August 8, 2012

Thinking About Upgrading to Adobe CS6? Get a $240 Adobe Creative Cloud Discount This Month Only

I've been meaning to do this personally, but almost forgot -- so here's a reminder of an expiring deal. If you're a current user of any Adobe software (CS3 or later), you can upgrade to Adobe's new all-inclusive Creative Cloud membership for $29.95/month (instead of $49.95) for the first year -- a savings of $240. The discount expires at the end of this month (August), so get cracking if you're thinking of signing up.

Adobe Creative Suite 6

To get the discount you'll have to commit to an annual plan instead of month-to-month. If you're not in for the subscription-based pricing, Production Premium is $1899; if you want it all, the Master Collection is $2,599. If, for example, a company is footing the bill and you get to keep the software, these might still make sense. Also, if you're a student or teacher there's an additional $100 discount available on the software packages until August 26th. But considering the monthly membership is $360 for a full year after the discount -- and considering Adobe comes out with new versions basically every year -- they're really making Creative Cloud the most attractive version.

If you're looking for training for this new software, here are a bunch of Premiere Pro video tutorials and some others via Adobe TV.

Links:

Creative cloud is amazing. I couldn't be happier with it. Well worth the money.

August 8, 2012

Agreed. If you use many of the programs in the Master Collection (I use Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator, InDesign, Muse and Lightroom) then Creative Cloud is an absolute bargain.

August 8, 2012

The more ominous warning from them is that CS6 will be the last non-subscription release: this is going to be the mandatory way of buying these apps, last I heard.

I mostly use Apple's apps (FCPX and Aperture, they are elegant and with a few plugins I can do everything I need atm) but I do have MC 5.5. I generally skip 2-3 versions in upgrading the Adobe apps and wait for a deep discount, but if I was using more of them every day I suppose I would go ahead and get this creative cloud, especially if I didn't already own MC.

In the era of $1.99 mobile apps that do more and more every day, I have to wonder whether Adobe will be able to maintain even the supposedly time-limited discount price point. Apple has now murdered Flash, which was much of their franchise. In return Apple scored an own goal on the FCPX launch giving Premiere new life. But FCPX is motoring right along now. We don't know whether the next major release of FCPX will offer an upgrade discount or not, but right now it's just $299 with Motion and Compressor $49 each, use as long as you wish. Hard to beat.

August 8, 2012

Peter

i think if you do professional work and earn money with adobe apps the price is quite fair. and for photoshop and after effects there are no good alternatives. and final cut x for me is not worth 300 bugs. i mean 50 bugs a month for professionals is really not much. and if you don´t earn money with the software you can get it without paying:)

August 8, 2012

ben

August 8, 2012

David

This is still an interesting model for delivering a product. I wonder when/if other companies will follow? The other upside to CC vs a boxed set is that you can install in on two machines, cross-platform. Could not do that with my boxed CS5.5 or CS6 for Mac when I built my Windows editing machine. The license was good for OS X only.

August 8, 2012

David

If you called them up and begged you could get a cross-platform license. It was irrational, and inhuman, and you would sometimes find a rational human on the other end of the line.

August 8, 2012

Peter

I crossgraded from PC to Mac at some point. You had to call, as Peter mentions.

August 8, 2012

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I upgraded this way a week or so ago. I don't make my living doing video, but I do make my living using Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, In-Design and a few other things so it was a no brainer for me after doing some basic maths. I added up the cost of 12 months at the discount and then added another 12 months at full price and it came to just under £1000 which was still only 1/3 the price of buying the upgrade box from CS4 to CS6 (£1500 in the UK). Take away the VAT (20%) and the amount I can claim as a tax break for actually buying software (gasp!) and it makes no sense to do it any other way. Watch this space to see how quickly Microsoft do the same thing with MS Office.

As an aside, while I understand why people pursue free software (I'm not squeaky clean myself) if you make your day-to-day living using a specific program, you should buy a licence and support the company that makes it possible. Doesn't matter if it's a $30 piece of shareware or a big ticket item, do the right thing. Just my two-penn'th.

August 9, 2012

I recently got the box version of Production Premium CS6. I got a student discount through my school that was quite a bit better than even the normal student discount; it was only in the $200 range. For now I'm happy I did it, because while Creative Cloud sounds nice, I'm still a bit wary of having my software be a service that I have to pay for regularly. Plus CS6, at least the version I got, can be installed twice at a time and works on Windows and OS X.

August 9, 2012

cows

The comparisons of student pricing are not relevant to video professionals. First, if you're not an active student or educator and you use education versions of software, you're a pirate, plain and simple. Justify it in your mind if you wish, but you are stealing. Period. Secondly, such a comparison is like saying you can easily earn enough from the proceeds of your productions to meet your financial needs when in fact you live with your Mom and Dad without paying rent. This should be a discussion of professional production tools and the way we pay for them, not schemes to get by with the least possible financial investment as we make a zombie movie with our pals. No offense meant, but I find the whole, "I make TV commercials for a living, and got CS6 for $200 by using my neighbor kid's student ID card" a bit repugnant.

I am on the verge of signing up for Creative Cloud to upgrade from CS5 Master Collection. I can't find any reason not to...and I've looked hard. According to Adobe, I can still run CS5 on the same machine side by side, and if at the end of the year subscription can't justify the upgrade or (gulp) still afford it, I can always let it cancel. There is simply no cheaper or easier way to have repeated access to all the Adobe apps on either platform, even ones I don't want or need now, but may find useful when a new iteration comes to life. I love the idea that if I'm out and suddenly need more disk space, I can dump applications and then reload them. And while I don't have an immediate need, the collaborative tools and disk space that accompany the scenario also seem a worthwhile benefit. The only possible hesitation may be caused by the idea that I may get tricked into upgrading to a brand new and buggy version of an app down the road that might trash projects or destroy productivity in a crisis. But I think I'll do as I have in the past... hang onto my download files of the last good version from Adobe, and be ready to downgrade if a newer version from the Cloud gives me fits.

August 13, 2012

Zan Shin

As an aside, let me reiterate that I mean no offense and am not accusing anyone in this active discussion of stealing or denigrating their work. But I know plenty of "production houses" that openly boast on Facebook and discussion boards of using education licenses for their professional studio work. Apologies if I've ruffled anyone's feathers, but this is an issue to me, and to Apple and Adobe as well.

August 13, 2012

Zan Shin

Journeyed.com always has better pricing for students. The same code works at Journeyed.com, but for a lower discount.

August 13, 2012