October 6, 2012

9 Tutorials to Get You Started Making DVD Content in Adobe Encore

We've written a lot on No Film School about the tutorials available for editing, visual effects, and color correction, but there's one area of post production we haven't really touched upon: DVD authoring. However, once you watch these tutorials from Creative Cow's Andrew Devis, you'll have the knowledge you need to start creating content for your DVD's:

In addition to this intro to handling media and creating menus, be sure to check out Devis' later videos in the series which go into creating a Flash-based web DVD (although as we know, Flash's days are numbered), menus with video and audio content, and photo slideshows.

Link: Creative Cow: Adobe Encore Tutorials

[via Filmmaker IQ]

You read my mind! Was just planning on getting into encore. Thanks!

October 6, 2012

Peter Kelly

Ha, me too! Today was literally the day I was going to sit down and try to figure this thing out... Thanks.

October 6, 2012

James

Hey Justin,

Would you mind posting one for blu-ray disc burning as well, or is it pretty much the same steps?

October 6, 2012

Watch the first tutorial, you will see options for blue ray included

October 6, 2012

Peter Kelly

Bluray Menu in Encore is a nightmare, you can't get smooth transitions between submenus, it's a bug that's still exists in CS6. Encore is good for DVD but if you want to get professional results for BD I recommend you use Scenarist.

October 6, 2012

Marvin

Thanks! There are a number of weird niggles about how Encore works (at least in CS5, which I use) that drive me insane...not the least of which is that it will occasionally decided randomly to transcode content that's ready for BD and marked "leave me the hell alone." I'll look into Scenarist as an alternative.

October 8, 2012

trackofalljades

People still make and watch DVDs? In 2012? Really?

October 6, 2012

Ben Incahutz

Yes, really. I've got to grit my teeth and burn DVDs all the time. Even though it's 2012, if you want to submit review copies of a feature length movie to film festivals or distributors (or investors), you'll be making DVDs. Sad, but true.
Want to sell copies of your film directly at screenings? You'll be making DVDs for that too. And try getting anything more than a few cents per view out of Netflix, and you'll see the value in self distributing DVDs at $10 or $20 a pop.

October 6, 2012

Yes, because "people" includes all those millions and millions of folks who aren't video geeks, have no idea how anything works or how it should look, and still can't figure out how to use their HDTV to display content in its original aspect ratio. They'd probably still be using VHS if someone hadn't taken away their composite connections.

October 8, 2012

trackofalljades

Yes, I film ice skating videos and we output to DVD because that is what most people have. The uptake of new technology into the general public is quite slow.

Only a portion of people have HD TVs and only a far smaller portion of them have blu ray players. HD technology only came out widely about 5 or so years ago. Before that it was like when plasma TVs were introduced. Sure they were around but they cost $20,000 so who on earth had one. As of the end of March 2012 while there were 60million TVs in the UK, there is only a 42% uptake of HD TV (http://media.ofcom.org.uk/facts/), I didn't see the stats on Blu-Ray players in the UK. In the US though, as of the end of 2011 61% of house holds had a HD TV and only 25% of houses had a Blu Ray player. On the other hand 91% of houses have a DVD player which is actually up 4% on the previous year (http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/centris-blu-ray-player-hou...).

So for us that produce media this means that it is far more profitable to concentrate on the 91% of households that have a DVD player, versus the 25% of house holds that have a Blue Ray player. It is just a bigger market.

October 11, 2012

I get it about HDTV adaptation and all that...but most of these people have computers which are all (at this point) higher resolution than DVD.

A friend (who is only 3 or 4 years older than me, but is definitely starting those "set in their ways" habits) gave me dailies on a DVD. I was flabbergasted. Really? Why?

borrow my hard drive or put it on a thumb drive or upload it...

why waste a disc? I only wanted to see it once...

there is no good reason for dvd anymore.

Now BR...i'm all for it...I prefer it to streaming b/c of bandwidth and quality...but DVD should be dead. Seriously, how many grandparents now don't have internet?

October 13, 2012

Daniel Mimura

Here's an analogy:

When the UK introduced the Disability Discrimination Act, a lot of business complained that they had to build ramps and make their shops, pubs, cinemas etc accessible to everybody.

But I saw it as making perfect sense: disabled people have money so why would you want to turn them away - and their cash?

Same with DVD... and all the other methods of distribution. Burn a few DVDs (or burn lots of them) but consider web distribution and even memory sticks as well... they are a market too.

It would be easier if everybody watched the same media, but they don't, so we producers just have to work a bit harder to get our stuff out there.

April 18, 2013

Thanks a ton for the tutorials. These helped me a lot with creating my first wedding DVD/Blu ray!

July 13, 2013

Logan

My employer updated a very old version of Premiere Pro for me on a new laptop (usually use AVID) and and Encore came with the bundle. Hadn't got a clue until I found these tutorials. Very straight forward, well explained and easy to follow. Thank you so much!

November 13, 2013