Canon Announces Two New DSLRs, the Incredibly Small and Light SL1, and the T5i

Well, no more rumors -- here they are. Canon has announced two new 18 Megapixel APS-C DSLRs, the T5i (also known as the 700D) and the SL1 (also known as the 100D), both part of the Rebel line. Rumored specs however, were pretty much on the money, with the SL1 being leaked online earlier in the week. While the T5i looks like a replacement for the T4i, the SL1 is really an entirely new product line for Canon, which is probably why they've decided to go with a new product naming scheme. Click through for more on the announcements and a few videos showing off the two cameras below.

Here are the specs on the T5i:

• 18MP APS-C Sensor
  • DIGIC 5 Processor
  • 3" Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD
  • ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600
  • 1080p 30/24 and 720p 60 (25 and 50 for PAL countries)
  • Continuous Video AF
  • 5 fps // 22 JPEG or 6 RAW
  • 9-point All Cross-Type Autofocus
  • SD/SDHC/SDXC/UHS-I
  • Multi Shot Noise Reduction
  • Price: $750 Body, $900 with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
  • $1,100 with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

Here is the SL1:

• 18MP APS-C Sensor
  • DIGIC 5 Processor
  • 3" Clear View II Touch Screen LCD
  • ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600
  • 1080p 30/24 and 720p 60 (25 and 50 for PAL countries)
  • Continuous Video AF
  • 4 fps // 27 JPEG or 7 RAW
  • 9-Point All Cross-Type AF System
  • SD/SDHC/SDXC/UHS-I
  • Weighs 0.8 lb // 13 ounces
  • Price: $650 Body, $800 with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

Neither camera has a headphone port, but they both do have manual audio controls. The 18-55 STM is actually a brand new lens for Canon, and it allows autofocus with both cameras, and any other camera that is compatible with STM (silent motor) lenses. While it seemed clear that one of these DSLRs was going to be the 60D replacement, the 70D, it looks like that has been pushed back for the time being. It's not clear yet if these 18MP sensors are any different than what we have in the EOS-M and the T4i, but the sensor in those cameras was a slight upgrade from the 18MP sensor in cameras like the 7D/60D/T3i.

Links:

[via Canon Watch & Canon Watch]

And the T5i is different from the T4i....how?

TehRandax

I completley agree with you! why Canon.... why!?

Andrea

it's newer

....

March 21, 2013

It has a higher number than 4, therefore it must be superior, case closed, beyond any room for further arguement, accepted by all experts in the field as such and therefore void of any controversy except by extremists who are a danger to society.

Max

and the award for completely alienating their customers and making people switch to other companies goes to: Canon

Mark K

agreed completely. i went with canon initially since they seemed like the appropriate balance for DSLRs between video and still image but that this point it's like they're not even trying to be competitive.

Eric

at least when apple change something yearly it is at least something of an update.

this is 3 generations better than my 550d / t2i how? But then I guess the casual soccer mum crowd wouldn't either know or care about this. Just us tight fisted pro and semi pro's who just want to see Canon attempt to match their rivals punch for punch.

Chris Lambert

Just three days ago I convinced a colleague to not upgrade his his T3i to a T4i because...why should he? And now they have the 5, and it's still the same.... I can't wait for the day I can take the EF mounts off of my CP.2s and move on from Canon. I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is just the end of the road for my relationship with them. 5 years on from the 5D mkII, and still no real evolution on the video front?!?!? I know the C100/300/500 are hot rentals, ..... dur, not going to rant. But dammit, Canon! You can't start a revolution, accidental or not, and then abandon us (or worse yet, ignore the community that formed around your products while trying to exploit our consumer impulses).

Side note: is Panasonic going to get back in the game or what? They used to be the only game in town for cine-look video. These days... meh. Come on guys, give us an AF200 that shoots 12-bit raw to P2s (and comes with a MFT SpeedBooster) for under $5K....

duane

yeah i switched to the sony fs100 from canon and sold all my glass, they lost my business 8 months ago. it seems that at least sony is really trying to have a camera for every market. then theres bolex, bmcc, the list goes on and on someone needs to step up and steal the revolution already. ill be at nab and cant wait to see whats out there to make my next camera decision

Mark K

Panasonic have test cams in the wild.

marklondon

what are the specs on the test cams they've got out? i haven't heard anything about them.

Ben Howling

Is there a cut-and-paste error with the specs for the two (presumably different, yes?) kit lenses the T5i will be available with? I'm having trouble discerning the $900 package from the $1100 one the way it's written right now.

trackofalljades

I'll gladly admit when I mess up but I don't believe there was any cut and paste mistake:

18-55 is $900
18-135 is $1100

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Thanks dude, for some reason my sleepy brain was seeing the 135 twice, my bad! :)

trackofalljades

What's really funny about all this is that, the $329.00 SX280 also announced today has a DIGIC 6 IMAGE PROCESSOR(Rumored to be found in the coming 70d & 7mark 2). The SX280 also has BUILT IN WiFi... G.P.S. And last but not list 60 fps video recording ability. LOL! WTF??? I guess you can get the SX280 if you want slow-MO! Haha! :) Check out the specs here http://photorumors.com/2013/03/21/canon-powershot-sx280-compact-camera-a...

Ramaatis

LOL, I'm bet someone gave the wrong spec sheet to the wrong team during manufacturing. Silly Canon hahaha

March 22, 2013

P337

They're suffering from the post-Jobs Apple syndrome: instead of actually innovating, let's just keep making our products smaller!

Hummer

Why are you guys bashing Canon for making a consumer-oriented camera that DOES NOT market itself to filmmakers in any way? Moreover, why is NFS even posting about this?

john jeffreys

wow, i did not mean for that comment to be in reply to you.

this site needs a new commenting system

john jeffreys

It has a video mode, it has video functions, it has a flip out screen. They care about the video market. Not as much as their photo market, but they care.

March 21, 2013

there is a difference between semi-artistic college kids filming their frends smoke weed and freestyle rap on youtube with their t3i's and actual working pros that need economically priced yet professionally featured tools for their jobs. I feel like canon is marketing to the latter, because I only see kids with rebels

john jeffreys

I started with a rebel because that's all I could afford. If you're a young or a new filmmaker then you may not be able to afford the $2000 camera. Especially when the video is nearly indistinguishable from the next level up. It doesn't speak to your artistic ability so much as your financial ability. Everyone starts somewhere and it usually isn't with an Alexa...

March 21, 2013

Hi! it simple.. its a must for no budget filmmakers like us!
Take a look at our ninja short shot on the T3i https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbN-izVghmo

March 21, 2013

That doesn't change the fact that it's a market. The Rebel line was/is the start for a lot of current pros. They had a very strong hold on this market back with the addition of 24p on the Mark II but that turned out to be a fluke in the system. Canon plays it safe and they over price all of their products because they can. That flies until the general public wises up to the fact that they're being screwed and that all starts on sites like this. Enough 2 star product reviews on Amazon and poor reception on blog sites like this WILL affect Canon's bottom line.

March 21, 2013

And it has, look at their market numbers for the past three years. They peaked in early 2010 which (not surprisingly) coincides with the addition of 24p on the Mark II. They started up an entire new line to cater to the higher end video market while thinking they could keep the low end satisfied with the Rebel line. Problem is they failed to deliver on both ends. I personally think the "C" line is as big of a joke as the Rebel line now.

March 21, 2013

I started with a t1i (before that I stole my high school's awful panasonic camcorder), because the only options were that or the super expensive (at the time) 5d and 7d, both of them being 1800+, and crippled feature-wise. Then I got a t2i literally the week it came out and used that for a while, then upgraded to a 5d 2, but now it just sits in my case and i have a habit of renting cameras and lenses that fit the aesthetic of whatever im making.

so yeah, i get the point about how dslrs are necessary for a budget, but im also thinking that canon really just doesnt care and wants to lock you into an upgrade path where you own an XXD and keep selling it year after year to get the next camera which only has incremental upgrades.

And yeah, the C line is a total joke. SO much potential...it could have been the iPod of cinema cameras and dominated the market, but they priced and specced it so stupidly that now they sit and gather dust on rental house shelves. I hope they at least make a C50 or something that would steal the BMCC thunder

john jeffreys

How is this camera a step up from the t3i and t4i for photos?
As for the 1st video that says its the lightest smallest aps-c camera at 375 grams, the Sony nex cameras are 200+ grams...

March 27, 2013

Mike

Could it be possible, that the video mode ir sharper in these models?

Reinis

My problem with Canon is simply the lack of focus. They figure that the people who are shooting on DSLRs right now will simply transition to their cinema series so they don't update the video side of their DSLRs very often. The problem with that line of thinking is that the reason we're shooting on DSLRs to begin with is that at present we cannot afford anything in their cinema series. I understand the need to push new products and make money, but there doesn't seem to be anything new about these cameras!

Coty

I'm taking the number of comments on this piece as an excellent indication of the level of interest in these products.
Little to none.

marklondon

58+ isn't too bad

March 22, 2013

Derek

these new canon cameras aren't for professionals and the casual shooter wouldn't care either way...

People want pro cameras for $800 and its not going to happen. the best we have is the BMCC for $3000 naked (add extra $1000 at least) and it has a its own issues...

Go GH3 if you want a better video quality. In its price range I think is the only option. I'm using it as a B cam for my Red Mx and the results are good, not amazing but it does the job.

Alex Mand

Canon... come on. Stop doing that.

alex

Even if a possible Panasonic AF200 will record on P2 cards with 4:2:2 10 bit color sampling and AVCIntra100 ad bitrate would be a-camera-to-have. Because allow you great image, color grading, good keyng instead of a workflow "cheaper" than raw! I mean, with this specs I will buy immediatly, even if I would spend 6000€ (7.748 dollars). What Canon is doing with this realeses is really difficult to understand!

How wants to approach to digital photography buy a camera like the T3/4/5i or Nikon D5300/5200. But there's much better alternatives (the Olympus OM-D, Fujix100, ETC) than this new Canon cameras!

It seems they didn't watch how the market is evolving...

Andrea

Sorry, I mean "Who wants to approach..." :)

Andrea

Canon lost my business last July when I got the FS700. Fantastic camera. Until Canon comes out with something worth the money I won't buy from them. I have Zeiss manual primes but I do find my Canon zooms to be really useful for run and gun / working fast; and I still feel that their zooms are pretty much the best for the price. But their camera bodies are all a pass (including C100 and C300) and just not worth the money. Thank God for Metabones. The strangest / most ironic thing is that Canon lenses actually have more functionality on NEX bodies with the Metabones Speedbooster, ie. Full Frame. You get more value / function for your Canon lenses on a Sony. WTF?

Canon is just becoming a lose lose proposition.

Gene Sung

DSLRs are not made for filmmakers. They never were. The fact that filmmakers embraced them was a fluke of design, but going forward, DSLRs are not going to be where the action is. There's nothing in it for the DSLR manufacturer who also make cameras for professional video world, and why the hell do filmmakers want a mirror reflex in their motion picture camera?

Sitting around berating a company for making a consumer product for consumer photographers is just plain dumb.

I've got great results from the 5D mkII. I've been watching the DSLR market closely since and I'm telling you, this is as good as it gets. The next serious camera I implement into my business is going to be something like an FS700 or Canon C100

March 21, 2013

I agree with you. But the problem still remain: I have a T4i and it's good, simply and efficient for the beginner of photography or videography. Canon have already done something for the low end market: why they're doing other similar cameras? For the High end there's the 1Dx, the 5DMK3, but for the middle range of photographers there's nothing new, even if we watch the products only for their photografic specifications! 7D and 60D are pretty the same camera (except for some few features) and the 600D and 650D are quite the same camera. So, again "why these two new cameras, with the same sensor, the same 5 frame per second, the same iso (and probably noise) sensitivity, the same plastic body and nothing new?!"

Andrea

... because people will buy them.

not budget filmmakers. photographers (well, use that term loosely). and hipsters. and i assume that canon has half-intelligent analysts on their staff, and apparently, they have decided that they can sell 2 of the same exact camera (well... going on 6 or so now, eh?) and make money.

i love hearing people whine about canon's cameras (well, the rebel/7d/60d range). "why don't they do this.... why don't they do that..." seriously i think some people on this site could use a couple business classes at uni. or economics. for some reason we expect canon as a company to do us favors at a discount, when they have no business need to. i don't hear people expecting banks and wall street to do us favors when they have no business need to

March 21, 2013

And they need to get over themselves Low-budget Filmmakers don't drive this entry-level DSLR market, proud parents who love to snap shots of their kids do. Photo-enthusiast do. Hobbyists do. And there's NOTHING wrong with that. Different tools for different people.

March 21, 2013

Why does canon never update their sensors? They've had the same IQ sensors for 10 years. Want proof? Go on dxomark and click on Canon. It's literally a straight line. And then click on Nikon, which progresses and improves over time. Canon sucks. Nikon is bounds better, now even for video.

James

I hate the way Canon conducts their business, but I can understand why some people would want or need a Canon product.
What I find disgusting is that they charge people $1099 for THE EXACT SAME FEATURES AND IMAGE QUALITY they can get for $580 if they go T3i. That is plain theft with a little make-up.

March 21, 2013

Making a DSLR smaller doesn't make it more usable. Chopping off the grip may appeal to m43 fans who seem to believe that ALL camera should be miniature because it's just too much effort to carry a normal DSLR, but it won't make the camera easier to shoot with, or balance better with telephoto lenses. It is much, much more tiring to shoot with a camera that has no grip. I'm hoping this trend towards miniaturization ends soon.

As far as the sensor, it's strange that Nikon used the 16 mp Exmor in the D7000/D5100 for one release cycle and it was class leading for DR, color depth and ISO. Canon has this mediocre 18 mp sensor and they are using it over, and over, and over again. Go figure.

Markus

I started with Canon when the T2i first came out. Since then I've moved on to the 5D mark 3 but I can't say I'm pleased with the way Canon is doing business. They're doing the same thing Apple is doing. Ripping off the customer and not improving in any way shape or form.

Hubert Hotte

No Wi-Fi? That's their biggest mistake. That's what they needed. I'd pick one up as a knock-around if it had Wi-Fi.

Scott

I'm sure that posting your gripes with Canon here will make an impact ... LOL
If you don't like what Canon does, don't buy Canon. Instead of whining on every single post here about what Canon should do.

March 21, 2013

If Canon doesn't realease at least 5 new cameras in the next month , I'll be very dissapointed.

Jesuan

Move on, nothing new here.

Kuk

Are there any d7100s for sale anywhere yet ? I wish someone would test one for moire.

Rafael Kino

Just get a 5200. that's already well tested. Has little moire. Very close to my D800. Or do you need the slightly better stills?

March 22, 2013