What's Coming in the Next Mac Pro? Predicting Apple's 'Pro' Future

It's no secret that Apple has neglected to update the Mac Pro line in any significant way since 2010. In fact, both the iMac and the Macbook Pro have gotten a few major revisions just in that time span, and many have turned to building Hackintoshes to satisfy the growing need for professional equipment (and to save a few bucks). We're getting word from CEO Tim Cook that one should be coming in 2013, but the details have been vague. A Facebook page was started by Lou Borella, a freelance editor/animator, to bring together professionals looking for Apple to address this growing issue. Now that the new Apple philosophy is becoming more clear, Lou has addressed the state of Apple and the Mac Pro line, and what he thinks will be coming in the next version.

This is a guest post from Lou Borella.

We have no idea what 2013 holds for Mac Pro users. But I think I can make a few intelligent predictions.

1. There will be no optical drive. Face it, if you are still holding out for Blu Ray then you haven't been paying attention.

2. There will be no Firewire 800. Its been slowly disappearing from every piece of hardware Apple has released over the last 2 years. Live with the dongle.

3. I'll bet it doesn't have more than 2 PCI ports and that might be a stretch. All of Apple's hardware have gotten smaller and thinner recently. The only way to accomplish this in the Mac Pro is to lose the 4 perpendicular PCI ports and keep 1 or 2 slots that are parallel to the mother board.

4. Flash memory will be all the rage by WWDC 2013. Don't be surprised if the storage is flash based - and proprietary.

5. More pro users will be more disappointed then impressed. Just like FCPX our expectations will continue to skyrocket as we wait and wait and wait ... and wait. Many of us are imagining an update to the machine we have stared at for the last 10 years. We have to realize that Apple believes that the computer landscape has changed over that time. The new Mac Pro will be reflected in that landscape change. It will be a computer that Apple believes we will need and not not the computer we are hoping they will provide. Just like FCPX was vastly different than FCP7 the new Mac Pro will be vastly different then what we are used to. And just like FCPX it will be impossible for any new Mac Pro to live up to the expectations.

6. If I am correct about #5 then #6 has to be that many pro users will believe that Apple has no clue what we need as a user base. A lot of pros already feel this way for multiple reasons. First, the merging of OSX and iOS has rankled a lot of users (me included). The perceived continued focus on consumer consumption rather than professional creation is another. I say perceived because I don't think that is a conscious decision by Apple. I think its just a byproduct of having the most successful consumer electronics in history. Many people are still creating content on Apple products. And there are companies like AutoDesk that have just recently jumped into the video production space on OSX. That shows a commitment to the platform in spite of the shortage of what we consider to be pro level hardware.

7. We might be wrong in our thinking. The new Mac Pro will not live up to our expectations but that doesn't mean it will not be able to fulfill its role in our business. It will just do it differently and it will force us to think differently about how we work. And we will not be happy about it. Apple believes that the the power of computing lies in the efficient coding of software and the intuitive nature of the user experience. Unlike a company like Adobe or Avid who, for the most part, keep their old code and rely on faster processors to see speed gains. Apple has always pushed the hardware and software to areas that weren't popular. See the death of the floppy, the birth and then killing of the CD and embrace of Thunderbolt and now Lightning and the FCPX launch debacle as examples.

If I were to embrace the "think different" mentality, objectively speaking I could probably buy the top of the line iMac with a fat external Thunderbolt array and all the other peripherals needed for my workflow, for the same cost as what I would have spent on a new Mac Pro had it been released this year. Editing video on the iMac with external storage is a perfectly acceptable combination. Autodesk seems to think so. Video codecs have gotten so efficient that the drain on the hardware has been negated. You will probably be fine doing light compositing and motion graphics on an iMac as well especially now with the CUDA support. I'm not so sure about heavy 3d work and heavy compositing with 4k footage. I don't do more than 1080p and my 3d skills are weak so I can't speak from experience. But I bet it would probably be equal to or better than working on a 2006 or 2008 Mac Pro.

I know the resistance to the iMac comes from the resistance to the change in thinking. I'm guilty of it also. I hate the cables and power supplies that would be needed in an iMac config. But at the risk of being Kodak or Polaroid, or even worse, the digital photographer that says he doesn't use Photoshop because he's an "in camera" kind of guy (which translates as he doesn't have a clue how to use PS), I think we need to really start thinking differently about our computing situations. Apple is not going to stop evolving and if we don't change our adaptation skills we risk being the cranky old guy who longs for DOS.

Face it, at some point there will be no Finder in OSX. If you have been paying attention then you will be prepared. If not then you will be angry but you can't say you were surprised.

Right now I'm not prepared but I think i'm realizing that I need to fix that. I'm not sure how yet but my thinking definitely needs to be addressed.

This post originally appeared on Lou Borella's Facebook page, We Want a New Mac Pro.

What would you guys like to see in this new Mac Pro? Based on Apple's recent announcements, what do you think is plausible? Have you already built your own Hackintosh and plan on keeping it, or have you jumped ship from Apple altogether?

Links:

From the We Want a New Mac Pro page: Hello Apple. We are the Creative Community and we are looking for a little clarity on one of our favorite products. The Mac Pro Tower. Is that too much to ask? Sincerely, Lou Borella (www.vg3tv.com)

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Mac Pro takes the form of a super-charged Mac Mini with a discrete graphics card, multiple onboard drives (SSD + HDD), Thunderbolt, etc.

Hummer

I agree, just like the big hunka T.V I carried around to play video games, now turns into a lightweight plasma screen, thinner/cleaner/sharper. Apple could be secretly preparing the Mac Mini, into a Mac (Mini) Pro. Might have to be a bigger size to be able to fit a graphics card since today's thing is the CUDA from nvidia. LIttle disappointed that they ripped out the gpu from last years line up of Mac mini's for this years. That would stink if they solder the gpu to the mac pro so it's more on the lines of a laptop unchangeable/non upgradable.

October 26, 2012

makes sense, big part of the mac pro is the customizable options especially graphic cards.

Joe

Completely agree... in some ways I feel it would be surprising if they continued to create a product that allows for any consumer aftermarket upgrading. That seems to be the aspect that the community may have to embrace over anything else.

Mitchard

Basically the mid tower we've been asking for all this time. A double height mini with the quad core 3.5GHz i7 and a pair of PCIe slots for less than the base model iMac... I'd order that machine right now.

More likely what will happen is that Apple will continue with locked down, consumer orientated nonsense and the industry will fully transition to linux and Windows.

nobody

Chris on 10.26.12 @ 8:19PM
The reason we do not have a true Mac Pro upgrade has nothing to do with Apple. Do a simple search for a dual-Xeon based motherboard with Thunderbolt and you get nothing. There is no point in upgrading the platform without the inclusion of Thunderbolt–hence the backlash with the processor bump this year.

The pro machines require Xeon procs so it can use ECC RAM. This type of stuff is very important on large renders, CAD, 3D modeling, etc. You cannot build a hackintosh with Xeons and Thunderbolt right now either, and anyone who claims the i7 lineup is as solid as Xeon has simply never worked with server/workstation class workloads and performance requirements.

We should be seeing something in the February to March range based on Intel’s roadmap. This article is based on some of the worst speculation I’ve ever seen and appears to come from someone unfamiliar with the landscape of computer hardware. There is absolutely no way Apple would release a smaller form factor because of things like the Red Rocket, which performs best in a pair. Add a discrete graphics card (or two for a coloring suite) and you quickly fill up your machine. My Mac Pro has two GPUs, a Red Rocket and an eSata board, plus 6 HDDs and 48GB of RAM.

I purchased an rMBP hoping it would come close to the performance of my tower, but even with an external PCI housing for the Red Rocket I frequently experience errors while outputting Red footage–a problem I do not experience on my “now ancient” Mac Pro.

HP and Dell do not have workstations with Thunderbolt yet either.

October 27, 2012

Chris

Chris seems to know what he's talking about here and I'd put more stock in his opinion and even guesses of what Apple is going to do over the author of the article.
Where does Lou Borella get any of his "intelligent predictions"? I don't see any backup, or even explanation of where the predictions came from. There are reasons that companies do things, and Apple may very well rethink what a powerful computer should look like, but if you're going to imagine that you know what they're thinking at least you should say why. At this point it's just a bunch of complaining and crying about something that hasn't even happened yet.

October 30, 2012

Andrius Simutis

Chris, I think, is right on the money. Silly article. Thunderbolt brings tons of new design challenges for it to coexist with enterprise-level components. I've heard from insiders that for Apple to have released a Thunderbolt-enabled MacPro this year that it would have been a band-aid job at best. So, I decked out a non-Retina MacBook Pro and am just sucking it up until next year. High-end motion graphics work is a challenge but I'm eyeing a MacPro refurb in the meantime...

October 31, 2012

Echoout

I don't see why everyone is so strict about how powerful their machines have to be. I've been editing on a 2008 MacBook Pro, and while I don't edit above 1080p or do heavy 3D work, it can run 3K footage decently and it's okay for light 3d work.

I can understand needing something more powerful (I hope to upgrade very soon), but it's weird that Apple announces an iMac that holds up to 32GB of memory AND up to 768GB of flash storage AND a 2GB graphics card AND up to a 3.4GHz quad core Ivy Bridge i7 AND USB 3.0 AND two Thunderbolt ports, but people still say that it can't be used.

TehRandax

Where did anyone say "it can't be used?" The article above basically says about the iMac exactly what you just commented. "Editing video on the iMac with external storage is a perfectly acceptable combination."

However, 4K, 5K, heavy 3D work, these things exist and that's what a Mac Pro is for. A lot of people do this work. They're not being "strict," time is money and they need robust, reliable tools that scale much higher than an iMac's capabilities (not to mention different monitoring/connectivity/expansion requirements).

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Yeah basically this all breaks down to, whatever you do, is your time equal to money and have you ever maxed out your existing machine on a frequent basis? If not, no worries. If so, an iMac is just a faster iMac for you to sit idly by and watch the four cores sit at 390% utilization while progress bars crawl.

Most users of Mac OS X, and I daresay many users of FCP X even, may never have experienced any significant bottlenecking before. Today's computers are crazy powerful. But for people who really need six or eight or more cores and the very latest badass CUDA card (or even multiple ones) the all-in-one computer will never be an option, whether it's "designed in Cupertino" or says DELL or HP on it.

trackofalljades

Editing may be fine, but what about compositing and grading?

Gabe

Agreed. I understand some may truly need the power of a Mac Pro, but I'd wager many just think they need it. A speced out iMac will suit my needs just fine.

Scott

What version operating system are you running? Because I believe its the OSX operating system that is weighing down the newer macs. I've seen a lot of people experience slower performance than usual even doing basic functions on base models or people who recently upgraded their operating system. To gain all those 'great' new features of Lion and Mountain Lion is dependent on more memory.

Joe

It might be RAM related, as I have plenty, but I've only seen typical tasks get faster with 10.6 and 10.7 over 10.5. I've not used 10.8 yet as I have no real reason to want to upgrade to it at the moment.

trackofalljades

Because all professionals do is complain, its the new norm

john jeffreys

They can and will be used, just as many professional editors have been gravitating towards iMacs over the last few years. The problem is that many of us still need high-speed PCI-E slots to connect to our existing storage infrastructure with raid adapter cards and i/o cards, and are unwilling to absorb the additional cost of Thunderbolt adapters (or devices) to connect into servers when it provides no increase in throughput speed over existing technology.

Marc B,

You have no idea how many times I've asked myself and others this question !
By the way I'm also editing on my 2008 MacBook Pro, I 've even edited an entire feature on FCP7...

October 26, 2012

I don't know how you do it, my late-2008 original unibody, even with 6GB of ram, can barely handle 422 converted DSLR footage, it edits smoothly but export is a nightmare, takes hours just for one short film.

john jeffreys

I am waiting for a few more parts to complete my hackintosh. I no longer care what Apple does with the Mac Pro.

Brian

Dear Apple,

It is with much sadness that I say this, but I think it's time for us to break up. My Mac and I have had a good run, and we've created a lot of neat content together, and I'll surely treasure the time we spent together as long as I live. But over the past few years we've been drifting in separate directions, and I'm afraid that our differences far overshadow our similarities anymore. I'm at a point in my life where I need commitment and stability, and you've proven, through your recent actions and inactions, that you are incapable of filling these needs.

Last week I went out with an HP workstation and I loved it. It was everything I needed and nothing I didn't. And that's the direction that I see my life heading. You've had countless opportunities to right this sinking ship, but you've only managed to punch more holes in the hull, and now I need to bail on you and our life together.

So, it's with this thought that I'll leave you; I sincerely hope that you can reconcile your current path with who you used to be, because you used to be so cool. If you can do this, I think that we might very well have a future together.

But for now, goodbye. It's been nice knowing you, and I hope you find whatever it is that you're looking for. I know I will.

Yours truly,
Robert

p.s. I've been boning Windows on the side for years. Just thought you should know.

Robert

Dear Robert:

We don't give a shit. We make more money and move more product than you can even fathom. If you can't make do with our top-of-the-line iMac for your editing needs, then enjoy the wide world of PCs. And if you're willing to consider them "cool," it's perfectly fine with us.

Sincerely,
Apple, Inc.

P.S. You should probably be aware that, in fact, Windows has been boning you.

Hummer

For the same price as a top-of-the-line iMac, I can get a machine with twice the power and a Dreamcolor monitor for grading, and yet Windows is somehow the one boning people? PUH-LEEZE!

Robert

Ah yes, the typical "I CAN GEHT A BETTUR PEECEE FOR LIKE HALF DA PRICE THO"

Yeah, you can, but its not made as well, Windows is (and has been since the 90's) intrinsically shitty and unstable, the fans are noisy, and the desktop, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and webcam are all seperate and all over the place in a mess of cables and power adapters. iMac design is superior, its all in one, and it's elegant and saves space on your desk. and its fast, fast enough that you probably won't need to upgrade. You get a new computer every 4 years anyway, and your shitty Windows PC dies every 2-3 years regardless.

Oh, and Final Cut Pro X.

john jeffreys

sarcasm in it`s finest! :D

Mariano

Windows hasn't had stability problems since they switched entirely to the NT kernel which was like ten years ago. Sheesh, stop living in the past.

Gabe

The Z820 offers hardware options that exceed those available for the Mac Pro. On the HP website I configured a system with 16 cores instead of twelve (since there is no significant performance boost per core over the older CPUs in the Mac Pro, for more power, you will want more cores), and with a very powerful graphics card. I would guestimate that this would give an overall boost of 50 %. Ended up at USD14000.

October 27, 2012

Thyl Engelhardt

Hi Robert, I loved the article, thank you!!!

December 27, 2012

I've been editing on a Hac Pro with Production Premium 5.5 for 1 year now with no OSX 10.7.2 crashes, a few minor glitches in CS5.5 programs and all around reliable performance from the 128GB SSD, 2x 1TB internal drives and GTX460 CUDA enabled. 1080P color grades and effects run in about 75% real time full res. And thats not even OC'ing the 3.4 i7. 12,500 geekbench 64bit @ 3.4; 14,500 @ 4.0. Added bonus: 14$ PCMCIA PCI card takes P2 in winxp for cheap offload.

Chris

I have no idea why Mr. Borella suspects that the new Pros will be so radical. Is there a minimum number of PCI ports needed for it to live up to expectations?

We want Mac Pros instead of iMacs because we need beefier processors, PCI ports, thunderbolt compatibility and a higher ram ceiling. I don't know how an upgrade that contains all of these (expected and basically guaranteed) updates could really disappoint.

Carlos D

apple does think differently. so differently, in fact, that what may appear to be a coherent business strategy is actually driving people across the street in droves.

i was a long time final cut guy ..... over the past month, i've finished the transitional stage, and, thanks to fcpx, i'm now full time on premiere, ae, ps ... and i'd like to thank apple for forcing my eyes open.

i, too, am on a 2008 tower ... and have been waiting for an opportunity to spend some $$$ to juice it up.

and just today -- i paid my man to start on my hack pro build, so my cs6 will be running smooth and quick. so no way in hell will i be looking for, or caring about, any new mac pro if it ever comes.

so ... here's a pro customer, tongue hanging out, ready for fcp 8 .... apple drives me into the arms of adobe.

.... ready for the new mac pro .... apple drives me into the arms of windows / hackworld.

now multiply me about 20-thousand ? yeah, that's different all right.

timeoutofmind

well put! I still use FCP7 but I'm really close to switching to premiere.

October 26, 2012

I was in a similar position and went ahead and bought a Retina 15 inch instead. I'm running off a thunderbolt raid and performance has been really excellent for me. I'm not saying the MBP will be able to hand everything I throw at it for many years but I do gain something I would lose if I had built a Hackintosh: resale value.

I feel I've mitigated my cost risk and started working towards portability and modularity and I'm definitely happy with my decision.

Carlos D

FCP X can pretty much run circles around 7. It has a bit of a learning curve, but not a lot more than switching to any other new NLE. So, switch if you like, but X has come a long way from the crappy first version that everyone who doesn't use it thinks it still is... now back to the Mac Pro topic... ;-)

Charlie

Slowly Apple is pissing me off. There is abolutely no upgradeability (for an affordable price) of their computers. I don't like Windows, but it's way more backwards-compatible. I love Mac OS X, but I hate the fact that I have to upgrade it all the time, just to run new software. That means some of my "old" software won't run and I have to upgrade it too. Final Cut Pro project files from 7.03 won't load in 7.0 - what the hell? I think Apple is forcing us to upgrade hardware, because the software that we need to run only runs on a version of Mac OS X that bogs down old hardware. The iPhone (iPad, iPod Touch etc.) doesn't come with an SD-Card slot, that means it's automatically out of date in two years because in two years 16GB of memory will be a joke. I wish Apple were less greedy in this respect and I bet it would pay in the long run. Pros (and ams) have jumped ship before and they might just do it again.

George - tshit.de/freshdailies

October 26, 2012

Apple is an environmental and addiction disaster. How many people bought iPads eight months ago and now want the news ones? What happens to the 'old' (8 months is old?) ones? Apple targets young and newborn addicts for a lifelong hook and constant updates. The iWaste movement never got off the ground because those hipsters probably spend most of their lives gazing into an iPhoney screen.

It's up to each individual to determine how often to upgrade and contribute to landfill, and how to fight addiction. E.g., should we let Apple dictate what we want or should we surmise that on our own accord?

bandicoot_264

Actually, a lot of older Apple devices get resold on secondary markets both domestically and abroad. Just take a look at Ebay and see how strongly older models hold their value. You never really have to throw out an Apple product because you'll generally be able to get a decent resale value for it. Furthermore, part of Apple's minimalist design philosophy is requiring fewer components and raw materials, and making the materials in use be of relative eco-friendliness.

On the contrary, I wish you VERY good luck in trying to give away an old Windows-based PC. You know - those god-knows-what-metal based cases with the hodgepodge of internal boards and connectors? How about the large corporations that upgrade their legions of Dell Optiplex-whatever machines every year or two - where do you think those end up? Or for some reason are only Apple products toxic for the environment?

Swested

Well you see with a PC, you can just *upgrade* a single component instead of throwing everything out at the same time...

Gabe

Haha, right. As if the vast majority of computer users know anything hardware beyond where their power button is located.

Sure, it was fun and neat to switch out a graphics card when I was 14, but I'd much rather just resell my older machine and buy a discounted newer model for the same cost as buying that hypothetical graphics card. To each his own, I suppose.

Swested

I think you'll find a large segment of PC users are gamers and have been used to upgrading computer components for the last twenty years. I personally love that I can go from a 2ghz quad core to a 4ghz eight core for a couple hundred bucks...that's a huge increase in performance for not a lot of money.

October 27, 2012

Gabe

Can't really believe what Lou has to say since he started working for Dell...

Ryo

Apple's philosophy is all about the consumer and pushing perceived obsolescense. There's no room for pros in that equation. If they release a Mac Pro, then it will be less than 12 months until they release a new one, and less than 3 years before they release a model with an entirely different set of ports and outputs.

IMO, a new contender will arrive in the next 12 months and change the game completely.

October 26, 2012

Oh, so now innovation and updates are a bad thing? Yet at the same time all the "pros" bitch about how Apple hasn't updated the Mac Pro in almost 3 years.

As for who has the toxic attitude - it isn't Apple, it's the so-called entitled professionals who can't do anything but complain about technology that they've not once contributed to the actual development of.

Hummer

Innovation is fine, but saving tech advances just so you can add it to a future version as a point of difference to influence sales is counterproductive to a market that tends to buy and update in longer periods. And given that everything Mac is completely inbuilt means you can't just 'add' that feature later on, you've gotta buy a whole new machine. It would render professionals into prosumers, whilst it renders every previous release obsolete with new tech that is incompatible with what's already dominating the market place.

If you really don't think that there has been a significant change in Apple corporate philosophy since the last Mac Pro release then you've just been sipping the Apple koolaid for far too long.

But hey, you go buy your shiny new product and wait a year for Apple to tell you you're a fool for owning anything but their latest release because everything new is based on common sense (which they conveniently fail to acknowledge that they ignored for several years before themselves).

October 26, 2012

Just to clarify one point, the optical drive thing isn't just a guess at this point...it's as certain as you can possibly get before an actual product announcement. Paying careful attention to the configuration files of many Apple applications and system components, folks have noticed over recent months a new Mac Pro model (that doesn't officially exist yet) appearing in various places and that model's configuration indicates the lack of an optical drive (for booting system media, etc) and increased reliance on USB media (including stuff like recovery/install).

trackofalljades

The reason we do not have a true Mac Pro upgrade has nothing to do with Apple. Do a simple search for a dual-Xeon based motherboard with Thunderbolt and you get nothing. There is no point in upgrading the platform without the inclusion of Thunderbolt--hence the backlash with the processor bump this year.

We should be seeing something in the February to March range based on Intel's roadmap. This article is based on some of the worst speculation I've ever seen and appears to come from someone unfamiliar with the landscape of computer hardware. There is absolutely no way Apple would release a smaller form factor because of things like the Red Rocket, which performs best in a pair. Add a discrete graphics card (or two for a coloring suite) and you quickly fill up your machine. My Mac Pro has two GPUs, a Red Rocket and an eSata board, plus 6 HDDs and 48GB of RAM.

I purchased an rMBP hoping it would come close to the performance of my tower, but even with an external PCI housing for the Red Rocket I frequently experience errors while outputting Red footage--a problem I do not experience on my "now ancient" Mac Pro.

Chris

In case anyone is thinking I didn't do my own research, the top of the line workstations from HP and Dell (which are so frequently compared to the Mac Pro) do not include Thunderbolt.

Chris

Good knowledge

Max

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 from 2006 and thanks to GPU and memory upgrades (and a healthy stack of disk) there's really nothing it can't do for me in 2012 except run Mountain Lion...which as yet I have no particular need for. If I had a slightly newer one, sure, my progress bars would be faster, but that's about it really.

Thunderbolt, along with some genuinely more robust Xeon class chips (not just polished up a bit and clocked a little faster) is absolutely "the thing" that would make the next Mac tower and you're right, until the Spring there won't be much anyone can do about it. Apple engineers their own boards, but they can't put processors and bridges on them if nobody makes those.

I think there's a relatively small cross-section of film folks who both 1) like the Mac platform in the first place and simultaneously 2) have a deep understanding of how enterprise class hardware is different than gamer hardware, and thus we end up with a lot of well-intentioned but ultimately incomplete analysis.

For the time being, my aging Mac remains the most solid machine I've ever messed with that wasn't installed in a rack. Just like everyone else though, I grow impatient and always look for opportunities to save money. We shall see.

October 28, 2012

trackofalljades

I am hoping that they don't downsize the form factor. I have 4 HDDs in mine for back-up and storage and I think Apple would be crazy to try and make the Mac Pro into an industrial version of the iMac. I don't need cute and thin, I need big and capable. I really need the configurability and don't want to have to go back to a PC. I left that world 5 years ago after using PCs since they were invented. I really hope that Apple still understands the value of catering to the professional market even though it is a drop in the bucket compared to the consumer market.

Alan