August 14, 2012

Canon T4i Cameras Recalled: More Than 68,000 Might Suffer from Problem with the Hand Grips

Recalls and issues with cameras are nothing new, and when you're producing hundreds of thousands of an item, there is a good chance there will be a problem somewhere down the line. The issue this time is a problem with the Canon T4i and a chemical on the rubber of the hand grips that could turn white over time and also possibly cause skin irritation (though only one case of skin irritation has been reported so far). Canon initially announced the recall for cameras manufactured between May 31st and June 15th, but they have now extended the date to June 27th. The total number of affected cameras is over 68,000 now -- which is quite a few more than were initially part of the recall.

Here is a bit from the press release (thanks to Canon Rumors):

The front rubber grips of some EOS REBEL T4i units produced in certain lots between May 31st through June 27th, 2012 may turn white after a short period of time. We have determined after inquiry with the rubber manufacturer and analysis, that the white substance is zinc bis (N,N’-dimethyldithiocarbamate). Zinc bis is not used in the production of this product. However, the quantity of rubber accelerator used in the affected production lots was slightly higher than usual. As a result the rubber grips may turn white due to a chemical reaction with the rubber accelerator and other substances. High temperature and high humidity may contribute to this condition. Zinc bis (N,N’-dimethyldithiocarbamate), which becomes deposited on the rubber surface, is created as a result of this chemical reaction.

While it's not immediately obvious when your camera was manufactured, if you look at the sixth digit of the serial number and it reads 1, your camera is part of the recall. If it's 2 or higher, your camera is not part of the recall and should be fine. Canon and Nikon both have plenty of these small issues, and usually they take care of them in a timely manner. While the risk of injury is low (since only one person has been affected so far), it's important to take care of this right away if your camera might be part of the recall. It's usually better to deal with these issues as soon as possible even if the chances of your camera actually having a problem are low.

Canon's previous major recall was related to a light leak issue in the Mark III that wasn't ever really a huge issue (and never affected video shooters). Even if Canon isn't your favorite company in the world, they are usually very good about dealing with these issues. The last thing you need on set is for your DP to get skin irritation, so if you've got an issue, you can see if your camera is affected from the link below.

Link: Canon T4i Recall

[via Canon Rumors and The Verge]

Wow, Canon really seems to be slipping on all fronts now. They were my first love in this whole DSLR thing so they have room for error in my book but it's been a rough 8-12 months for them (or so it seems).

August 14, 2012

Second That

August 14, 2012

Gman

They can't really hear you through the giant wall of money they stacked up

August 14, 2012

john jeffreys

Still don't get the C300 price point at all. Makes no sense whatsoever. It's not even in my top 5 list of camera rentals at this point. Black Magic, Sony FS700, and the Scarlet all come in as cheaper rentals depending on where you look.

August 15, 2012

C300 is a great camera, dont get me wrong. Grain pattern is pretty, low light performance is unmatched, and the design and ergonomics are spot on. But it is not worth the price tag, at all. If they priced it at 5k Canon would have been the iPod/Apple of movie cameras.

August 15, 2012

john jeffreys

People seem to love them. They wouldn't be getting used if they were that crazy over-priced.

Even if they came out at $5K people would complain that it sucks because it doesn't shoot 1080/60.

August 17, 2012

Tyler Rippel

Hi Luke nice to see you on here. You did a review of the fs700. It'll be nice if you also do a review of black magic camera when it comes out.

August 16, 2012

Victor Nguyen

I will be doing one for sure :)

August 17, 2012

The rubber on my 60D expanded until it didn't fit its niche and started to bubble. Eventually it was all coming off. Canon accepted it was a warranty issue.

A different camera, a different problem, but what is it with the rubber gris that is so hard to get right?

August 14, 2012

Villi

Funny, the rubber on the backside of my 5d 2, where your right thumb rests over, has some of its glue dried up or something because i can pop it in and our slightly. It sounds like a snapple cap.

August 14, 2012

john jeffreys

This white thing affects the rubber on the bottom (circa the tripod mount) of my low-serial 5D3 but not the hand grips. I'm not bothered as I don't grip it from the bottom but that musta been the same batch. Nice to know what it is spose. Will avoid wiping my brow with it under the 1K's.

August 15, 2012

Peter

I'm wondering how canon will approach the 1DC? Will they drop the price?
Yes, the c300 is overprice. Remember at it's launch, when the price was announced at $20k, then reds price of $15k was announced for the scarlet, then Canon denounced the c300 price at $15k. The nerve of them.

I personally do not like the look of the c300. It may be a low light king, but skin tones look like plastic from the results shown at it's launch. Maybe it was the operators?

I hear the sony a99 and gh3 are going to be something to look out for.

August 16, 2012

VINCEGORTHO

As much as I love the 1DC and its general concept (4K to CF cards on a DSLR body, 1080p60fps, multiple crop modes for video), it is way, way overpriced. Nobody is going to buy it, except for rental houses and super professional (read: rich) users. It could sell like hotcakes if they dropped the price to 7500 and made it an entry level "gateway drug" camera for the cinema EOS line.

August 16, 2012

john jeffreys

My thoughts exactly. I don't know why they ignored all the customers who help them realize the confidence to pursue themselves as a cinema company. I'm bitter, now. I hope it comes back to bite them.

August 16, 2012

VINCEGORTHO

Oh...now they're recalling hand grips cuz someone had a minor irritation...I wish they recalled the handgrip of the Scoopic. That was the worst handgrip of any camera ever. (still, video, motion picture, whatever).

August 28, 2012