We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

Watch 'Mahout,' One of the First Films Shot on the Global Shutter Sony F55

Last night Sony went in-depth about their new camera offerings, the F5 and the F55, and their accompanying accessories, and also detailed the list pricing for all of those items. In addition to the presentation they showed a plethora of footage from both the F5 and the F55. Now we've finally got one of those samples online -- from the F55 -- thanks to the good people over at Stargate Studios. Click through to check out some of the first images from this camera.

Here is part of the description below the video:

Sony asked Sam Nicholson, ASC, and Stargate Studios to produce a short film to test the F55. Nicholson, along with production teams from Stargate LA and Stargate Mumbai, travelled to Sri Lanka to produce the film, hiring local talent and crew to help in the production. "Mahout" follows an orphan girl who helps a baby elephant escape an abusive owner and return to his herd in the wild. Nicholson directed and shot "Mahout" throughout the spectacular environments of Sri Lanka, from crowded urban locales to remote jungles, rivers and beaches, often struggling with monsoon rainstorms, severe humidity and unpredictable weather. “Mahout” features a young bull elephant, local Sri Lanka children, sacred stone temples and a large herd of wild elephants.

Thanks to Cinester for finding this:

Quite a bit of this footage looks like it has been shot with a more open shutter -- which is unrelated to the fact that this camera has a global shutter CMOS vs. a rolling shutter CMOS sensor. For example, if the entire video was shot at 24p (which it seems like it was except for the slow motion parts), the normal shutter would be 180 degrees or 1/48 of a second, but there are a few shots, like when the girl is hiding out at night, and near the end, that have a lot more blurring in the motion -- so it would stand to reason that a 1/24 of a second or 360 degree shutter was used at those times. Plenty of the film looked fine, but there were enough moments that stood out to me. It's possible that this technique was used to gain an additional stop of exposure during certain scenes, which could also allow for shooting with a deeper depth of field.

As far as the look, it seems very similar to much of the other offerings from Sony. Watching in compressed form on Vimeo is certainly not ideal, especially since this was shown in 4K at the presentation yesterday, but one of the biggest things that is impressing me is the dynamic range. For a global shutter camera, it's remarkable that Sony has pulled this much latitude out of the sensor. The highlight rolloff is nice in many shots -- and some of the them are just downright impossible if you're not using a camera with a lot of range. In certain places it does seem that the grade has been pushed hard, and shadows and highlights are slightly lost -- but if you're shooting RAW, it's going to take a lot to not have a usable image with the F55.

I think the big thing with this camera will be to see how far the compressed 4K can be pushed. I have a feeling that's going to be used quite a bit by productions because you get all of the advantages of 4K -- like reframing and stabilization -- without the massive data requirements of RAW (and keep in mind that Sony is also using compressed RAW with their recorder, so you are saving a little bit of space from uncompressed).

I'm interested to see how far the prices will come down when the cameras are actually delivered, since those numbers listed yesterday were just the MSRP. I would definitely like to see more samples and some RAW examples to really make any judgements about what this camera can really do, but the specs are there -- it's just going to come down to whether you personally like the look of the camera.

What do you guys think about the look so far? How about the dynamic range? Are you warming up to Sony's offering if you were initially on the fence?

Link: Mahout - Sony F55 CineAlta 4k Camera Demo -- Vimeo

Now, that's a camera demo.
Absolutely stunning , even witrh the vimeo compression.

Martin

Great use of an amazing camera! Still cant believe something with the Sony badge and these specs is only $35k or around $50k ready to roll. This camera is going to take a HUGE chunk of Alexa's market.

Red needs their Dragon sensor like yesterday!

Paul

LOL

michael

Just WOW. I have no words for this. My God.

November 29, 2012

is it just me or did the lightning at the beginning of the short look strange or fake?

I wasn't personally impressed by the visuals of it. Not the cameras fault. The stuff Bloom shot had me posting ads to sell my kid for a minute, until I realized I probably couldn't get near as much needed from the sale to purchase this camera.

Can't wait to see more from this cam.

Neil

Bloom shot with the fs700, excuse me. I figured they'd look similar.

Neil

I like it though. the IQ looks good.

Davinci

I was going to say the same thing about the motion in some scenes. It was so different than the rest it stood out. Man, there is a lot of latitude in some of those shots and even on Vimeo you can see then sensor resolves a lot of detail. Some of those fine hairs on the elephants back remained a lot sharper than I thought they would after going through Vimeo's compression.

As I shoot a lot of motorsports, I really wanted to see the cam pushed to it's limits when shooting fast motion. Really curious to see how the global shutter holds up. Oh well, soon I'm sure!

sean

The image looks beautiful. I like the detail and dynamic range. There were some shots, like 4:30 and 5:25 where there was too much detail, and it was bordering on video-like infite DOF, but the colour reproduction and DR really helped to keep it looking cinematic. Matter of fact, there wasn't much to really show off the shallow DOF of a Super35mm sensor in the entire film.... ? There were images, though, like 11:00 and 11:03 that were downright painterly with the light and colour. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff.

Ben Howling

The image looks good but for the most part doesn't look or feel cinematic, which is worrying when this was shot by a member of the A.S.C

Connor

My thoughts exactly, didnt fee filmic at all. A lot of it is great, but other than the DR im not too impressed with it... Was sort of expecting more its seems to be missing something.

carlos

Yeah i agree. I'm impressed with what the camera can do, but that's it.

Ralph

I think I have to agree. A little too much on the sharp side for a cinema camera, but maybe the contrast has something to do with it too. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see nature documentaries shot with it.

Ben Corwin

SNORE. You guys are pathetic...

The picture quality is fantastic, stunning actually. Go somewhere else and measure-bate someone else's footage.

James Cameron

This is a 50k camera once you set it up are you kidding me? Unless youre made of money you should be "measure-bating" footage as you so elegantly stated if youre thinking about dropping that kind of cash. Or should everyone just say, yeah!!! amazing!!!! awesome!!!!!!

carlos

Hey, Mr. James Cameron, please, give up of coming here in amazon at brazil to shoot your 'documentary'. biopiracy is bad already how it is being done! THANX! go shoot blue people made of vertex in Canada! :D

guto novo

It is important to note that this was my very first surface level reaction to the footage. My comment is by no means a final decision. In fact, the way you view or display the footage has a LOT to do with how it looks. My first view of the footage was on a 15 inch Macbook Pro. My second view was on an Apple Cinema Display which is a much more proper way to view the footage. With that being said, the footage looks more cinematic on the Cinema Display. Either way, to decide anything for certain from one video is not giving this camera a fair chance to prove itself.

December 3, 2012

Ben Corwin

Nice. Not 'run out and buy one' nice, but certainly will suck up a ton of doco and TV work. I don't think it will hurt the Alexa too much (there's plenty of them out there now, and wait til you see the Studio-M stuff due out shortly) - this looks more like someone choosing to step up from a C300 or F3 on a project (although unless you're projecting at 4k, I'm not sure its that much of a step up).
Just a note - there is a cultural difference between the US and Europe re re-framing. When I arrived in London they were horrified that I did it without even blinking. Its not forbidden, but its definitely frowned upon :-)

marklondon

i see this kind of footage on BBC everyday.... I think they shoot with Panasonic cameras, it is nice but yeah, very nice for docs, our DSLR can produce very similar look

Peter

if DSLRs can do that, imagine what you could do with a C300, or, *gasp* a C100!?

amirite?

Ben Howling

BBC shoot on a number of cams. They havent shot with Varicams for a while, or the AF101. Huge RED and Canon users, and every Sony ever made.

marklondon

99% Bollywood films are shot on Arri cameras.

Peter

Indeed they are.

marklondon

Arri film cameras no less!

November 30, 2012

For a feature film there would be more artistic grading done. It looks like the wanted to keep the color natural on this which is understandable from a camera maker perspective. Also, I think the super sharpness from the 4k sensor makes it look digital/video like. I think that a nice subtle blur on this footage would make it look much more cinematic.

November 29, 2012

So, you need to post it to make it look good? Hmm. :-)

marklondon

Impressive. The dynamic range is there. From frame one, i could tell it was shot with a camera far greater than a DSLR. At some point we're going to have to stop comparing footage shot with a digital camera to footage shot on Film. Their just different. Digital footage will never look like film, ever. Digital is amazing. Optimization is a better goal. Make digital look the best it can. I love the way this short looks. Can't wait to see some F5 footage.

Lorenzo S.

thankyou! it seems many still want video cameras to be film cameras and video to be "filmic" or some nostalgic, retro version of what those that didn't grow up with film think film looked like - love video for what it can do differently

john cliff

Was not impressed. Sharp. But if this is a testament as to what it can do.
This camera is best for television and documentary work at best.

VINCEGORTHO

I agree 100% with you. See above.
Also, VERY BAD CHOICE re 1st users. Stargate doing emotional street stuff? Hmmm.

marklondon

The images looks really video -ish to me. Sony cant do drama, they better stay with Broadcast and ENG stuff. The DR was not evedent imho, black magic is more impressive.

November 30, 2012

Not sure I'm getting the correlation between story/genre and technology here? Seems silly to attribute the storytelling to Sony or a camera. And if the dynamic range isn't evident in this situation/shooting conditions, perhaps it would be smarter to wait to see more examples before ranking cameras.

Rollie

Alexa is the No. 1 digital cinema camera for drama, simply for the gentle images it produces. Genre is a direct factor when settling for a camera.

michael

I understand treating different cameras/sensors as film stocks, so certainly it's a creative choice in addition to a technical one. My point is in regards to Sony not being able to do drama. And even in claiming Alexa as the #1 camera for drama seems silly. It's a great camera, but suggesting it is the #1 camera for drama or any genre seems to negate the idea of using a camera as a creative choice. There's plenty of great dramatic films created with other camera systems.

Rollie

Silly silly.. See, SONY will deliver this camera...

Where are all the black magic cameras??! Oh yeah... broken.

James Cameron

You forget how long it took RED to get the scarlet out? 3k for $3k. Im still waiti.ng for that

vinceGortho

Perfect.

Awkward

Looks like a Mexican soap opera. Poor directing, editing and incredibly uncinematic. Not impressed.

CG

Agreed.

michael

November 30, 2012

it is amazing to know that all Indian movies been shot on German Cameras and American films mostly with Japanese cams... except Reds for the last few years...

Peter

So much drama in this part of the world, and with what do they come with? An orphan girl who helps a baby elephant escape an abusive owner and return to his herd in the wild. Sheesh.

November 30, 2012

I`m sold, I`m ordering it!!!

Mariano

Ahh, Sony - I guess they'll never fail to deliver that video-ish touch with all their cameras, lol.

There's a reason they shot this in India, motives there look great on ANY camera.

That's one small step backwards for Arri and RED humans, one giant leap for DSLR people :)

michael

Elephants are amazing!

Daniel

Here's another example of the F55 in action. http://vimeo.com/54571154

There is something so clean and crisp about this imagery that I just don't like about this camera. For Docs and television this camera is going to rock but for features I will rent an Epic or an Alexa. For small things I will shoot on my BMCC (whenever it shows up).

Also, I don't agree with this "don't compare to film" argument. Skyfall looked so much like film it was ridiculous. The Alexa has proven that HD can be in spitting distance of film not just from a dynamic range standpoint but from also a textural quality. So many shows that use to shoot 35mm now shoot on the Alexa and you would have to have an extremely well trained eye to notice the difference. Try harder Sony, figure out how Arri softens the images on their sensors and you may get there.

November 30, 2012

I liked that demo more than the OP, however there is still these shot to shot variations. Some look stellar, some not so much.

Problem always remains the DP/cinematographer.

If you put this camera and footage in the hands of a real pro, like Roger Deakins (since you mentioned Skyfall), he's going to get the most from it. I think he could get the same look from the F55 that he did the Alexa.

I think he could get pretty much whatever look he wants from it.

The more demos like this I see, the more I believe it's the user rather than the machine that is dictating the specific look.

sean

Martin Scanlan / Fried Pixel Films did VERY WELL with that "Dig" clip. There are several stunning scenes, that show what F55 is capable of. It is right there with Epic etc.

If you do not like the artistic choices it's fine, but it is pure crap to claim that there something wrong with camera system. Red Scarlet / Epic is not in anyway "more cinematic", Alexa maybe is.

Juhan-i

That's a much nicer demo video, IMO. Great variation of lighting situations and environments. Footage looked great. Every bit as cinematic as Red and Alexa, so it only comes down who's hands it's in, and what they want to do with it. The only thing I would have liked to have seen is contrast on a nice, clear sunny day - but it's obviously gonna be a struggle to get that in England ;D

Great find Cinester.

Ben Howling

Okay...now that's good. That shows what you can do in a way that makes the camera look good instead of crappy. Why did they even release Mahout?

Just stick to the 180º shutter and shoot 24fps. And don't overcrush the blacks so you can get an indication of what the dynamic range might be.

December 9, 2012