Red Giant Has Released PluralEyes 3 and It Will Change Your Audio Syncing Life

PluralEyes has been around for quite some time, and with the increasing popularity of DSLRs and recording dual-system sound, it's been a necessity. Even though newer NLEs like Final Cut Pro X (and not Premiere Pro, unfortunately) have the ability to sync audio, a third-party application like PluralEyes should be able to do it faster and more efficiently, and that's certainly the claim made by Red Giant about the new PluralEyes version 3. This is the first version of PluralEyes since Red Giant acquired the software, so it will be interesting to see what direction it takes from here. Click through for the introduction video from Red Giant:

Here are the new features in PluralEyes 3:

• Serious Speed Boost - Syncs in seconds. Version 3 is 20x faster than Plural Eyes 2. Seriously.
  • New UI and Timeline – Have more confidence with a timeline and visual feedback. Users can identify problems before they happen, and watch the sync occur in real time. But don’t blink, because it will happen FAST!
  • Test and tweak - New quality control options like Two-Up View and Snap to Sync, along with a visual timeline.
  • Get sync functionality in one place - Red Giant’s integration of DualEyes functionality has created a standalone PluralEyes application, taking audio/video syncing out of the NLEs and into its own consolidated work environment. The new standalone application supports a broad range of filmmaking workflows including native DSLR, along with other cameras, file formats and codecs. More info HERE.
  • All Hosts and OS’s for One Price - Previously, you purchased PluralEyes by host app. But… As a part of our Red Pledge, when you purchase PluralEyes 3, you get it for ALL host applications supported by PE3 – not just one. And PE3 supports a lot of apps! Users get exactly what they need with one simplified purchase.

Some other specifics:

• New: $200 (includes ALL supported host apps)
  • Upgrade: $80 – for ANY previous PluralEyes or DualEyes customer
  • Student Version: $100
  • As a part of our Red Pledge Guarantee, customers who bought PluralEyes 3 AFTER 3/17/2012 will get a FREE UPGRADE to PluralEyes 3. A coupon code will be emailed to you shortly.
  • Mac only. Support for Windows and other host applications is coming – PluralEyes 3 owners will get a free update, when released.

Red Giant also released this short film which used multiple cameras and was synced in seconds with the new software:

Making of:

To get started with PluralEyes 3, Red Giant has released a number of videos that show off the capabilites with most of the major NLEs:

Is that enough videos for one post? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, I've always had good experiences with PluralEyes, and the new version seems to taking syncing to a whole other level. What used to take an hour should only take minutes, or even seconds, so there is a reason to explore using a third-party option instead of just using what is built-in to your system. If you're not making videos all the time, though, the software may not be that useful, but I know for the few projects I've used it on, it has literally been a life-saver.

Head on over to Red Giant using the link below to get the software.

Links:

This seems nice, but in controlled multi camera shoots like this, it really isn't that hard to sync 5 cameras manually. even if you don't slate or clap. just find the same accented syllable in each track and put them together on that frame. takes just a few mins.

I'd want to see how a program like this stacks up in much less controlled manner. IE, when the audio isn't SO similar across the board. like, an event shoot, with two cameras starting and stopping at will. and no reliable timecode reference. perhaps with a zoom audio track that was picking up the board the whole time.

dave

Hard, no. Time-consuming, yes. That's the goal with any software that does anything automatically for you. If you're spending an hour or two to sync audio, it means you're not spending time editing.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I tested PluralEyes on several machines and with several projects. It helps at best, I can say. But when 3 cameras and DSLR are shooting on a wedding reception while they are not LINED UP from same angle to the sound source, PE fails badly. I mean waste of time.

First exporting audio take ages (pain on HDD's, though acceptable on SSD's), than analyzing take ages, especially try hard option (I speak for version 2). After that, you can import XML to Premiere and see that majority of files are lined in front or after synced portion, which mean unsynced at all. And from thoose who supposed to be synced they are shattered with no clue.

It is however almost perfect with controled enviroment where a concert is filmed or interview, or any show where cameras DOES NOT MOVE from it's place. But in that cases most of the time I have few long clips running through entire duration. In most cases for my work PE way of doing it takes LONGER than manually. I can start syncin instantly when I open premiere. Syncin wedding (500+ clips) could take several hours (5+) to give than only smal part of clips synced properly on a reference audio clip. The reason I did not bought PE2.

Now I'll try version 3 if anything is better, beside way better GUI (based on demos I see).

November 29, 2012

I've used the older version to sync an entire shoot — a few days of shots — in one step. Took about 10 minutes? The only problem was that about half the clips had no camera sound, and I had to sync them by hand.

Stopping and starting the video camera while the audio continues is no problem, nor is it for FCP X's native sync.

September 27, 2012

No Windows support. :( Or estimated release date. :( Dang. I've been wanting since it was announced. Oh well, I'll stay patient...

Samuel N.

i used this software in some projects, like 3 DSLR camera in 30 TV series and 30 min for each, i use tascam for sound recording, it was fast since and very helpful, great software indeed.

Hi guys,
I am part of the FCP X master race, and we have been able to instantly sync external audio with camera audio at the click of a mouse since day one.

Have fun with your complicated, external program dependent lives, infidels.

john jeffreys

I suppose I'm also a part of this master race and have used FCPX syncing a lot. But I've also used PluralEyes and in more complicated projects it outperforms FCPX. Just saying.

September 27, 2012

I used the demo for DualEyes a few times, but what do you mean by more complicated? Like multi-camera shoots and such?

john jeffreys

In my case, I was syncing a series of music performances that had multiple cameras and audio from an external recorder. There were starts and stops on all devices because there were breaks in the performances. FCPX sync has no way to handle such a task because you are simply selecting a bunch of clips and telling it to sync. It makes wild guesses and puts things all over the place, whether you are syncing to a compound clip or to a Multicam clip - it is the same mechanics. With PluralEyes, you throw all of your clips in chronological sequence onto the timeline, including second, third, fourth cameras, etc onto secondary story lines. PluralEyes then aligns all of it, placing gaps where needed. (You can even throw them on out of sequence if you want, but that would just make it work harder. With file names numbered sequentially there is really no reason you can't just group them on secondary storylines and have them in order.)

The main thing to understand though is that PluralEyes just works differently. It takes more input, but can then handle more complicated tasks. FCPX sync is designed to grab a couple of clips and hit "sync" with no further instructions. They really handle different tasks and compliment one another.

September 27, 2012

+1 . Also FCPX seems to really struggle with multiple cam/multiple audio syncing - 1 audio track is fine, with 2 or more one is always out of sync.

September 29, 2012

The case has not been made for how this outperforms multicam auto sync on FCPX. It might. $200 isn't so steep. But the way things tend to work in practice, you're better off learning your NLE well enough to do everything internally that you can, because incremental changes become important with updated audio etc. With FCPX I haven't found anything to complain about with the auto-sync, yes even across multiple overlapping clips, updating the sync to new audio, etc. etc.

Not many people are truly expert at FCPX yet. There will be anecdata both ways but the burden of proof is on those saying spend more.

Peter

Excuse me? Premiere Pro CS6 does not have automatic audio sync.

Matt

FCP X questions...a little help?

Am I right that in FCP X you need to place the audio for the clip under the video to be able to then select them both and sync? If that's the case, then that's very problematic because you need to locate which audio clips go with which video. So Plural Eyes would seem much preferable.

Regarding the difference for the stand alone Plural Eyes v. the FCP X plural eyes, the FCP version seems messy with too many steps. It seems the stand alone is better but when I watched the video for that one two things stood out: 1. Seems like you create new videos w/ the original sound removed which means you don't have access to that sound easily. 2. The new videos now are taking up extra space on your hard drive. So you'll always need twice the amount of space. Am I missing something?

D.B.

I just make sure that somebody calls out the track name from the recorder and then I scrub through each clip to hear the track name, and then I know which audio clip goes with which video clip.

john jeffreys

What happens when you have to sync up a bunch of start-stop DSLR footage of a long event with one long audio track? We're talking like a hundred clips with no notes on the audio.

Gabe

Providing all your cameras have fairly similar audio, FCPX will most likely get it right in that scenario. What it won't do is group all the clips of a particular camera on the same "track" (i.e. in one secondary storyline). It will stack clips wherever because it doesn't analyze the picture or know anything about the clip other that what its audio waveform looks like. PluralEyes starts off by having you group your clips together on the primary and secondary storylines, and then aligns them for you. So if you have something with five or six cameras, or five or six angles (like a music video), your only real options are PluralEyes or manual syncing.

September 28, 2012

PluralEyes is amazing. I made a 45-minute TV doco before buying the software and syncing took days. I made a 90 minute doco earlier this year and syncing with PluralEyes took about an hour.

September 27, 2012

Unless I'm mistaken, Premiere Pro doesn't have any way to sync audio. You can merge clips, but it doesn't sync them. So pluraleyes is the only alternative to doing it by hand.

Colin

You're right, it does not - so all the more reason for a program like this to exist.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

While premiere dows not have AUTO sync option it is realy easy to do it manually and possibly faster than PE (I yet have to try version 3 though). I use to put all cameras and reference audio on timeline, than enable reference and one camera at once. Paning audio to left and right of each and stretching audio on timeline big. I's very fast to visualy make coarse adjustment, than by listening to audio, until it is "mono" (on center of the headphone). I really need only 2-3 clicks per clip to be synced. I do the t for every camera. If camera have usefull sync point on both shots, than I can do it by video portion. I just make both video angles 50% big and put them left-right on screen so I can see both cameras at once. Simple.

While with PlurayEyes (even v3) I hate when XML is imported in Premiere as DUAL ausio instead of stereo. So I must than put original clips over synced to have project per my liking again. a lot of work. But PE really helps when shoot in controlled enviroment.

November 29, 2012

I think I'm about to cry... Am I crazy or did they drop support for Avid? *stabs everyone*

August Anderson

They say download free trial...but there is no free trial link for Pluraleyes 3 :(

sean

Sean, the Free Trial link is now up: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/pluraleyes/

Ben

I've been waiting for good justification to pick this up - and having just wrapped directing a 7-camera 1.5 hour standup special, I think now is as good a time as any.

September 28, 2012

The film is awesome! And I have to say that after syncing manually for the last couple of years I finally got PluralEyes in February, when I started using Premiere CS6, and the amount of time I save is more than worth the price.

September 28, 2012

Huzzah! Avid support is coming, it's just not there yet. They really just glossed right over that, I was worried!

Q: What does the Mac version support?
A: The Mac version of PluralEyes 3 is available immediately. This release runs in OS 10.7.5 (Lion) and OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion). PluralEyes 3 for Mac can import/export content directly to Apple Final Cut Pro, FCP X and Adobe Premiere Pro, and exports media clips for use in other editing platforms. Direct support for Avid Media Composer is coming soon.

August Anderson

This is fantastic. I use PluralEyes multiple times a week, and I was planning on buying an additional license for my Windows machine, plus a copy of DualEyes, next week. Now, I only had to spend $79 to get all that, plus PluralEyes 3! Awesome timing!

David

Wow. I've now used it and I can't believe how fast it is. I don't like gushing about software, because nothing is perfect, but I am really impressed with this update. ~30 minutes of multicam synced in less than 3 seconds.

September 29, 2012

David

That's incredible. Pays for itself the first time you use it.

September 29, 2012

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

This is terrific. I've used PluralEyes 2 with FCP 7 for the last couple of years on DSLR shoots with double system sound and multicam shoots, and it's wonderful. It is a little slow and clunky, though, so I can't wait to try out PluralEyes 3.

Be aware that it does require OS X 10.7 or later (which is why I haven't been able to try it yet; my main editing Mac is on 10.6.8.)

Ben

One of the few good products that had Edius support. But now it's all gone... argh!!!!

October 1, 2012

Mike

I recently purchased a Tascam DR-40 and have been so happy with how it has improved my videos by adding great audio capabilities. I shoot a lot of events and syncing audio is one of those severely dreaded tasks. I am definitely going to check out Plural Eyes now that it is a standalone app and can work with both FCP X and Premiere (which I use both depending on the project). In my opinion $200 is a great price for the amount of time and unnecessary concentration it saves.

October 4, 2012

I've tried Plural Eyes 2, nice app. Sure can help you in non-professional edits, DSLR oriented, and maybe some short films, live events and so. Will try version 3, at this price must be seriously improved.

But let me tell you something. If you have to sync 200 takes every day, do multiclips, etc, like in a multicamera TV series, or in a movie, you need another kind of workflow. Identical TC on every source, or even the good old slate, will do it faster, at least in my experience. Don't let anybody (production, camera or sound teams) trick you: "We don't need to spend time nor money in the shooting, there is this plugin who syncs EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY".

Its ironic that people who had never sinchronize in their lives, try to teach how to do it better, faster, cheaper. to the ones who have sync tens of thousands.

October 5, 2012

koldo

YES MAN!!
I tried to express that in my above replies. PluralEyes is rather a toy for little boy. It is certainly a tool that can be used in some type of projects. but it need to be well considered if it will be payed off, by how many time one needs it or how much time can be preserved. I have mostly weddings with noisi enviroment... PE fails totally. The best is to shoot continiously for a pre-agreed duration with other cameraman (s), than have some visual cue point when possible (slate, or hand clap, or anything).

November 29, 2012

Syncing takes literally 2 seconds manually if you just use a slate...audio or no audio...

October 8, 2012

pat

Agreed. I used to sync whole wedding day (2 camcorders + DSLR + reference audio track) in a working day (8-10 hours), with 500+ clips. PluralEyes took 5 hours to sync, than another 5 I used to finish and correct things. So...

November 29, 2012

I use PluralEyes2 and find it great, but for one thing. I think its a problem only with premiere pro......The audio in the XML thats generated is greyed out, meaning its hard ( but not impossible) to change levels etc. It still syncs up and keeps audio but seems to disable the audio from changes then. Does anyone know if this glitch is fixed in Version 3?
Ronan

December 10, 2012

Please tell me what to do to synchronize perfectly with PluralEyes Please look here:

February 1, 2013

Luc

If you're just shooting on 1 camera, check out DreamSync (http://dreamsyncapp.com). It's not as cumbersome or expensive as PluralEyes and gets the job done for smaller quick projects.

**There's acutally an app called DreamSync, a standalone application that's built for the novice user as well as professionals. It syncs your footage and audio into one single clip so that it can then be imported into applications like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut X, or any other editing suite.
Both apps are effective depending on your editing workflow and how much (or little) time you want to dedicate to learning another interface for syncing audio/video footage.

October 7, 2014