January 21, 2013

Grab Some 4K Canon 1D C DSLR Sample Footage, and Check Out a Possible FCPX Workflow

Canon's 4K video capable DSLR, the EOS-1D C, has marked an upset for the DSLR industry -- and in more ways than one. Many feel that the addition of Motion-JPEG alone is not worth the camera's $12K price point. This is particularly the case when weighing in controversial speculation that internally it's mostly identical to its $7K 1080p sibling, the 1D X -- and the fact that Canon is likely anticipating with gritted teeth the possibility of firmware hacks 4K-ifying the 1D X. That said, it could be a near-perfect blend of features depending on your application. If this is the case for you, but you want the chance to check out or grade some full-res video footage before pulling the trigger, you're in luck -- planet5D has just posted some downloadable 1D C 4K footage for your viewing consideration (assuming of course your machine can handle it).

My own machine actually can't, but I was able to check out full-scale grabs from the footage thanks to MPEG Streamclip. Click below for 100%:

Mitch has also posted a video in which he shows "you a couple of other samples and quick tests of magnification and coloring," below:

Instead of linking to the 4K sample video downloads (one is 12 seconds/825mb, the other 31 seconds/1.96gb) I'll send you over to planet5D for them, where you can also leave Mitch some love for the uploads, ask questions, etc. If your machine can run the stuff in terms of hardware but you need to be pointed in the right direction for editing, here's more from Mitch on his FCPX ingest workflow for working with this stuff:

Prospective 1D C buyers and Canon skeptics alike -- what did you think of this footage? Did getting hands-on with it change how you see the 1D C as an option, or reinforce what you thought before? What notable qualities did you notice pushing the grade?

Link: Come and get your Canon EOS 1D C 4k video samples here on planet5D! Can your machine cope? -- planet5D

I think canon will be in trouble 10 years from now.

alguti

Right!

Aung Aung

Played with the footage... this should only cost about $5k-$6k.
It's just healthier 5DIII footage.

VINCEGORTHO

I had a play too, its pretty soft when viewed at 100%.

Makes for nice 1080p and the 4k 422 should give you close to 444 in a 1080p timeline.

I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong but I could not did not get smooth playback from the footage at any resolution inside of Premiere CS6 closer to 20fps I would say.

Using a PC with i7 2600k with a Gtx570 playing off a SSD
Scrubbing is better than with H.264, just not very good playback.
Might be an adobe issue as nothing seems overly taxed by it?

Sam

Just thinking about it a bit more it could be a lens softness issue.

Sam

Didn't even get smooth playback in VLC player or anything on my 15" mackbook pro retina with SSD and all that stuff

Sebastian

Out of curiosity I checked some camera rental websites on Google and found that the 1D C and C100 almost always seem to be priced very similarly, both much cheaper than the Sony F3. I don't know enough about the rental business to know if this means anything, but I wonder if Canon deliberately overpriced the 1D C under the assumption that people would rent it rather than buy their own?

I know I'd never buy the 1D C but I also can imagine renting one in certain situations.

cows

That post was actually meant as a reply to the suggestion that the 1D C should be in the $5000-6000 range, by the way.

cows

We did some tests last week with Macgregor (cinema director and DP) and here are the results(in spanish):

As you can see the image produces a huge banding on the shadows... very disappointing

arturo sanchez

Yipes. Nasty shadows. Thanks for the pointer.

January 21, 2013

I was getting the same with the shadows. It is very upsetting. Canon Log results should be way better than how its performing. I've been using Neutral due to the issues but I'd like to have better dynamic range using the Canon Log (which is not useful due to the banding issues).

Ron

Gross! Banding like that is a non-starter. Why even release a product with results like this? Thanks Arturo.

January 21, 2013

1D C uses the same type of sensor on 1D X and 5D Mark III, they all have a base ISO of 400 and perform quite good in low light. But tons of read noise results in heavy banding and blotchness in shadow/underexposed area.

Marvin

Canon is the next Kodak.

mike

Agree if canon keeps crippling their devices they will be the next KODACK or Better yet the NEXT BLACKBERRY OR PALM , a Company that did make splashes and could have made waves but chose to sprinkle here and there

Jayy Slocum

In comparison the 1dc makes the new F5 look like a real bargain. (Even with the recorder) what's canon thinking? If I had to buy canon, I'd consider the 300 or even the c100 before before this camera. It just seems like a lot of dough for what it is.

Anthony Marino

I mostly shoot outdoors (sometimes on ropes) and even to me this 1DC is a let down... The price is of course ridiculous but the image itself is really disappointing. It might be the lens here but this test footage scaled down to 1080p looks ugly compared to my C300 footage.
They already messed up with the C300 and slow mo. Good thing is the C300 has the amazing form factor and ergonomics to it otherwise it would not work.
They better get things right with the C300 "mark II" and 1DC "mark II"...

January 21, 2013

The 1DC was exciting about 1 1/4 years ago when it was announced, but it just seems so dated at this point. The full frame look is awesome, but with Metabones Speed Booster giving the full frame look to Super 35mm sensors like the FS 700 and more cameras soon to come, that a pretty big blow to the 1DC.

If Canon had not dragged their feet and released this a year ago, it might have sold a few. But my prediction is this camera will be a flop. I don't know anyone who is itching to get this, unlike the F5 which the buzz is just huge.

Gene Sung

...why, Canon? Why? Who is the target market for this in 2013?

Swested

I'm not interested in this camera, first for the pricetag and second because I have no need for a 4K camera yet. Then I read through these comments and hear that there are distinct problems with image quality...why bother?

DIYFilmSchool.net

"FCPX workflow". That one made me lol.

FabDex

This camera is D.O.A. I hope Bloom is severely honest in his review about the short-comings of this over-hyped, over-priced Canon rubbish so that Canon gets the wake-up call they need.

Voltaire

That was hardly a "workflow", it was mostly just "you import the files and edit". Nice to see that it just works though.

January 21, 2013

Wow, that's some mixed up thinking going on up there. Lots of Canon hate for some reason.
The 1DC is a very specialised product. It is not for filmmakers starting out.
As to the rental guy up there - an F3 is actually worth $15k on paper still. So the 1DC should rent cheaper, and it does, just. Real world value is a different thing.
Personally I'm keen to try it out. In-house a couple of us have worked with the footage and seen no banding. There will be many 4K DSLRs over the next few years - this is just the first of them.
As to this footage - its almost useless sadly.

marklondon

No banding on the shadows with canon log? C'mon!

arturo sanchez

I don't know whether the footage was shot canon log :-) I just know two of the graders here have already worked with it and both were pretty complementary about it. Said it looked good. And we have no great Canon love around here.

marklondon

One more thing re the Bloom review suggestion - he loves his 1DX. That cam looks pretty bloody good, and its some of his best work. Given that the 1DC is a 1DX with a couple of extra features and a bigger heatsink i'm not sure its going to be super negative.
If you're a drama filmmaker, why would you buy this cam? For its 12k price you could get 2 x BMDCC, a decent basic lens set, a good mic rig, a chinese 1.2k HMI and a pair of Kinos along with a raft of smaller LEDs/stands etc. Plus you may have enough left over for lunch for the crew for 2 weeks. You could make a lot of films with that rig :-)
However, as a small cam on a much bigger shoot, or for hybrid shooters looking for a bit of future proofing, the 1DC and its upcoming Nikon equivalent will do just fine.

marklondon

Is there any word of a nikon 4k, dslr?
I don't know how canon can justify this as a cinema camera?
12bit 444 should be the cinema standard.

vinceGortho

There is no 'cinema standard' for a good reason. Anything you can make a film that sells with is 'cinema standard'. Eg, Super 16 is no longer an accepted BBC HD acquisition format, yet 'Moonrise Kingdom' and 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' are pretty good (and successful) films. Site after site is debating the 'death of 35mm film' yet we haven't even managed to kill off 16mm yet! :-) So, there are TV standards (mainly for artifact reasons given the many layers of compression broadcast involves) but for cinema - if you can strike a print, DCP or actual, its cinema standard.

marklondon

And you forgetting The Hurt Locker shot in 16mm with... Well satisfying results ;-)

Giovanni

As to the Nikon 4K, its coming. I'm basing that purely on Nikon's current presence in the film and TV world (its doing well) and plain commonsense. They (and Sony, don't leave them out) already have data cards that can handle higher data rates that would suite decent 4K, certainly Scarlet level. Perhaps not this NAB, but by 2014 certainly.

marklondon

Why does canon bother with 4k if they cant even get close to perfecting 2k. What canon hits 13+ stops of dr at 2k? maybe c100? yes no?

jordan carr

What happened to this website? We used to have like nice conversations, now it's devolved into a series of camera articles with comment sections in which armchair "filmmakers" say terrible things about equipment that they have never even used.

"No film school" indeed.

john jeffreys

"armchair filmmakers?" talk for yourself dude. I am working and living on filmmaking. And Canon is a crap company that was "lucky" with the 5D. They never knew that there would be a DSLR revolution, it was just a mistake that "killed" their video department. And now they are still living in the past, they think that they can price things at whatever price point they like. But thats where we filmmakers come in and we can deny to buy from them. I admit I have Canon lenses, but I would so gladly sell everything I own from that company and so I will. How can anyone like a company that do not have a download for their "eos utility" software. But you have to have the CD, and who the hell uses CDs in 2013??

The kickass companies of 2013 are: BLACKMAGIC DESIGN, GOPRO and RED, and now SONY is catching up.
Panasonic, Canon and Nikon wayyyyyyyy behind.....

mike

Agree.

When the panny gh2/3 smokes canons costing 5x as much you know a company is pulling a fast one on its customers. Even their cinema lenses are now smoke and mirrors rehousing glass from their consumer lines. They rehouse sensors, glass, processors, and still cant pass on savings to filmmakers.

In the age of the internet smoke and mirrors only lasts a few months at best.

Even sony who is struggling as a company put in new sensors in the f55 and f5.

The anger people are expressing on forums like this is reasonable considering that it is proven that these large companies CAN produce raw cameras that customers want. The cost of ssd drives and computing power is lowering every day. No more excuses....there are plenty of compressed shootig options for thse that dont like the storage requirements required with raw atm.

Cheers.

jordan carr

Canon Cinema Lensens are a different breed much sharper and well made than the photographic ones. Sorry you are totally wrong here...

On the cameras Canon probably underestimated the competition. (Please avoid talking too much and compariing the BMCC until wil be really delivered in numbers).

Giovanni

Coming from the village troll, no less.

Swested

If you spent more than 5 minutes on this site you would realize camera articles are incredibly rare. I would say probably on average 95% of all articles on nofilmschool are devoted to filmmaking as a craft- from script-writing to tips on every facet of production. This is one of very few film blogs that almost never comment on cameras.

JC

I really like the picture. it really nice and sharp but still filmic. it´s really crazy that they managed it to get 4k out of such a camera. i mean the red cameras are heave and have a fan like a helicopter to cool them down. sure this is no raw but it´s really good baked footage. the bitrate is quiete high with around 500mbit. 60 MB per second get u 250gb the hour. but still ok. i´d prefer this camera any other camera in the moment. i must say for my work i can use only very small cameras. also the workflow is very good. i put in premiere cs6 and it runs very nice with 30% of cpu usage and full resolution. for examble the red raw 5k take 99% of my cpu in 1/4 rez and 4k raw take 50% in 1/4 rez... it´s a bit expensive but i would defenetly take this cam if i had the money...

ben

Agree the PROS OF THIS CAMERA LONG BATTERY LIFE, NO LOUD GENERATOR FAN, lightweight, insane isos , and probably the best damn stills camera on the planet SANS hassleblad medium formats.

1. SONY F3 with just can beat 444 color space , grab a used f3 with gemini all for under 15k a steal(baby alexa
2. Canon 1dc
3. canon c100 you would be a fool to pay more for the c300

Jayy Slocum

Canon's 1DC 4k 1DC file downscaled to 2k would be 444,just sayi'n

arturo sanchez

Sony PMW-F5 is the killer :)

mike

The comments are disappointing, because the full frame and high FPS options are real cool to have in such a small package. The 4K seems a bit like a novelty in it's implementation. I'd rather just have the option for SDI out to an external recorder instead of a lower resolution internally to CF cards. I'm going to rent one for a shoot next month and I'll be looking for work-arounds to avoid the banding issues in the meantime.

Marc B

Wish some better sample shots were available. (ie Forgot his tripod???). Don't see banding but only plays at 12 FPS on my Quicktime Pro when the file is on my desktop. May need to try to put the 1DC file on an external drive and open it in Premier CS 6... This camera seems extremely expensive when we can assume a better cheaper camera will probably be available in several months, and post-production workflow is not clear at this time.... Maybe Canon needs to communicate to the market why this camera costs so much, and how this camera is supposed to be used with the typical editing systems being used....

Rob

*** Video Track Parameters ***
- Format: Photo - JPEG
- Bitrate: Max.: Undefined / Average: 502 Mbps / Min.: Undefined
- Frame rate (fps): Max.: --- / Average: 23.976 / Min.: ---
- Encoding profile: Undefined
- Image size: 4096*2160
- Pixel Aspect Ratio: Undefined
- Display Aspect Ratio: 1.896

Ben

The 1D C is to 4k what the 5D III is to 1080p.

TiCa

Other than self indulgent yuppies who already ostentatiously flaunt the red circle around their lenses and only want a red C on the body, who is the target market for this!? I could imagine the only real appeal of the 1D-C is pulling still JPEGS (which Bloom and many others have done and reviewed). I've had the 5D MkIII since it came out and was very much looking forward to seeing this new 4K Canon item in action. But with the only exception being still frames being captured, I am completely content with sticking with the 5D MkIII. Unless I had something going on a big screen... then I'd rent/borrow an EPIC.

January 21, 2013

This is a specialty camera. You use it when you want to strap a 4K camera in a tight spot, like the undercarriage of a car, or the helmet of a skydiver. That's about it. The price point obviously does not compute as a purchase.

DPTomWells

gopro 4k interchangeable coming soon NAB 2013

mike

You make some good points except that the 1D X or C are not the best still cameras on the planet when cameras like the Nikon D800E have more resolution, better DR, and cleaner high ISO images to boot and actually do compare well against MF cameras like the Pentax 645D, Phase One and Hasselblads. For speed, and again for low-light there's also the D4. Nikon's been using better sensors than Canon a while now.

Markus Arike