We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

November 24, 2012

'The Hobbit' Production Videos Continue with an In-Depth Look at Post-Production

While there has been a tremendous amount of talk about the way the trilogy of Hobbit films are being shot in 3D on RED at 48fps, the behind the scenes production videos have done an excellent job showing the tremendous work that goes into a production of this scale. The current production video, the ninth in the series, takes a fascinating look at the post-production process. From visual effects, to sound design, to color grading, each specific department has a particular focus and they all work within their roles to complement the entire production. Click through to check out Production Video #9 with Peter Jackson:

It's always impressive to me just how many different people are working on these films. Most us will probably not get a chance to work on a film of this size (though some films are becoming such massive productions the opposite might actually be true someday), so getting a chance to watch the well-oiled machine go about their duties is quite amazing.

We've featured most of the aspects of pre-production, production, or post-production at some point on this site, but the most interesting part of the video for me was the pre-viz portion. While it obviously took longer than a minute, actually getting to watch the flow of production and each step in the process (and how many people were involved) really shows just how big this production is and how complicated it must be putting it all together. It looks like this will be the last video before the film is actually released, so if you haven't seen them before, now might be a good time to get caught up on the previous production videos.

What do you guys think? What do you find most interesting about this video and the other production videos in the series? Are you more excited for the movie itself, or to see what the experience of 3D at 48fps will be like? Let us know what you think below in the comments.

Links:

I think when you see something like this it's a reminder of just how much blood sweat n tears go into every film we see. And while it's so easy for us to criticize and judge the final product we should none the less respect the work even if we don't necessarily like it.

November 24, 2012

Marko

I agree Marko. Good post mate.

November 25, 2012

Well said, Marko.

November 25, 2012

Stefan

I love watching behind the scenes videos.

I'm just wondering, why every movie doesn't have behind the scenes material available for free on YouTube? Firstly, it's great thing for film enthusiasts. Secondly - it is also smart marketing :)

November 24, 2012

Matrox

That's a great question. For big movies with a budget, it seems like a no-brainer to me. It could be that some of them worry about giving too much away before the film is released, but with the way trailers already show so much of the final films, I can't see that really being a huge issue.

November 24, 2012

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

I think they like to save all of it for the Blu-Ray release.

November 24, 2012

Gareth

This is why I always try to get DVD or blu ray you get all the goodies, thats whats lost with netflix style video streaming really...

November 24, 2012

carlos

Not if the "Behind the Scenes" look on the Blu Ray is self-masturbatory, which seems to be the case most of the time.

November 25, 2012

Eddy

Is there any other type of masturbatory? Lol

November 25, 2012

john jeffreys

Seriously. just hand an intern a DSLR and tell them to walk around the set

November 25, 2012

john jeffreys

So proud to be a New Zealander.

November 24, 2012

Tyler

Are you serious? Wow . . . .

November 24, 2012

Ben Incahutz

Completely. We can have a joke and still deliver an amazing product. It's freaking New Zealand! This little shit hole makes some amazing stuff, and we do it because we really love it. Those animators, artists and everyone have a job and are under so much pressure, but they can have a laugh - meanwhile in Hollywood some fat cat is rolling in money demanding a sequence to be finished in a few hours to send to a render farm.

If you are a New Zealander then you really shouldn't be. If you think this - /this/ - out of all things, makes you proud, I have no idea what does.

Oh, right. John Key.

November 30, 2012

Tyler

*doesn't make you proud, I meant.

November 30, 2012

Tyler

+1 :)

November 29, 2012

Vicky

Great stuff!

I think Peter Jackson did a fabulous job with these behind the scene video's. Remember he started with this on the LOTR DVD's. (close to 3 hours of behind the scenes on each DVD, special edition that is). This turns all of us into film (making) fans (the public included)). Great marketing.

November 24, 2012

Erwin (Netherlands)

Always a huge fan of the BTS for the original trilogy and think it's awesome that they are releasing these as production goes along.

November 24, 2012

I love these videos. Every time they make me realize that I will never be able to do anything that comes close to such gigantic productions.

November 25, 2012

Daniel

Who is the person putting all the organization together, planning and then controlling this giant filmmaking army?

November 25, 2012

maghoxfr

Es maravilloso el mundo de la post producción, gracias por mostrar este arte.

November 25, 2012

oscar

I wonder how much of the film is "Peter Jackson" when so many others are working on it. It was exhausting to watch - where's the fun? It's an expensive mega project for a corporate pipeline that will generate millions in merchandising alone - even billions. Nothing wrong with that, except that it's boring. I'm their worst nightmare - I like any kind of film except the Fantasy genre - this kind of film holds no interest for me. Star Wars - yes. Harry Potter - yawn. I wish Mr. Jackson much success. In my case, I'm most happy with a small film crew and a great script. At least I'll know everyone I'm working with.

November 25, 2012

Ed Wright

Where's the fun? Maybe you should watch the video, because it's clear you didn't.

December 1, 2012

Gabe

For me, the most wonderful realization while watching this is how the creative vision of a filmmaker can employ so many folks.

December 1, 2012

The thing I'm most scared about is the fact that they took the only one of the 4 Ring books...the only one (in my very much minority opinion) that isn't tediously detailed and caught up in boring minutia about things that don't exist and who the things that don't exist's great great great great grandfather was...

...and is turning it into THREE movies.

December 3, 2012