October 29, 2012

On Set with James Bond: Behind the Scenes Footage from 'Skyfall'

Have you you ever wondered what a twenty minute montage of making a James Bond film (and the first digital one at that) would look like? Fortunately, the web provides. I'm usually rather apathetic towards Bond movies before the fact -- but this raw, unnarrated behind-the-scenes footage has got me pretty intrigued about the upcoming Skyfall. For one thing, there is some really exciting stunt-work going on in these clips, even with all the wires and safety cushions still un-rotoscoped away. And for another thing -- actually, on second thought, we'll get to that later -- these videos have been going on and off-line, and being so clearly unstable, there's really no time to waste. If you want to check them out, read on.

Although from these alternate angles you can't see much of Roger Deakins's cinematography, you are able to get a really good look at some of the production design that's already drawn comparisons to Blade Runner (and that's more than fine by me). There's also just an amazing amount of what looks like very dangerous things really happening. Even with safety measures in place, there's something only slightly secure about driving a motorcycle along the top of a wall, for instance -- a real testament to the aptitude of the stunt department as well as the value of accomplishing such feats in-camera.

And from the looks of this footage, there's going to be a good amount of other stuff to offset all that action -- stuff like intrigue, drama, and character development -- you know, that boring stuff that critics like? Just kidding, I'm sure we all like that boring stuff too. But I'd say, if the balance of action and story apparent in these videos correlates to the pacing of the film, we're awaiting a pretty impressive blockbuster in Skyfall.

Are you guys buying into the hype for this film? If you weren't before, did these videos change your mind at all? Are any of you just-plain excited?

Link: TrailerAddict

[via SlashFilm]

Heh, those camera man are so chill.

*car flips*

CUT

*puts down camera and just walks off*

October 29, 2012

Tyler

I love how the one guy just let the car slide straight to his foot and places his foot on the car as it stops perfectly in front of him... Ok CUT!

October 29, 2012

Only first 15 minutes of the movie was nice and intense. Then you were just watching it without any heart jumps. Also, I think that a different angel of the train falling under the ground scene was used in the final movie - the angle from behind the scenes looks much more dynamic.

October 29, 2012

Nikolay

This is a pretty cool insight into how they cover and shoot a lot of these scenes. Pretty awesome to see all the toys we'd like to use being applied in unison and in pretty exciting ways. Thanks for the post, looking forward to seeing the final product.

October 29, 2012

I had a very similar thought -- it's not new to us necessarily, but watching the different set-ups and achieving that coverage is always really cool to see!

October 29, 2012

Dave Kendricken
Writer
Freelancer

Thanks for these. Amazing that more people don't get hurt during the filming of action packed shoots like this. Or do they?

October 29, 2012

Nate

Every now and then people DO get hurt - and although rarely - lose their life... But you almost never get to hear about it...

November 4, 2012

Nice post

October 29, 2012

Alex

Nice post indeed.It's a paradox but i feel that it was exciting and underwhelming at the same time.

October 29, 2012

konstantinos

Having the luxury of being in the uk I can tell you the film is really good... nice to see it from another angle, and see what really went into it. It always amazes me how somehow with the right camera, and right sound something can become so much more dramatic than it was perceived on set with a 'normal' camera. Thanks for finding these.

P.S. The train and bike chase was the worst bit of the movie sadly - just didn't do anything for the film.

October 29, 2012

Dom

Agreed entirely, went to the UK last friday to see Skyfall.

I thought the movie became more and more exciting the closer it came to the end. The first 15 minutes were pretty boring to me, after that I loved every bit!

November 1, 2012

Chris

filming is too dangerous for my taste

October 29, 2012

Mauricio

behind the scenes vids give me such raggers.

October 30, 2012

J

Thanks for the best post nofilmschool have done in weeks. I loved it.

October 30, 2012

maghoxfr

Does anyone know what the B-Roll footage was shot with. I'm guessing the Alexa as well but... Well... I don't know.

November 1, 2012

Dovelyn Richmond

First of all, thank you very much for the post.

I've seen the older James Bond movies. Since Pierce Brosnan I've only seen A Quantum of Solace and I didn't like it.
Generally, I don't like watching movies that are supposed to feel real but the action is unachievable in real life. I guess, a lot of you guys will disagree.

But now I just want to see the movie, because I want to compare the b-roll action to the final product. You definitely changed my mind.

But I don't know, if I should thank you or not for that. We'll see.

November 2, 2012

This is sooo cool. It's movie making. Great genre, popcorn movie making with substance. How can anyone NOT like it?

November 2, 2012

MARK11

Hey these are great. thanks for posting.

November 2, 2012