Panasonic Accidentally Unveils the GH3 in Promotional Video
Even though it’s not set to be officially unveiled until Monday, a promotional video for the Panasonic GH3 (the GH2 replacement) was accidentally released ahead of the announcement. The first video was actually released by Panasonic themselves, and has since been removed, but thanks to fast users, it has been uploaded elsewhere. Check out the video and updated specs below for all of the details on the new GH3.
Here are the specs (not all are completely confirmed yet):
- 16MP “Wide Dynamic Range” CMOS sensor
- New Venus 7 engine
- ISO range: 100-12,800
- 6 fps – The GH3 will have the fastest AF to date
- Video Bitrate 50Mbps (72Mbps ALL-I)
- 1080 in 60p/50p/30p/25p/24p in MP4, MOV and AVCHD
- Focus peaking and Time Code
- Electronic shutter
- Weather sealed
- EVF — 1740k OLED
- Touch LCD — 610k OLED.
- Built-in Wi-Fi, 3.5 Mic in, built-in stereo mic
- New external vertical battery grip
- Full application remote control through iOS and Android applications
- Interval shooting and slow motion. Slow Movie extension (40%, 50%, 80%) Fast 160/ 200 / 300%
- Magnesium alloy body
- Bigger, heavier and more expensive than the GH2
To be honest the video felt like the best fake promotional video I’ve ever seen, but the original upload was on a Panasonic YouTube account if I remember correctly. Some of the more important specs people wanted, like 60p, are now certain (if they weren’t already), but there are still a lot of questions around the price. One of the reasons the GH2 took off like it did is because it offered extremely sharp video and high bitrates thanks to a third party hack — but not only that, it cost under $1,000. We’ve been told in numerous rumors that the price is going to be above the GH2 because they are making this a more professional camera. If that does happen, there is definitely a tipping point where users who could afford a GH2 cannot afford a GH3, and many of them will probably just stick with what they have.
With IBC and Photokina, too many cameras have been released to even keep track of, but there is no question a camera exists out there that will give exceptional picture quality and do mostly everything you need it to do. In that sense, we are all very spoiled right now. Just think, a little over 10 years ago we were shooting on mini DV without 24p. Now we’ve got cameras rivaling even the picture quality of film itself.
Link: 4/3 Rumors — GH3
[via DSLR News Shooter]
- Panasonic GH3 Camera Rumors: Higher Bit Rate Codec, Wider Dynamic Range, and More
- Sony Unveils World's First Full-Frame Video Camera
- Shootout: Canon T3i with CineStyle Picture Profile vs Panasonic GH2