with Xeons in any new releases of Mac Pros.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

After reading the above, I'll save my lamenting for later - although I do agree it puts some of us in a tough spot.

I wonder if the current climate will lead to another company filling this void? Many people seem to be sticking with Adobe software so maybe the best solution is just to switch to Windows - which is easier said than done. People are more open to switching editing platforms but nobody ever talks about switching operating systems.

Although, I have been reading that there is much speculation around Windows 8 being a repeat of the legendary Vista disaster: http://bit.ly/KLAmdZ ... So I am waiting to see how that unfolds.

No matter what your editing platform, it seems like there is a major need for machines that:
1. Run Mac OS
2. Can run the new line of NVIDIA cards (CUDA support)
3. Have Ivy-Bridge processors (heck, I'd take Sandy Bridge at this point)
4. Are easily expandable/customizable aka not an iMac

Maybe companies like Quo will become more accepted in the professional realm - although I'm not sure if these machines are any more stable than a homemade hackintosh: http://quocomputer.com/

And here I am still editing on FCP7 and finishing/grading in After Effects 5.5 - while performance could be snappier, they run good enough on my MacPro and at the end of the day I figure IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT... We'll see how long guys like me can hold out! Once I start working with more 4k footage this setup will cease to be an option. Does anyone here have experience with non-Apple boutique computers running OSX?

Ty

If you want Cuda then buy cuda cards! Same goes for USB3.. though this thing is missing Thunderbolt there's still fiber for high end systems, I'm using software Raid 0 and I can still play Pro Res 4:4:4 at 25 fps with grades on a 2008 MacPro! The price of the new Mac Pro is excellent and if you want more you can simply ad what you want.

raw

No, the price is really not excellent. It's pretty clear Mac is discouraging people from buying them at this juncture.

Hummer

My guess is that Apple will either,

a) Transition the Mac Pro into a beefed up iMac Pro with retina display, or

b) Update the Mac Pro when they release stand-alone retina displays.They're testing the retina display for Pro users with the Macbook Pro, which hits videographers and photographers alike

June 12, 2012

That is an interesting take....

The Mac Book Pro retina display is 2880x1800 on a 15.4 inch display to give the 220 ppi, the current Apple 27" cinema display is 2560 x 1440. So they would need to make a 4K monitor to provide the say 220 ppi (ballpark)

While that would be pretty sweet...it would also cost well over $3k. Well over.

sean

Maybe I'm missing something here.... But what exactly, besides videocards that support CUDA, is the big beef with using an iMac for the majority of editing, finishing, and even AE work? With the current i7 iMac you've got a system that scores higher benchmarks in CPU intensive tasks than the existing base Mac Pro, and maybe THAT is the big complaint if you actually own one of those Mac Pros, but if you're in the market for a machine today, from my perspective I'd be totally stoked to have enough performance to run my edit suite, my color correction package (an iMac can run Resolve in near-real-time even according to their docs), all for essentially $2500 (which is really $1500 if you figure the screen alone will normally cost you $1000). I understand as a car-guy that yeah, I might be interested in the top speed of the new Lamborghini but I also can't afford one, much like a Mac Pro even if they came out with the specs we've all been eagerly bitching about it not having.

So honestly, what is this mythological workflow that just doesn't function at all with an iMac? Because the way some people are griping you'd swear their entire production flow just shit the bed because Apple didn't roll out machines in the $3000-10,000 price range, when most of you I suspect are shooting relatively budget-conscious setups. There's Thunderbolt-to-Expresscard breakout boxes to allow you to run eSATA RAIDs on an iMac now, and Thunderbolt RAIDS are here (if you can afford it). So where, besides video-cards, is the big sticking point for a top range iMac? I just don't see it.

And two final points: first, we've all edited projects on slower systems than even the current Mac Pro if you've been around for a little while, and there's no reason why you still can't do that or even do AE work on one with enough RAM, and second, even if you need the render speed of a faster Mac Pro, with the money you save on buying an iMac you can afford to buy a SECOND iMac and have it as a distributed rendering machine and still have money leftover for more stuff (because let's face it, those damn Mac Pros are obscenely expensive investments).

June 12, 2012

That's a good question. Clearly the upgradeability of a Mac Pro can't be the only factor, since clearly everyobody is eagerly awaiting a new one. So if upgrading your Mac Pro every 4 years translates to updating your iMac every 2, wouldn't you still come out ahead financially? Assuming a new iMac can handle your workflow of course. Running CS6, Resolve, and Smoke would certainly be enough for me.

Scott

Yes that's precisely my point.

I honestly think a lot of this is navel gazing and prosperity thinking. By which I mean that a lot of us would love to think that we NEED a Mac Pro for what we do, but I can assure you that much like cameras, the computer isn't going to be the deciding factor most of the time. I can understand if you're one of a handful (relatively speaking) of businesses who run a studio, let's say a VFX shop, and can honestly put a load on a Mac Pro that would buckle an iMac, but I bet out of the 40+ people here commenting there might be ONE person who is doing that, if that many. For everyone else it's just wasted money, like driving your Ferrari to work..... on speed limited roads.... in traffic.... while coincidentally NOT being Michael Schumacher.

I'm quite tired of all the kvetching and Chicken Little ranting like you saw Apple dating another girl. Digital cinema workflows existed before the iBlah IntelMD NvidiWhatever these schmucks think they need. A lack of USB3 and Thunderbolt isn't going to make your 1, 2, or even 3 camera shot edit a total disaster you bunch of whiners who wish that you could even saturate an existing Mac Pro's data pipes with your work!

*and breath*

I need to drink less coffee...... makes me ragey.

June 12, 2012

Lol. I can't comment on what others may need in terms of hardware/software in their workflow. But I would find it informative if someone had a comment as to why a new iMac with a modern processor and maxed out RAM isn't an option, considering most of us have been doing this with slower processors, GPU's, and less RAM for a long time. I will often find myself falling into the 'gotta have the best' trap, trying to justify a costly purchase with a faster workflow. For me however, the mediocre difference in speed just does not jusitfy the expense. I'm not doing heavily composited VFX shots on 5K R3D footage so maybe the people who are have a different take.

Scott

They're gonna come out with an all new Mac Pro in 2013 and its gonna blow everyone away. Apple is playing for keeps and they want every customer out there.

Max

Oh, but what will all the butthurt "professional" editors say when that happens?

Probably nothing. And then they'll buy one.

Hummer

Every time I read someone ranting about how they're the unique professional snowflake I think of jag-offs who insist that you call them Doctor.... when they aren't medical doctors.... and you encounter them in the supermarket buying celery or some other not-the-ER scenario.

The real pros aren't here posting on forums, they're off on projects being quiet professionals. Everyone else is just A and AA level making rent this month.

June 12, 2012

Lets look at it this way: The Mac Pros run off Xeon processors. The new E5 and E7 lines are expensive... couple that with Apple's markup and you have a Mac Pro that is twice the price. A bump up to the 12 core system (two chips with 6 physical cores) is a nice incentive for those just buying into the system for the first time. The "new" processor is still from 2010... although to be fair the Xeon line doesn't move quickly.

What surprised me, and granted I'm a loyal Windows user and have no real emotions towards Apple, is their piss poor attempt at the upgrade. They could have at least added a mother board with USB3, Thunderbolt, eSATA some more PCIe slots, more internal SATA connectors and redesigned the interior of the case to have more hard drive bays and more exterior room for the accompanying PCIe expansion. At least build in some incentive for current owners to upgrade. As it is, why spend close to $4,000 for, as Apple's site suggests, 1.3x times more performance.

June 12, 2012

It know it's pretty safe to buy an 8 core PC running Win7 64bits with the Adobe suite and do amazing work, get paid for it, all with a minimum of bugs. Premiere Pro equals or surpasses Final Cut 7. No joke. Time to move on. Mac-heads.

FabDex

No, the raging fanbois would rather slog along on 8 bit, until apple tells them 64 bit is cool, around third quarter of 2013.

and no radish-head, just because you stop to offer a comment on the forum, it doesn't mean you're a wanna-be hack. it means, possibly, that you're analyzing options, and not facebooking apple and begging them to take your money.

they flim-flammed you on the editing software, and now they're trying it again with the hardware.

June 12, 2012

I make a living using a MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with more dents in the lid from being toted around from job to job than any other notebook I've ever seen. I used FCS and now FCPX at a third of the price. With my funds I've invested in more camera equipment and necessities for running my small business. I'd hardly say I was flim-flammed on any of those purchases. But I digress because that doesn't matter to my point....

I'm not saying anyone is or isn't a hack, but statistically, based on the low ratio of success in this creative field and others similar to it, there WILL be a majority of people whose best efforts are a lower quality than a much smaller portion whose work really stands out. To put it bluntly, statistically speaking, your work, my work, and most of our work here, probably DOES suck, probably IS crap, and needs a lot more help than a simple hardware or software update can proffer. Part of being a "professional" is recognizing that fact, critiquing your own work, and then wisely choosing where to invest your money based on what yields the largest gain. Being a "professional" requires there to be a self-sustaining profitable enterprise. We aren't all equals, and you can bloviate ad nauseam about this and that anecdotal scenario but a betting man (or woman) would be a fool to put money on your work, or my work, as being anything other than mediocre and that it won't be fixed by whatever business model Apple may decide to go with this week, month, or year.

June 12, 2012

geez calm down all your comments are so negative and for what reason? because some people feel the need for more power? i come to this website because i enjoy the great, well written articles as well as the forums where i can reach out to gain advice. i respect your opinion but no need to totally trash it all with your crazy multiple rants.

Joe

My apologies. Guess they came off kind of harsh when I only wanted to throw a little me-sized bucket of cold water on the writhing mass of moaning.

In the end it comes off as super negative but it's just because I've read so many comments that seem to totally ignore people who say "the camera doesn't make the movie" and "the computer/software doesn't make that much of a difference" and figured maybe the same basic message will be noticed if it's a little more aggro. So I apologize for that aggro perhaps souring your experience of the lower 1/10 of the comments for which I'm responsible. :)

Interesting, the whole "professional" debate is one I get into regularly with good friends who will argue until they're blue that the creative fields are rife with sell-outs and subpar efforts. I tend to fall on the opposite side of things; feeling generally that creative services are a business model, and that quality often plays a greatly decreased part in determining success because things like marketing, promotion, and entrepreneurial hustle can and do play a bigger role, and as a result, since those things are a necessity of making money, it's unfair to say one professional is better/worse than a nonprofessional, because it's not apples to apples. But I digress, per the usual.... Anyhow, sorry for the inconvenience. I've had a shit day.

Pages