April 8, 2013

It's Official: Introducing Blackmagic 4K & Pocket Cinema Cameras for $4K and $1K

Official word has just dropped from last night's exciting announcement leak of two new cameras from Blackmagic Design: The 4k Production Camera and the Pocket Cinema Camera. Any skepticism on its legitimacy is now put to rest -- it's real alright. Read on for the full details and more info about the cameras from John Brawley.

Updating this post regularly. Thanks to John Brawley for the heads up.

Blackmagic Production Camera 4k

• Super 35 size sensor with a global shutter
  • Native 3840 x 2160 resolution, optional 1920 x 1080 (via downsampling)
  • 12 Stops Of Dynamic Range
  • Shoots 23.98/24/25fps, 29.97/30fps, 50i and 59.94i in 1920 x 1080
  • EF Mount
  • Visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ)
  • 21.12 x 11.88mm active sensor area

• Shipping in July for $995
  • 3.5" LCD touchscreen
  • Removable Battery
  • Built in Stereo Mics
  • LANC, micro HDMI with overlays

John Brawley speaks to the sensor size of the 4K model:

In the same form factor as the BMCC, they now put a near super 35 4K sensor. Not only that but the global shutter, eliminates rolling shutter, something many found irritating to work with. The active image area is 21.12mm x 11.88mm. Super 35 @ 1.78 is 24.89 mm × 14mm. By way of comparison the Sony F5 is 22.6 x 12.7mm and they get to call theirs Super 35.

On global shutter and dynamic range of the 4K camera:

Because of the global shutter and different sensor technology, the 4K one doesn’t quite have the same DR, but it’s still going to be very good and certainly better than most of the dSLR’s from what I can see. It’s still early days and right now they’re trying to squeeze as much DR as they can, but the global shutter mode and slightly different sensor technology means it won’t match the BMCC. I’ve shot some early engineering tests and it actually already looks very good. When you directly compare it for DR, you see the difference, but by itself, the images are still great.

On the Pocket Cinema's recording capabilities:

Currently the prototype camera I have records only in ProRes 422 @ 10 bit, just like the BMCC. The plan is to add a NEW compressed RAW implementation of DNG. The spec allows for this be lossless (not lossy) and at 1.5:1 – 1.2-:1.

As I mentioned the Pocket cinema camera also has an interchangeable battery and records to regular SD cards. Though you can’t get away with any old SD card. I’ve been using only the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb. Like we’ve discovered with the SSD’s, they aren’t all created equal, even when the specs say they are. BMD are doing the research right now on this so expect to see a list of SD cards that will be recommended.

Well, what a pleasant surprise from Blackmagic. It's already proving to be an exciting NAB! Share your thoughts about these announcements in the comments!

Links:

BY THE BEARD OF ZEUS!

Chris Lambert

+1 i laughed

Eric

Same

Casey Orion

Hahaha +3

Cris

Amazing! I can't wait for the frame rate info! Any chance we will see 60/120fps?

Serhan

23.98, 24, 29.97, 30 only :(

Ryan O'Rourke

The way John is talking about how Black Magic is still trying to optimize the sensor really makes me think there is no way they will be shipping in 3 months.

Ryan O'Rourke

My guess is BMD will ship a couple of units in July and gradually ship globally in double digits by 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.

Marvin

lolol

JayClout

+2 -- at this point, anyone who takes their word for shipping deserves to be disappointed. B&H Photo told me last week they have "no idea" when they will have enough cameras to even cover their own back orders. And another major L.A. reseller told me the same thing, saying "Good luck if you buy a BMCC..." On paper, the concept was brilliant and the early tests looked great. BUT...

John B.

You both have no idea what the production chain is like for either of these two models.

Hummer

Hummer: I think it's you who have no idea. I am a journalist who covers the film production industry for a living. I just got off the phone with the head of pro video at B&H. He said they now have NO IDEA when they will even get enough BMCC's to fill their BACK ORDERS. He said they can no longer even guarantee that they will be able to catch up on back orders by END OF THE SUMMER. "We just have no idea at this point," he said. "BM has told us so many different stories and come up short on so many promises that we've decided not to give any assurances at all." A major reseller in L.A. told me the same thing last week. Do you dispute that they know what the['re talking about? As I said earlier, let the buyer beware...

John B.

You're just talking to customer service reps who are trained to be ambiguous when it comes to hot items. Unless you have insider information or actually work for Blackmagic, shut up.

john jeffreys

I got on blackmagic's site earlier but got booted off when I hit the refresh... couldn't find a pre-order option for the pocket camera. If anyone finds a pre-order option for the pocket cam please post a link.

Booby Hill

You can pre-order at CVP out of the UK with a small deposit.

You git!

I just got my order in 30 mins ago at CVP, and thought I'd be one of the first.
Your comment right at the top of this article probably just cost me 300 places in line!
Haha

Fresno Bob

Let me preface this by saying I love this and am probably in for at least the pocket camera.

Is there a distinct difference to making the larger sensor an EF mount and the smaller sensor an m4/3 mount? I know the specifications of it all but I guess it wasn't worth making them both EF mounts or trying to engineer the larger sensor to be compatible with the m4/3 lenses?

Eric

The S16 sensor size makes it compatible with a ton of current and vintage glass, but the EF mount would put too much distance between the lenses and the sensor to be usable. That's why the original BMCC also had an m4/3 mount version announced late last year.

April 8, 2013

I've been bouncing around their site with updated content for both cameras - they list the usual places for preordering but I haven't seen sites offering a preorder yet (aside from CVP in the UK).

April 8, 2013

I just got my 2.5K RAW BMCC this week. Sitting here wondering if I should return it and wait.. probably going to keep it and work with it, it's taken me almost a year to get it in my hands.

If promised me I could get a new 4K camera in July, I might change my thinking, but it's likely to be another long wait.

April 8, 2013

ebay it. Someone will buy since nothing is out there like it...until there is.

April 8, 2013

agree Ebay it not only will it sell but you could easily make a $1000 profit, a week ago i was searching for black magic cameras and was willing to pay 4k just to have one, but now this news, the pocket cam seems like a new nice toy , it will be the NEW GOPRO of cinema since it does not rely on the faulty ssd problems of its bigger brother or sister , 10 bit 422 in daylight makes it a nice attractive camera real world camera.

My question is what type of current micro 4/3's glass would be available with the pocket cam or better yet how about nikon glass with meta bone speed booster, would that work, can somebody help or chime in on lens option/solutions.

JayClout

The auto Lumix lenses are great, as well as the Olympus, Rokinon, and Voigtlander glass. All affordable, some electronic.

April 8, 2013

I've got quite a few vintage M42 lenses that I absolutely love. Tons of them available on ebay, V cheap and the adapter to M 4/3's is about 4 quid.

Neill

Neill, whats the link to your ebay store. Would love to take a look at the lenses.

April 8, 2013

Here's a still frame from a Nikkor 28-85 f/3.5 (older) lens, used with adapter.. staring into the sunrise, all the way at 85mm http://www.flickr.com/photos/danieldragonfilms/8629678329/

April 8, 2013

I think using larger glass with the metabones on a smaller sensor (for more shallow DOF and faster glass) is a capital idea. +1 for suggesting that.

April 8, 2013

Just use it? Make a ton of great stuff? Get more work? Buy the 4K later?

marklondon

Well... With the original BMCC you get an extra stop of DR... So go shoot. It's a great cam!

Alex Mand

Looks to me that they weren't making good of delivery times due to having other plans - of which I am most happy with !
Get in x

Mitch

Now this is a mini red, not alexa cause the less dynamic range and upper output resolution canvas

daniel

I'm a canon fan, and this is great news for me. Hopefully Canon will react to this by dropping the price of the C100 and C300 at NAB.

Creep

Don't think so.
They seem to live in an alternate universe.

Mr.Floppy

There are still Canon fans out there? Remarkable.

Hummer

Canon NEEDS to get in the compressed RAW game. (Sony should, too) Even professional productions usually prefer ProRes over uncompressed RAW just because it's usually not worth the immense space it needs. With reasonably compressed files like the r3d codec it is affordable for most indie filmers to shoot RAW. Up until now that was the number one reason to go with RED, but with the 4k BMCC on the way I don't see any reason to go with RED, Canon or Sony in the near future until they catch up and drop prices. I really hope the BMCC will be a huge success so other companies will be forced to react.

Heiko

They were resurrected from DNA found trapped in amber.

Curtis

You're still holding on to Canon?
F them.

VINCEGORTHO

MOTHER OF GOD!

Luis Fernando Soní

GOD, i'm so excited! I hope this means they'll release more of the 2.5K camera and get it off of back-order. I want one of them so bad. I feel like we are getting a peak at an ever-lasting gobstopper.

Daniel Austin

Tremendous. This is just straight indie/amateur-filmmaker fantasty fulfilment - It's what everyone's been dreaming of.

The only bitter tinge in all this sweetness, is the DR of the new sensor, with even the modest, reported 12 stop rating being a bit generous it seems (reading between the lines in John Brawley's report). I sure do hope that 4K is not the only good thing about the sensor that might turn out to be too much of a bargain.

Einar

35mm also helps too, correct me if i'm wrong but the original BMCC doesn't have that.

Daniel Austin

s35 is the #1 selling point imho. I wouldn't mind if it just was HD I'd still be ready to pay 1k more than for the original one with MFT-sensor. Global Shutter is a good thing to, I have mixed feelings about wether it's worth sacraficing one stop of DR though (probably more than that after all, I guess)

Heiko

Yes, indeed the (almost) s35 size of the sensor is the biggest selling point, and I too would trade the 4K resolution for a S35 chip in a heartbeat. And that is precisely what I meant to impart: I hope the droning marketing buzz around 4K hasn't made Black Magic sacrifice color rendition, freedom from moiré and other image faults, Dynamic Range and the feel/look of the image on the altar of resolution. A S35 size sensor at 2.5K with a 13+ (actual) stop DR would have been even better than what they have announced, in my mind.

But I'm exited to see their 4K image for sure.

Einar

I gotta say the timing could not have been more perfect, just as the shortcomings of the BMC started to surface, they will surely be drowned out by the new product release, hopefully then can fix some of the significant problems so everybody will be happy.

ryan

I guess I can live with 12 stops. Hopefully BM will add some of the missing crucial features into the firmware. 4K with BM color science should be jaw dropping.

Mark

Just awesome.
I still have my jaw on the floor since this morning (a few hours ago here).

I hope this time they won't have delivery problems.

Mr.Floppy

I need an edit button.

The Pocket is amazing. I would have preferred another design for the body (more akin to the older brother), but that's nothing.

And talking about design, I love they sticked to the BMCC design for the new 4K.
That's personality, and I like it.

Mr.Floppy

There should be fewer delivery issues - please note the 'different sensor family' part of the statement. That's crucial. My info out of Oz is that the 4K does look a bit different to the 2.5k, but still very very good.
To the guy with the 2.5k cam above: your camera is uncompressed, has max dynamic range and is field tested. I'd use the hell out of it for a year, and then see how the 4K is sitting.
Plus, there's a few interesting firmware things on the board for it.

Personally, can't wait to get my hands on the Pocket Cinema Cam. S16? 13 stops? I need to see this!

marklondon

The real devil here is this :

"The spec allows for this be lossless (not lossy) and at 1.5:1 – 1.2-:1"

4K RAW, even at 1.5:1, is gonna be almost unmanageable for all but the biggest indy productions. Ditto 4K ProRes

So close, but still not close enough.

April 8, 2013

Close enough for what? It also shoots HD if your current edit rig can't cope. However, within a year you'll be able to handle that just fine at a reasonable price.
Ask the hundreds of Scarlet/EPIC users who routinely edit in 4K now.

marklondon

Well, the Scarlet and Epic are much more usable because the REDCODE codec allows lossy compression, which is very useable up to 10:1, so less than a 6th the file sizes. Also the on-the-fly debayering built into redcode make on-line workflows possible on relatively low-powered machines. Try editing ProRes 4K on a macbook and you'll find it challenging. Now if Blackmagic can get native support for Cinema DNG into NLE's, with the same fast performance as REDCODE this could be very interesting.

From the site:
Record Times for 4K Resolution using ProRes™
240Gb 36 Mins
480Gb 72 Mins

So about 5-7 times the size of the same REDCODE files, depending on compression.

April 8, 2013

Nearly every REDuser/owner actually earning money with their camera's clamoring for ProRes... now they have to pay some thousands to FINALLY get it. There really isn't a comparison here, as far as acquisition formats go, the camera is set.

April 10, 2013

Kholi

I'm making my money with RED and no one I know is clamoring for ProRes. B/c Premiere Pro and Resolve and FXPX all are using RAW natively, no one wants to shoot prores anymore. (Most people I shoot for are using Premiere, but I don't care whatsoever what people edit with b/c I don't have any involvement in post.)

I'm not paying for equipment for clients to have something that's worse quality with less flexibility. If anyone wants to go old school and is still editing on something like FCP7 (which is all I have, personally), let 'em transcode to get prores.

April 12, 2013

Daniel Mimura

I wonder if this compression and new features will mitigate the dropped frame issue from the 2.5k model. I'd strongly consider the S35 4k model if they've worked out the kinks from the 2.5k model.

Ashley Hakker

I'm pretty sure if you use approved SSDs dropped frames aren't an issue.

Clayton Arnall

Strongly recommend you check out the DSLRnewshooter live interview with BM at 12PST.

marklondon

12 stops is not enough when Alexa is 15+ and Red is going 16+. Hell even the F3 has a lot more DR than this. Unusable. Global shutter is a nice touch though.

MD

Yes, for all of the indie films where people feel the need to rent out Alexas and REDs and get that extra DR, or for universities that hate teaching students and letting them check out equipment on anything less than $15k, 12-stops of dynamic range is real garbage...

April 8, 2013

Look, if you want to use it fine. I'm just saying I wouldn't. I'd be missing too much of whats in front of the camera.

MD

You can tell these RED owners are really feeling the heat today. Gotta justify that $35k+ expense somehow.

Hummer

As one of those Red Owners, heat from what? Arri hasn't stepped up yet. I'm waiting for the site to come up so I can get the upgrade process going. When you're spending 200/day to shoot, if you can't find 2k in your camera line item you're doing something wrong. Hell, half the people on set are being paid more than what it costs to rent an Alexa or a Red. These cameras are so cheap these days, I just don't get the market for a 4k body. But whatever,

MD

Ae you kidding?

That just happened. RED owners should be pretty stoked.

April 8, 2013

Yeah, and the cost the same.

Mr.Floppy

That is a nice try at serious trolling. DR has become like the megapixel race in stills. 12 stops is plenty. The two cameras you're comparing it to cost serious factors more.

marklondon

Sure, its plenty if you don't mind all your skies being blown out.

Look, for most people 12 stops is fine. But if you actually give a shit what your image looks like, its not even close to acceptable.

MD

Ok... True story: We shot an add with a Alexa, the C300 as B cam along the MKIII for some interior shots (car).

Well, the client loved it... bla bla. the best shots for them used on the 10 seconds spot, the MKIII shots! All treated on Resolve...

How about that? 12 stops is plenty for most scenes if you know what you doing and without a fat budget, but now we need 13 stops AND 4K for $4000... That's what we need... Ok.

Well, you can buy an EPIC dragon on a near future I guess with 16 stops or rent it, but won't be that much cheap as you stated to rent one.

And compare the BMCC with 14 stops+ cameras that costs thousands more is just silly...

It's just awesome if they can deliver this camera for that price!!

Alex Mand

MkIII doesn't intercut with those other cameras. Sorry.

MD

In our culture, we call Canon and Sony's reaction to this "freaking out".

In their culture, they call it "seppuku".

April 8, 2013

would it be possible to get faster frame rates at lower resolution? or will the firmware only permit these specs?

very interested in this.

dv

Seems to be firmware limitation

David J. Fulde

Does the Pocket cam have at least one 1/4" audio port?

Frank

No. Mini-jack.

marklondon

Well, I ordered my BMCC last July and still haven't recieved it yet. Maybe I should be more patient and order the 4k BMCC but its clear that it could be a long way out compared to how the BMCC 001 turned out.

I'm not sure if I should be angry or over joyed but I feel a bit funny about all of this. Only because I've been on backorder for almost a year!

Flowers

You best be canceling that backorder right now and level up one!

April 8, 2013

Sadly the 4K should arrive a LOT faster due to the sensor coming from a different supplier.

Way more excited for the Pocket Cinema camera than the 4K

David J. Fulde

Chris

Interesting note!

Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080

Chris

mick

Nope. 1080 only.

marklondon

Also - don't underestimate having the single 6G SDI built in on the 4K cam. That's a very sexy element. :-)
After 4+ years of struggling with 4K since the first RED ONE, viable 4K workflow just inched a touch closer for the majority.

marklondon

Does anyone know - will this actually resolve at 4k, or is it going to downscale better to 3k instead?

April 8, 2013

You mean will it look sharper at 3k? Yes. Will it look good at 4K? Yes. Will it look gorgeous at 1080? Yes.

marklondon

Oh I was just wondering if 4K for this camera will actually mean 4K - I know the images will be stunning regardless, but am curious of how well this will be able to mix with other 4K cameras without some sort of quality compromise if your output is the max resolution.

3840 x 2160 = 16:9 QFHD also 4K HD

Razor

4096 x 2160 = 1.89:1 Standard 4K movie theater projector
4096 x 2304 = 16:9 True 4K resolution

Razor

I just shit a little.

Curtis

It's cool. We all did.

April 8, 2013

Pahahaha! Best comment ever! I think every other camera manufacturer in the world just shit a little too!

Kraig

Yep......I can smell it!

Darren Wolff

Just bought a D5200 and love it compared to the T2I for the small increase in video and the nice increase in photo but man now do I want to sell it and get the pocket cam for video...still would leave me with no photo camera hm...

Austin

Keep the D5200 still is a nice stills camera, best dslr bang for buck on the market, would make a great B cam, it has the best in camera SELECTIVE 3 COLOR Available (sin city effect) of any camera available, and hdmi out, bigger sensor and close to a medium format camera for photography, better lowlight eslewell.

However i feel your pain because that mini black magic camera is looking very sexy with a 4/3 voit 0.95 lens on it , its looking very sexy indeed.

JayClout

Good news is the pocket cam uses Nikon batteries, so getting both has an advantage...

Gabe

Do you think that could be more than a co-incidence? I mean the nikon batteries it uses are from the 1 series- a 1" chip camera...

April 8, 2013

ok, do you guys think by the year 2040, some company will give us 120fps@720p? I m not asking for a 4000$ camera who will shoot raw at 2000 fps! I mean c'mon!! it s 2013 and we re still stuck with 60p@1080, best case scenario!! which is slowmotion for porn..
in the case of the BMCC, we re stuck with the AMAZING 30fps.. I don t know... am i the only one here who desperately needs higher frame rates? They give us raw at an affordable price which is amazing indeed, and i love the idea of being able to shoot RAW for less than 1K!! and i m probably going to buy the mini BMCC.. if someone would have told me two years ago, that you ll be able to shoot raw for less than 1K, i would have laughed..
On the other hand, i m sure we will soon be able to shoot 4K,8K, 16K, even 32K!! for less than 4000$ and won t be able to do a proper slowmotion.. which is really important for editing, and for narrative purpose.
I think the industry has grabbed us by the balls, and i m really pist.. I m sorry about my rant here, but i had high expectations for NAB 2013, and hoped that if a BMCC super 35 camera was announced it would at LEAST have 60fps( or higher), but no.

My rant is over, goodnight

Kimon

Hi - we just shot a music video with a 5 figure budget, where we shot at 120@720 on a GoPro 3. Cut right in.

marklondon

Hi Mark, it s true that Gopro 3 shoots 120fps but you are still limited with the lens, don t you think ? I hate whining.. but Gopro is not good enough.. and i imagine you re not thrilled shooting slowmotion with a Gopro.. then correcting the fish-eye effect later on post..

Kimon

You can shoot Narrow at 720, so no fish eye. Sure I'll take 720 at the speed from someone else, but I was just pointing out that there are 'emergency' options if you don't want to hire an FS700 or EPIC for just one shot.

FS700?

Neill

Sony FS700. Shoots 1080p on 240 fps.

April 8, 2013

Looking at the stats it looks like the pocket cam doesn't have a global shutter so most likely the same sensor thats in the 2.5K version. Does that mean that they've created this to use up all the old sensors as they think most people that haven't got their BMCC yet will switch to the 4K? Will that mean these people will forever be stuck in a camera-less purgatory waiting for the next thing to be released or will they be able to get this thing out reasonably quickly? Oh the questions.

Neill

see below. Its not the same sensor. The 2.5k sensor was slightly larger than S16 - you couldn't use S16 lenses on it. These true S16 and S35 sensors are from a new supplier.

I'm gonna cry : ' )

Tyler

Soooo a new supplier. So isnt the old sensor the main reason why production went so slowly? I mean the old supplier can't keep production on high enough levels? Can it be that with a new supplier, the production could get into international levels at a faster rate?! And that we could see this camera ship at a much larger rate? (excuse my english).

April 8, 2013

They use GoPros all the time on 'The Walking Dead', I would say that production is pretty large - it's all about content.

April 8, 2013

Love the pocket camera. No hot shoe?

Tulio

I was also a little confused, but then realized I'd rather have the 1/4" thread anyway. Plenty of fiddly adapters online to get a coldshoe on there.

alex

A hot shoe for what? You could just put your own cold shoe on using something like this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/561232-REG/Manfrotto_143S_143S_Fla...

Curtis

Actually this one looks a bit more robust - http://woodencamera.corecommerce.com/1-4-20-Hot-Shoe.html

Curtis

What blows me away more than a camera doing 4K for $4K is that a manufacturer that can't deliver a 2.5K camera a year after it's announcement, announces another camera doing 4K for a thousand dollars more and all you guys are acting like this is reality! Based on BM's history of order fulfillment, do you really expect this thing to be available anytime in the near future? If this were any other manufacturer, you people would be tearing them apart like hyenas on an antelope.

dixter

...and you didn't read the announcement closely, or this comments section. The sensors for the two new cameras are coming from a different supplier. This means the primary source of the delay with the first cam has been removed.
CVP, Europe's largest camera distributor have already ordered in the high hundreds on these cams. They don't feel worried for exactly the reason I mention above. The negotiations on this camera release have been ongoing for over 6 months. Barring force majuere, you shouldn't see anything like the same holdup.

marklondon

Yea, I read every comment before I posted mine. We're to believe there will be no issues with the new sensor from the new supplier? Just like everybody assumed there would be no issues with the original supplier. I like BM and all their products but, it's just weird that they can't deliver on their last big announcement and they make a new one... and very few people view this with skepticism. Strange.

dixter

Not strange. At these price points people (and large companies) are willing to take the qualified risk. You seem to have issues with it - fine, don't buy one.
RED used to ask people the same question at 10 times the price. Still found plenty of happy customers.
If the BMDCC isn't right for you, just wait - there are a ton of other cameras coming.

marklondon

You just admitted my point, in a roundabout way... "willing to take a qualified risk". I'd say it is a definite risk. I'm just struck by the ability of some people (a lot of people) to ignore the inability of a company to make good on a promise then, accept as fact, yet another promise. As a photographer, if, for whatever reason, I botch a shoot with an important client but, I promise them I'll do better next time and my client is OK with it, that would be awesome. But, that rarely happens in the real world, if ever.

dixter

I didn't prove your point at all. A qualified risk is very different than just plain risk. Every purchase you ever make, no matter how well respected the product, is a 'qualified risk'. That's rather different than buying totally blind.
And your analogy makes no sense. I hope your better at photography than logic.

marklondon

Well sir, if giving $ to a company, who hasn't delivered on a previous product, for another new product, isn't a risk for you then, I guess we don't have much else to chat about. And sorry you failed to grasp my point.

dixter

dixter. Let us revisit your analogy of the wedding photography situation. You can’t say “if, for whatever reason, I botch a shot” In this situation we know why the shot was botched. It was botched because the individual you were working with interfered with the shot. You and the client are both aware of this. You tell the client that in future endeavors you will no longer be working with that individual. Now you have effectively removed the root cause of the issue. If the client (you in this case) is unwilling to accept this then you move on and work with more reasonable people. However, you shouldn’t be surprised that after a company did exactly what was needed to do to rectify the situation that people are reasonably forgiving. I guess if you had your way any company that ever made a mistake would just go out of business because they are unworthy forgiveness.

Andrew C.

You realize Blackmagic makes a ton of other products besides the BMCC, right? You realize they've been around for ages? They have a great history of order fulfillment. The BMCC is an outlier.

Gabe

hyenas usually just scavenge, so many on a dead antelope

alex

I've seen plenty footage of hyenas attacking live animals, thank you very much!

dixter

Yea but was it 4k footage with a global shutter?

Aaron G

Phantom

dixter

Funny... It's hard to find people in North America that don't have their EF pre-order fulfilled. I ordered March 4th and got it it April 3rd- I waited less than a month for mine.

James

The Official website does say:
"3840 x 2160p23.98,
3840 x 2160p24,
3840 x 2160p25,
3840 x 2160p29.97,
3840 x 2160p30,
1920 x 1080p23.98,
1920 x 1080p24,
1920 x 1080p25,
1920 x 1080p29.97,
1920 x 1080p30,
1920 x 1080p50i,
1920 x 1080p59.94i."

So there's a 60i or 60p (not clear as of now) option!

Nej

Hell yes!! ;) now give us 120fps@720p with firmware/upgrd and i ll be happy to say that this camera is a game changer!!

Kimon

Its not true 4k, for 16:9 only
4K Ultra high definition television 3840 × 2160 1.78:1 8,294,400
Digital Cinema Initiatives 4k (native resolution) 4096 × 2160 1.90:1 8,847,360
DCI 4K (CinemaScope cropped) 4096 × 1714 2.39:1 7,020,544
DCI 4K (flat cropped) 3996 × 2160 1.85:1 8,631,360
Academy 4K (storage format) 3656 × 2664 1.37:1 9,739,584
Full aperture 4K (storage format) 4096 × 3112 1.32:1 12,746,752
Its not true Super 35 format. Effective Sensor Size is
21.12mm x 11.88mm
S 35 size is 24,89mm x 18,66 or minimum 22mm x 9,47 (techniscope)

April 16, 2013

Dzhaba

i own the glidecam and im thinking how cool and less strenuous would the s16 camera be on a steadycam with say the 12mm slr magic lens? Get the quality of the 2 larger cameras without all the weight and fatigue.

April 8, 2013

Dan Chung "blown away" with the image.

marklondon

Even with 12 stops this camera will blow the competition? But wait... What competition? lol

We're talking about a $4000 4K S35 global shutter camera! lol

If you can't do something good with that, sure is not the camera the source of the problem... But well... 13 stops... 12 just can't do it...

Just lol!

Alex Mand

So true. :-)

BlackMagic Pocket Camera is gonna sell like crazy! #BMPC

Cris

The first bmcc is cool, but the form factor is awful! Who is the designer?! I want to punch his nose!
Now 4k, global shutter and compressed raw, amazing, but the same form factor: why?!

What really kill me is to now if it will have the same problems of the first camera: frame dropped even with faster SSD, issue with the tokina zoom, no menu bottoms, only tounch screen, etc...

Andrea

I had the same infinity focus problem with my t2i. At 11mm the tokina lens didn't quite focus to infinity. At 16mm though it was ok. So I guess the lens is the problem in this case, too.

Reinis

I've been saving up for the GH3 as well as the 12-35mm & 35-100mm and the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera will definitely affect my decision-making on what camera body to pick up.

I gotta admit though, when I heard about the news this visual came into my head: http://i46.tinypic.com/acbott.jpg

JMosley3D

I'm in the same situation. To tell you the truth, the GH3 never did manage to excite me, although I waited eagerly for its announcement. Now, the Pocket Camera did shook me up and got me scratching my head. I wonder just how reliable can it be as a system in real life. I will need to do event videography, so that's probably not going to work for me... but for planned shooting, I guess it's unbeatable at its price. Hopefully, the GH5 will have some form of 12bit RAW, and high dynamic range... And not too crazy price.

Dave

Yeah I was thinking about upgrading to a gh3 from my gh2 but this PE is going to get my money lol

Derek

I preordered the Pocket Camera (BMPCC?) yesterday - I'd also been debating about the upgrade to the GH3, but at the end of the day even with improved dynamic range, better low light performance, and 60fps, it's still an 8-bit color DSLR. Might still get one when the price comes down for budget slow motion shooting, but to get the image quality of the orginal BMCC in a $1k package was too good to pass up.

April 9, 2013

I too, saved up for, and (back) ordered the GH3. When this announcement was made, I briefly considered changing my order to that pocket cam. But you know what? I just don’t know when it really comes out. I decided to keep my GH3 preorder, and also order the pocket cam. I mean at $1000, there’s no way I can’t come up with that by July, through my GH3 music video jobs. Raw for 1K?? Didn’t think to see this for years. Just can’t wait! Hope that July date is firm.

April 11, 2013

Ok, I'm confused. I was under the impression the pocket camera did both ProRes and RAW. I just watched the Dan Chung interview with BM and the guy said it's not a RAW camera as the data rate would just be too much for the SD media to handle (which totally makes sense). Which one is it?

Honestly I'm cool with just ProRes, but would like to know either way.

Scott

That's what I've found on the official website:
"Shooting Resolutions
Lossless CinemaDNG RAW and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 1920 x 1080"

Ruslan Randzhabar

Yeah, seems clear except for the contradictory statement made by the BM rep on the NAB floor!

Scott

It clearly says lossless cinemaDNG RAW on the specs on the Blackmagic website, and John Brawley said it was as well. The guy in the interview seemed unsure about a few things, maybe even he only found out about it at 9.00am that morning. Conflicting information is frustrating, it would be great to get that cleared up.

Neill

The guy on the shop floor must have got it wrong, even the NAB email from Grant Petty says it records cinemaDNG RAW

Neill

Right, it will record cinemaDNG RAW but not until a firmware upgrade later in the year. It will ship with only prores recording initially. Sounds a bit like how long's a piece of string like the release date of the original BMCC. I would have thought that the same compressed cinemaDNG will also be implemented in the BMCC as well making that camera's RAW more manageable.

Neill

THIS MINI CAM is and will be what the iphone was for cellphones, not that innovative because honestly any major camera factor could have "beeeeeeeen" made this camera, but a nice package indeed, definitely in line with this nice lil professional toy and should hold alot of us over until they fix the SSD KINKS and problems of the brother and sister bigger cams.

JayClout

POCKET CAM AND EVF SOLUTIONS, ANYBODY ?

JayClout

Would this lens "Panasonic 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 OIS Video Optimized Micro Four Thirds" look any good on the Pocket cam? Im looking for a good budget set up with a camera like this pocket cam on a super low budget for great looking web series delivery. I love primes but the reviews seemed pretty good, if the camera can actually drive the autofocus etc.

Dovahkiin

The active mount means you'll be able to control the focus, aperture, etc from the camera. The sensor is a S16 size so less sensitive to light than you may be used to with a APS-C or full frame DSLR. Depending on your needs and intended setup you may want to opt for a faster lens to compensate for the lower light sensitivity/deeper DOF.

Scott

Awesome, thanks a lot, Im leaning towards the shorter Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 now that Ive been looking because I cant imagine ever needing the 140mm with the s16 crop factor anyway, that kind of zoom seems kind of ridiculous for narrative work. This one looks pretty fast and steady and wont be so long on the baby sized body of the pocket cam.

Dovahkiin

Yeah I have the 12-35, it's a great all-rounder lens and the IS will come in handy for handheld shooting. 35mm will equate to about a 94-95mm full frame equivalent. I fast prime like a 1.2 or 1.4 would be a nice addition for lower light situations.

Scott

Sure. Its an active mount.

marklondon

Personally, I don't like using that lens for anything other than ENG style run and gun shooting, especially with the aperture flux as you change focal lengths. I agree with Scott - pick up something faster.

April 8, 2013

Ive got the legendary Tokina 11 to 16 on a nikon mount. Is that still a good lens on an adapter to Micro four thirds or does it lose something in the adaptor?

Dovahkiin

Haven't used it myself - the Nikon mount is manual aperture, right?

April 8, 2013

tears are falling down my face

francis

RIP Canon
RIP Digital Bolex

john jeffreys

Yeah, poor Digital Bolex guys.

April 8, 2013

I think there is room in the marketplace for what digital bolex are putting out. Also given the custom build, form factor, and direct to manufacturer communication with Joe and Elle I think they're going to be fine. I personally would still prefer a digital bolex to the Black Magic cameras for the C mount and the form factor. Not to say I'm not impressed with Black Magic, just my personal preference. I want to use my Switars! I don't think that just because one kind of camera exists it means another has to die. If that were true Nikon and Canon wouldn't share 50% of the market.

April 8, 2013

You can use c-mount lenses on MFT via an adapter.

Gabe

Sure, the Pocket camera doesn't mean the D16 can't exist, but personally I was considering it and now that Blackmagic made this announcement I'm no longer interested. The only reason I'd consider it again is the lack of rolling shutter, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to return to vertical light smearing...

April 8, 2013

So pocket cinema will only be M4/3 mount?

vinceGortho

Who else would love to see a super 35, EF mount version of the pocket cinema camera in the future? I know I would!

mick

Did I miss this? What's the native ISO?

Rob