Description image

Take 12 Minutes Out of Your Day to Watch Ray Tintori's 'Death to the Tinman'

03.6.13 @ 6:10PM Tags : , , ,

Not having a ton of professional talent or money doesn’t mean you can’t make a great film, but letting your budget be your aesthetic opens up a whole other world of creative possibilities. Ray Tintori’s short Death to the Tinman, which won an award at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, is a perfect example of working within a limited budget but achieving what feels like a much bigger film thanks to some clever DIY effects and ingenuity. I first saw the film a few years ago, and while it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, it’s a great example of doing a lot with a little, and not apologizing for your budget.

Thanks to Kentucker Audley and NoBudge for posting this (it’s a great resource for no budget films, as the name would suggest):

There is a bit of irony in the fact that the film itself boasts so much heart (considering its main character lacks one). The movie was one of the first from Court 13, the loose collective of filmmakers that began at Wesleyan University and is responsible for the Oscar-nominated Beasts of the Southern Wild. If you compare Tinman to the post we just shared explaining some of the best practices to get your short in a festival, it ticks off plenty of the boxes while pushing the boundaries a bit with a few others. The film contains a lot of story in just 12 minutes, and while this would be to the detriment of many movies, the rapid and unflinching pace is what I think sets it apart and dares you to look away.

Links:

[via NoBudge]

Related Posts

1. Experience the Birth and Death of a Relationship in 'The Divison of Gravity'
  2. We All Start Somewhere: Watch the Directorial Debut That Haunts Academy Award Winner Ben Affleck
  3. Must-Watch Excerpt from Lynne Ramsay's Hauntingly Beautiful Black and White 35mm Film 'Swimmer'

COMMENT POLICY

Description image 19 COMMENTS

• Joe, Court 13 is from Wesleyan University – not NYU. Great film though, thanks for the post!

• Joe Marine on 03.6.13 @ 6:16PM

Yeah why did I write that?

• Joe Marine on 03.6.13 @ 6:27PM

His Dad is involved with NYU. Somehow I crossed those wires. :)

• I like how this film (shot on 16mm I believe) really shows that camera sharpness and smooth cinematography arent essential to tell a great story. If anything, the graininess of 16mm helps to cloak the films low budget production.

• Joe Marine on 03.6.13 @ 7:46PM

Yeah it was shot on 16mm. I totally agree, they used the tools to their advantage and told a story that fit the 16mm gritty aesthetic, that’s what I love about it.

• Really loved that short, its great how much can be done with very little, as long as the content is handles correctly, it can be done.

• Clark Nikolai on 03.7.13 @ 1:10AM

Really nice. It reminds me a lot of those wacky films from Winnipeg.

It appears to be slow moving but in actuality, it’s fairly fast paced. Never dwells on anything too long.

• I remember when everyone was obsessed with this in Film school…….in 2007. Welcome to the bandwagon.

• This is really good!! Thanks!

• Brilliant. Thanks for posting it.

• javier rivera on 03.7.13 @ 7:21AM

Super super old…but still great. I saw this in the accompanied DVDwith the book “Looking at Movies.” They had other student films in it and they’re all really good and the author goes over why each film stands out. I’m not plugging the book, but it is a must for the people that come to this site. I think it came out in 2009, there may be an updated version.

• Thanks so much Joe. Hadn’t seen that wonderful little film. Screams that “heart” transcends even story when it comes to film making, leaving technical skills/tools in an important, yet distant third place.

• Now THAT ,was most Excellent. Thanks for bringing it to our attention

• Glad to be late to the party. That was fantastic.

• pass the kool aid. I don’t see anything worth sh*t.

• I watched this at the Nashville Film Festival years ago and was blown away. I’ve been sharing this with friends for years to very mixed responses. :)