Diagram, Shotlist, and 'Pocket-Block' Your Scene with the Shot Designer App

Thanks to Hollywood Camera Work's new app Shot Designer, you can now design and block camera coverage of your scene almost as fast as you can think it -- even on your mobile device. An intuitive interface allows precise control for plotting (and animating) all the essential aspects of shooting your scene in a classic top-down diagram style. A limited (single-scene-at-a-time) release is available for free, and the $20 Pro version has some key perks too. Read on for the intro video and a more detailed list of Shot Designer's features.

Here's the basic rundown of what the free version of the app allows you to design (and why it's so cool):

• Camera placement and angle of view
  • Character placement and angle of orientation
  • Animation of camera/character paths -- multi-step blocking, akin to storyboarding 'keyframes' in a moving shot
  • Shotlists -- items are easily connected to points in the diagram
  • Importing storyboards -- also easily connected to points in the diagram
  • Director's Viewfinder -- uses your mobile device's camera to visualize various focal lengths
  • Built-in Set Designer -- customization of floor-plans
  • Lighting Designer -- light type/placement and orientation
  • Pre-made Plots -- easily load and modify common setups
  • iOS and Android compatible -- includes smart-phones (where 'Pocket-Blocking' truly applies)
  • Mac and PC compatible -- but not in direct connection with your mobile (see Pro options below)

These videos demonstrate how elegantly each of these features is implemented, and in a design perfect for mobile situations. I gave the Mac desktop version a shot, and it is indeed as intuitive, simple, and easy to use as it seems (although, for a computer with a keyboard, it may be too simple -- more on this below).

If all of this seems too good to be true, here's the list of things you can only do with the Pro version:

• 'Scene Freeze' -- allows you to snapshot a configuration you can return to if you want to, say, experiment and revert
  • Exporting to PDF, MS Excel, or JPG, plus emailing your layouts and shotlists
  • Unlimited Folder Structure to get as complex with your planning as you need

That's right -- you can't export to any of those formats without purchasing the upgrade. In fact, with the free version, you can't actually save your scene in any traditional sense (short of taking a screen-cap of it). So even though you can run Shot Designer for free on both your PC and your mobile, you can't transfer files back and forth between them -- and again, you can only work on one scene at a time.

Not to mention it looks as though the desktop version of Shot Designer (and I'd assume the same would be true of the Pro desktop version, though anyone who owns it may let me know if this is incorrect) has only one input method -- clicking. This actually makes sense, given that its design makes it entirely practical to use on something like an iPad, which really only has the input method of 'clicking.' Scrolling works too, but again, that's because you can scroll on a touch-only tablet.

I only stress these limitations of the free version of the app because, actually, it seems to me like Shot Designer Pro is a fantastic scene-diagramming engine, and one that is almost certainly worth the $20 it costs. And if future iterations maybe worked in hotkey options for desktop versions, and if the company is able to provide the syncing systems it's looking into, I can say that I myself would be happy to lay down one Andrew Jackson U.S. for it. Here's Hollywood Camera Work on the sync feature they envision (and why it isn't ready yet):

Sure, we could throw in the DropBox API, and you'd be syncing soon. However, that precludes the ability to collaborate in real-time, and leaves Shot Designer a single-user app. In our vision for the future, productions simply abandon paper and do all the shot management in Shot Designer. The Director blocks there. The DP does his lighting. The Script Supervisor logs the shots, and puts in the Director's edits for him. All at the same time. This takes heavy lifting that requires a dedicated sync service. Our goals? First, real-time sync with a max of 5 seconds delay. Second, delayed real-time, so that two people can get on different airplanes, and their changes are intelligently merged -- any sync conflicts that require any babysitting would be a deal-breaker. Third, heavy encryption. We have users who work on blockbusters who can't touch it without heavy and documented encryption. We need to see how people at large use Shot Designer before we can decide which sync road to take.

Especially if/when that vision comes true, I think Hollywood Camera Work has a serious filmmaking asset on its hands. What do you guys think? Do you feel that this could become an incredibly useful pre-production tool? Have any one of you already used it on any shoots you've worked on?

You can find the links to both the iOS and Android versions below, as well as the link to the desktop version at Hollywood Camera Work's website.

Links:

Wow think how much better Lawrence of Arabia could have been if David Lean could have got his hands on the pocket blocking sensation.

tommo

What a ridiculous comment!

Peter Kelly

I think it wasnt literal

t cal

Peter kelly you are a litelar guy arent you?

konstantinos

I know it was sarcastc

October 20, 2012

Peter Kelly

this is one of the best comments I've seen on nofilmschool yet!

October 25, 2012

On a feature film I've shot (as a DP) last summer Adobe Illustrator's template from HCW was absolute irreplaceable for me and director for blocking. It's huge, really huge timesaver.

This app is priceless. I'm happy now!

October 19, 2012

You're welcome to stick to 50 year technology when making your own films, if you'd like. :-) Some of us will take any opportunity to make the our films a little bit better, or at least easier to make.

I'm happy with the other products that I've bought from them in the past, so I have high hopes for this one too.

Shenan

but I believe tommo makes a good point here. since video villages came up, directors went further and further away from where the action happens, with all those "amazing" apps on iphone and ipad and whatever people will start twiddling with this gadgets instead of taking the actors and a viewfinder and do the thing in real. but for preparations this app could actually be useful to some extent - I say to some extent because only on the real shoot you may be able to judge compositions and space restrictions etc.

Mariano

The thing is that this form of overhead shot diagram pre-planning like they teach on the DVDs and seminars is a super time-saver and organizer for directors. I would say it's nearly essential for any fiction director. And now this app makes this form of camera visualization that much easier for directors.

Shenan

on my last shoot I visited the location way before shooting then sat down and created plan views of the location and camera set ups which served as a guide for my camera crew, DP and gaffer. fairly standard stuff I'm sure directors do, so this little app could make that process faster and provide better looking results for sure.

For directors with no or low skilled crew there''s a huge gap between seeing what you want and then having to translate that into the technically feasible for those who can't get inside your head.. on a tiny budget this kind of pre-prep is absolutely invaluable. There are so many useful little apps though, we could do with a suit of apps all linked in together.

Ross

hollywood camera is one of my favorite cinema related companies, rekal products, if u guys havent watched the master courses and the blocking courses, u missint out

t cal

AGREED!

Jerome

Well worth $20 for the full, all-enabled version. Incredibly helpful. I'd donate more than $20 if someone had pitched this on Kickstarter, so it's a bargain in my book.

October 19, 2012

Awesome! going to give the free version a ride. Sure I'll be purchasing the pro version.

October 19, 2012

Think there is a loophole. I emailed them about it so they're aware of it. Somehow I got the pro version for free. Hopefully they fix it.

October 20, 2012

I can't seem to find the app on the Android store.

October 20, 2012

Eddy

Got it fixed :)

This app is worth like $35 - $40. Love it so much. Best $20 you'll spend trust me.

October 20, 2012

Yes will be buying. Looks great.

October 20, 2012

Lliam

I love smart people! So smooth and very ingenious way to make blocking wicked fast... I imagine using overhead sketches, drawings, or photos of a scene as the background image so that we can get a to scale mapping and blocking of the scene. You guys always manage to get me to buy the coolest apps!

October 21, 2012

There are way too many "invaluable" phone apps. Come on. I mean, I use an app to do paperless workflow and some camera and AC apps...but what's wrong with a simple notebook and some sketches?

October 29, 2012