Panasonic Releases New GH3 Firmware V1.1, Will We See a Hack Soon?
The Panasonic GH3, if you’ve been looking to buy one, has been out of stock many places pretty consistently. While it began shipping in November of last year, there have been quite a few shortages over the past few months — not too dissimilar from the launch of the GH2. That hasn’t stopped Panasonic from improving the product, however, as they’ve just released a new firmware update, version 1.1. Check out the details below.
Here is the list of updates in the new firmware:
- Connecting to PC via Wi-Fi by inputting the computer name (the NetBIOS name for Apple Mac computers) is enabled.
- 1920 x 1080, 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL), 28Mbps mode is added in the video recording option of [MP4].
- Speed of AF, consecutive shooting performance of AFC is enhanced in use with H-PS14042 and H-PS45175.
- The monitor continues to display images during HDMI output even while [Auto LVF / Monitor OFF] is set.
- Instability of shutter interval during interval shooting is improved.
- When [Shutter AF] is OFF, operation is changed not to enlarge the image while using [Pinpoint AF] when even if shutter button is half-pressed.
- Performance of image signal processing is enhanced during video file playback.
So obviously this isn’t a huge update for most people, but it does add some key improvements related to the HDMI functionality, and a new 28mbps MP4 mode — which already existed in other file formats in the camera. The big question for people will be whether this means we are any closer to a hack on the camera. Vitaliy Kiselev, who developed the original hacks for both the GH1 and GH2 (with plenty of additions from other people along the way like Nick Driftwood), mentioned in the forum that he has a camera on the way but has not yet begun hacking — which means we are probably some time away from a firmware hack.
To download the update, head on over to the Panasonic download site.
For those with GH3 cameras, what would you like to see in a firmware hack? Are you happy with the quality already?
- Panasonic Firmware Download Site
- Panasonic Firmware Update Procedure
- Notice for DMC-GH3, H-FS45150, H-PS14042 and H-PS45175 Firmware Update — Panasonic Press Release
[via 4/3 Rumors]