March 9, 2013

Back Up Your Data from Evernote, Google Drive, Dropbox and Other Cloud-Based Apps with CloudHQ

If I haven't mentioned it yet, I basically live my life through Evernote. I discovered it in late 2011 and it changed my workflow for not only taking notes, but my entire writing process. Organizing ideas has become a whole different game, one that for me has increased my productivity tenfold. If you met me at party, Evernote and my advocation of its use would undoubtedly end up in our conversation. With Evernote's recent security scare, it made me realize: I don't actually even have files on my computer anymore -- they're all in the cloud. Well, what if the cloud goes down? I scrambled to find a solution to create a redundant backup of my Evernote files (i.e. all the notes on a screenplay I'm writing, audio interviews, photo references, etc) and I discovered cloudHQ.

CloudHQ is a cloud-syncing service that allows some of your cloud-based applications to communicate and back each other up in real-time. I've synced my Evernote to my Google Drive so that redundant copies of my notes are being created at all times. You can set it up for two-way copying, so any change made in Evernote will reflect in Google Drive, and vice versa, but I opted for the one-way backup as I only change notes inside the Evernote clients. Here's some easy instructions for how to set up a backup with Evernote:

Basecamp users can back up projects, even across multiple Basecamp accounts, including all data, messages, documents, attachments, and diagrams. CloudHQ can also help you migrate your documents from one service to another, which can be very helpful if want to consolidate data across multiple accounts, i.e. Google Docs. They have several levels of premium accounts, the entry-level for a personal account being only $5 per month. It's currently compatible with Evernote, Dropbox, Basecamp, Box, SugarSync, Google Drive, and SkyDrive.

Senad Dizdar, founder & CEO at cloudHQ defines 'real-time' and talks about upcoming features:

Other systems have schedules for their backup / replication: they start their backups / copies on daily / weekly schedules. On the other hand we are based on continuous data protection. Since I was one the lead engineers and managers in Oracle Database team responsible for backup and recovery, I understand the need to immediately replicate data and how to do it in a scalable manner and securely. So, the idea of cloudHQ is that as soon as data is changed it will be replicated to the other side. We do have plans to add new cloud services (and on-premise systems): Amazon S3, SharePoint integration, some specialize storage providers (photo, video), more email providers additional to Gmail, and couple of project management systems.
On features side, we are working on better cloudHQ for Teams: which allow teams and small companies to easily backup, replication, and integrate all their cloud storage accounts from the central location. We copy about 1 to 2 million of files a day.

An idiom my brother said to me recently has been echoing in my head: "Two is one and one is none." It's all about redundancy. As independent filmmakers, we can't afford to lose our work to chance. I  signed up for cloudHQ's entry-level plan at $5 / month, and although the 5GB that comes free with many of the cloud-storage services will probably be enough for the casual Evernote user, I upgraded my Google Drive to 25GB for just $2.50 / month (for ¢10 / Gigabyte Google can own my soul). So for $7.50 every month I feel confident going forward that all my work is redundant... again.

How do you back up your important files? Let us know down below.

Link: cloudHQ -- Website

Crazy kids and your interwebs...

March 9, 2013

Robert Hardy
Writer
Cinematographer / Editor

But seriously, this is really cool.

March 9, 2013

Robert Hardy
Writer
Cinematographer / Editor

If you are still using "My Documents" for local storage on your computer, you are nuts. Dropbox is has been my 'My Documents' for a couple years now -- and it means no need for backups, that I can use multiple computers around the house and office and stay in-sync, and whenever I re-load an OS -- getting up-to-date means installing Dropbox and waiting about 90 minutes for my files to appear. Short of media storage (for video, etc.) -- I won't go back to using a local store for files anymore.

March 9, 2013

Ben Prater

Just wait til your account gets hacked and you lose your entire life in the blink of an eye. There is no one perfect storage solution. Always, always, back-up your files!

March 10, 2013

Sean

Partition your hard drive into two parts , keep your file in one and the os on the other one , if something happen you the only thing you have to do is to install the program those files need to be run -- no need to wait 90 minites + so and need to connect to the internet to get it or other ...

May 7, 2013

Marios

I've been a freelance production artist and audio engineer for a while now and Dropbox has become the single most essential front desk for conducting much of my business. From project collaboration to document publishing and sharing, to iterating contracts during negotiation, It's allowed me to survive this long doing what I do from a location that locally I would never exist. This internet model has allowed me to bypass much of the barriers to entry in the marketplace that I would face just staying in the physical world or even trying to branch out into the nearest markets that do exist out here.

The latest client job I was busy doing a training session away from my studio and a different client had updated a project file and I was able to see the updated version in my dropbox via my android phone! I don't even have to be in my studio much of the time to continue conducting business at any moment in the day.

March 9, 2013

btw, if you liked Evernote you'll love Springpad.

March 12, 2013

Marco

I joined SugarSync and I find it great, the best of all. if you want to subscribe please use the following link (invitation) and you will get 500 MB more 'than the free 5GB offered.  hello.

April 8, 2013

gianni

I was using Dropbox (not enough free space for me), Sugarsync (same like Dropbox, and for me slow).

Now I am using new service - Copy. They will give you 15GB for free.

If you register on Copy by this link, and install their application to backup / sync your data, you will get 20GB for free!
Here is the link: https://copy.com?r=zPku0e

Bonus for you is, that if you will find some referral, you will get next 5GB for free per each! Like this, you can get unlimited space for free!

August 25, 2013