April 29, 2013

Blackmagic Cinema Camera V1.3 Audio Improvements & New Issues, Optimization Update from juicedLink

The latest firmware update for the current Blackmagic Cinema Camera only officially included one new feature, mainly for broadcast professionals who needed interlaced video in a TV environment. However, according to Robert Wolzak from juicedLink, it seems they also snuck in some audio functionality changes, but not without additional idiosyncrasies. Get all the details in the video below:

From juicedLink:

A new firmware upgrade was released for the BMCC (v1.3). Although they didn't announce that there were changes to the audio, they made some really nice improvements. Unfortunately, they also kind of broke another aspect of the audio. I'm kind of bummed to have to put this video together, but I've got to create an audio applications guide for customers for getting the best performance possible from the camera. On the positive side, this video has turned into a really nice tutorial for how to implement equalization in post to fix a component with poor performing frequency response in your signal chain.

Good News:

• DC Offset is fixed
  • Auto switch from MIC to LINE on overload is fixed

Bad News:

• New limitations in frequency response

It's nice to know Blackmagic is trying to cover their tracks and implement small fixes, but it's even nicer to know that people like Robert are out there paying attention and reporting on these details. For anyone recording audio into your BMCC, I highly recommend watching the above video to understand the way the camera handles audio, and keep an eye out for juicedLink's Blackmagic specific on-camera pre amp, the BMC366, due in late May.

Link: Blackmagic Cinema Camera v1.3 Audio Tests — juicedLink

I didn't know that the pocket cinema camera doesn't have audio levels. That is a bummer. I wasn't planning on using it for in-camera audio much, but still, sometimes the situation calls for that.

April 29, 2013

David S.

I have used one for eight weeks now and suggest you simply do an off camera recording and lay a guide track on the camera to match up later.
The internal mic just catches the fan noise and its best to turn it off. As the camera currently has no audio meters I would not trust recording direct to camera in any situation. You will have no back up.
Just my two cents..
On the plus side the picture is amazing.

April 29, 2013

Jim

It's quite possible to use an external mic with the camera, but it has to be a controlled situation. I've been doing a series of interviews with a Røde Pinmic, and I haven't had any clipping or problems at all. With firmware 1.2, you can keep input level around 20%, then use FCP X's noise reduction (at low levels) to correct the DC Offset. Hopefully they'll fix the new frequency response issue in 1.4.

April 29, 2013

You're not supposed to be using onboard audio for these cameras. Please go use an actual camcorder for that stuff. The onboard mic on there is for scratch sound and the audio outs are for slightly better scratch sound

April 29, 2013

john jeffries

Dare to dream and companies might dare to make it a reality.

April 30, 2013

Jules

Now if they'll only get the MFT version out.

April 30, 2013

Man... in the video this Robert guy is an audio genius.

May 2, 2013

Razor

I'd be very interested in what product data you come up with on the new Blackmagic Pocket Cam when you get one to evaluate, I own one of your products and can see getting a newer one for the BMPC I've ordered.

May 3, 2013

I agree with many people on this post about not using the onboard audio of cameras like these. I could not believe the BM takes jack inputs? Why not XLRs? Or mini XLRs at least?

Until cameras like these are also being bought for their audio capability and not just picture, manufacturers wont pay for audio, as there is no point. Applying EQ in post is stupid! It would take less time to sync files from a half decent recorder-and sound much better!

May 20, 2013

sir blackmagic camera quality is damgood but sound phone jack is not properly hearing why?

April 21, 2014