April 5, 2013

Everyone is Now a Steadicam Operator with MōVi, a Gyro-Stabilized Handheld Camera Gimbal

Speaking of gyro-stabilizers, it's very rare that I look at a demo video of new gear with my jaw all the way on the floor, but after watching one for the new handheld stabilizing system called the MōVi, I simply couldn't help myself. Designed by Freefly Systems, based in Seattle, the MōVi utilizes gyro stabilization and accelerometer technology that, when seen in action, seems less like a mechanism and more like magic. Think of it this way: it's basically like your handheld rig is now a Steadicam, and pretty much anyone can learn to use it in minutes and get footage that normally would have required years of experience. Sound scary and wonderful? Read on for more.

Vincent Laforet, who was instrumental in the DSLR revolution, had been teasing this device early in the week, and now we've got the details. The term revolutionary gets thrown out a lot, but here it applies more to the usage rather than the tool (since the tech itself isn't really new, just smaller). The MōVi is a "digital 3-axis gyro-stabilized handheld camera gimbal." This thing weighs less than 3.5 pounds and is completely silent. No apparatus is required to operate it, but an additional gimbal operator with a joystick is available if you wish to capture certain camera effects. The MōVi allows you to run, jump, slide, skip, and probably double backflip without the fear of an unsteady camera or shaky image.

Just to hit the implication home: it is lightweight, silent, and versatile enough to capture shots that usually require a dolly, tripod, or other heavy and burdensome stabilizers that requires herculean strength to operate (score one for me). Here's a video demonstrating how the MōVi works. Come on back after you put your jaws back in place:

Check out these BTS videos giving you a sense of just how freely the operator can move and still get smooth footage:

Of course, while affordable for some people means something totally different for others, it's still going to be a higher end piece of gear for the time being. Straight from Vincent on pricing and model information:

Another big factor:  It will be affordable – the initial mid-level (in terms of weight support) MōVI M10 will sell for approx $15K and is already under production.   The second, smaller version, the M5 that will be on sale at some point in the near future (once the production capacity is in full swing) will be sold for a price point under $7,500.    If you consider how much we spend on handheld rigs, sliders, jibs (let alone Glidecams/Steadicams etc.) – the price of this device quickly becomes a no-brainer…

The first unit that is being released – the M10 – supports a camera up 10 pounds with accessories.  That equates to a DSLR with a lot of accessories or a bare Epic and prime lens.  We’ve been using the Epic and the Canon primes and Zeiss CP.2 lenses all week on a commercial without a hitch.   A future version the M20 is slated to support an Alexa or Epic package w/ zoom, price and date TBD.   The guys behind this work with Epics and Alexas on a regular basis and are cinema guys.

Many of you may only be renting this kind of gear for some time, but there is no question this is going to be the next big thing. Quiet gyro-stabilizers that can handle all sorts of cameras and configurations means being able to pull off shots that would have normally taken a huge team of professionals. Of course, if you're using a large sensor camera, you still have the issue of focus, but things are moving fast in that regard, and wireless follow focus and wireless monitoring are both coming down in price all the time. These sorts of developments can help push the industry forward, and I guarantee we'll be seeing movies shot in a way that we've never seen before.

Vincent also posted this video showing their stabilizer on an RC copter:

What do you guys think? Is the future of the full-time Steadicam operator in jeopardy thanks to rigs like this?

Links:

I could do all the shots in the video with my 180$ flycam, so why spend 7,500$?

Carlos

If you can hold a horizon like that while running and dodging then your skill is worth that much per day!

Put this on a steadicam and never lay dolly track again.

Brett

Here's 2.5 year old footage of the $500 Skyler Minicam running with parkour folk.

Maybe 10% less steady than the Movi for 8% of the price. A well balanced $180 flycam will probably do just as well for 3% of the Movi price. Fair trade-off for indie filmmakers.

The Movi is way overpriced for only being able to handle <10lb payload.

John L

I highly doubt it. But if you are that awesome...then congrats...

Different people, different definitions of 'affordable' o_0

Jake

Yeah....and the 17k version cant even handle a rigged cinema cam. So spend 17k just to fly a dslr? The 'Segway-revolution' (Steve Jobs) never happened partly because they were simply too expensive.

hansd

This is almost too good in a sense that it makes handheld look perfect, and personally I like to see some movement or bouncing. Still a nice invention and definitely can be helpful in a lot of situations.

Rob

Right, but it's replicating a Steadicam look, which it does almost perfectly for many of the shots. It looks perfectly smooth when they aren't running, plus there is the possibility of stabilizing the footage even more in post.

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

The website claims it has "user adjustable shaky cam". That could mean it keeps varying degrees of the handheld jitters.

Brian

I hate bouncy - especially when it is contrived. Total bounce annihilation is a good thing. Bring it.

Terence Kearns

Hey Guys,

Timur Civan here. I was the DP on this shoot. Freefly was telling me about some of their upcoming tech thats already incorporated into the MOVI. You can program it to include a bit of bob and weave, and to dampen, but not completely remove hand held motion. Its all user selectable.

April 5, 2013

So honestly, if there's a rigged Epic, or even an Alexa hanging on that thing - how much fun is it holding it in eye-hight in front of you?
I see it being the right direction but it doesn't seem very usable for serious cinema cameras without some sort of carrying support.

Hansd

I can't imagine this would replace the cinema steadicam operator for the sheer acknowledgment that a rigged-out camera on set could weigh 50-70 pounds depending on the camera, lens, and accessories. However, it compliments the steadicam in the nature of running through tighter / smaller environments and can supplement a stripped down camera. Nonetheless, I find it to be very exciting

April 5, 2013

The BTS really got me. Incredible stuff! I can only imagine what comes next when this gets some further development!

Lukas

That is some seriously amazing tech. I'm not a huge fan of steadicam in terms of look and limitations, but if I needed a flying/floating type of shot, this tool would be a no brainier in my eyes.

Agent55

This is so fucking cool. You can save so much time shooting with this thing, and time is money. Give it a year and there will be 3-5 competitors, it will end up costing around 2.500$ a year from now (or two). This will help to establish SLR and RED even more. No way to use this with a normal film camera. And in a way, it's genius, because the shaking and wobbling of the SLR's was the real big problem often - with this it's gone.
You can get a Red + this + gear all together for like 50.000$ and shoot a movie looking like a big budget production... Unbelievable...

April 5, 2013

Doesn't look so simple..looks like you need 3 people to coordinate it.
Just like for crane work. The thing is impressive but it's not magic.
Otherwise we could just throw out all of the tripods and heads.

sammy

Vincent said it can be operated by one man in his blog post.

April 5, 2013

One man can only move it, you also need someone to point it

Andrey Valentsov

And to pull focus

hansd

I'm sure you can do it solo, especially with better autofocus cameras and lenses. On a real indie set it doesn't matter, you will get even better results working together with real flesh&blood focus puller and joystick operator. Nice.

Natt

There is a version thats "locked" where the operator can then point it at his will, think stabilized Fig rig.

You always need a first when using any kind of camera suport system.

April 5, 2013

Do a lot of running with cranes and tripods, do you?

Brian

I think you're on to something there!

Cameron Savage

Like Vincent states: "Working in cinema is about working with other people". It takes 3 people to fully operate this thing. Make some friends.

Christian Anderson

Yeah, like Vinent works in cinema...

burt

Two things: I agree that we'll see cheap versions sooner rather than later. And I didn't realize that the only difference between big and small productions was a Steadicam shot.
Personally I loathe Steadicams - only use that floating feel on commercials or where I'm forced to. Prefer real, well operated, non-stabilized handheld.

Marklondon

Agreed. This is not a game changer. Its another expensive toy

vinceGortho

Someone is jelly

Natt

I think this is just the beginning for the technology. This early adopter stuff will finance the bigger rigs.

I can see this being really effective tech on mobile rigs like trucks and cars. Imagine a GOPRO sized version of this you could hang off a helmet or handlebars, or a boom version on a duneybuggy shooting the Dakar races.

I do wonder how reliable the tech is. I can take my glidecams into salt water marine environments and not work about wrecking a $15K piece of gear. Mud etc would also seem ot be an issue with all the exposed wire. I am really curious to see how it handles not so pleasant weather and air conditions.

Wow. That is incredible.

I can only hope we get some cheaper imitations up to the same quality - $15k seems incredibly steep

Fresno Bob

I can't believe some of the negative comments here. No, it's not $500 and it's not perfect for everything... but like the positive comments here point out, this is a really great step forward, and I'm interested where this tech goes in the next few years.

David S.

Totally agree, this is incredible, especially that size! I think the most impressive shot was going through the hoop hanging from the ceiling.

Casey Orion

If you travel a lot with gear, this is the ideal companion that replaces the need to bring a slider, monopod and glidecam...

Would the M5 version be capable of handling a C100 or C300?

April 5, 2013

Amazing stuff. really high-end cinematography possible with this gear. too expensive for dlsr shooters...

Gokce

Rental, rental and rental.

Agent55

Impressed by the lack of wobble in camera motion when running around those corners. Excited by this gear for sure.

Lane

I`m a Steadicam fanatic since I first saw it when I was 12 y o - but the obscene weight and bulkiness always was a big issue - now this thing is totally different, it`s actually the "magical" device Garrett Brown, the Steadicam inventor was speaking about that is going to affect the role of the Steadicam. I don`t think it`s a "threat", but kind of an extension - just dreaming what happens when this thing get`s coupled with a steadicam arm+vest or hanging from an easyrig...

Mariano

Start doing your bicep curls. Running around handholding an Epic rig won't be light with this either.

pat

- that`s why I said steadicam arm/easyrig plus this thingy, you can`t hold it very long, even with a dslr the total weight will add to about 10 pounds easily

Mariano

This an incredible piece of gear, no question about it. I however feel a little mislead when vincent called it a "game changer" (sort of like the MKII was). I however cannot see that, this cost more than any of the gear that i own it cost more than any of my lenses or my mk 3. The whole thing with the mark 2 was that it was affordable meaning that ANYONE could save up for a year or two and buy the camera. With Movi i fail to see that its just NOT affordable and if any of you find it affordable please buy me one because 7k is not something a lot of us can afford for one piece of gear.

edry

It's a game changer - because other companies will copy it and it will get cheaper. 5 years ago I would have paid a Steadicam operator (with a 20k + rig) a bucketload day rate for shots that someone on this rig could do better, quicker & cheaper.

April 5, 2013

I mean...you'll have to pay the op/rig owner, focus puller, and whoever is pointing the camera remotely instead...

pat

Essentially you have one arm free - so I'm sure a system will be developed to pan and tilt as you go. And focusing will be the same as for solo steadi operators - shut the iris down or keep your subject within a focus range. Will be totally useable for a 1 man crew.

April 5, 2013

It's a game-changer because its an entirely new category of product. Like the MK2 the tech will get smaller and better and eventually into the hands of anybody.

Carlos D

This is the best / most exciting piece of equipment that I have seen in a long long time. Can't wait to shoot on it!

April 5, 2013

One advantage is its smaller than a pro rig so there are possibilities to work in tighter areas where it could be difficult/impossible to operate a steadicam. I'm curios about set-up and balance.

Chris larsen

I don't think this will replace steadicam, but it will be a great rig to have for tight spaces. I love the spiral staircase shot.

pat

Let the competition start and when the price can fit into my pocket I shall add this baby to my one'man'band scheme.

Raoni Franco

With this system, the gimbal operator needs to be trained in body control. Similar to dance jazz running and such. Such an amazing invention!

Chris

That rollerblade shot was straight up Ballsy.

Chris H

Well, I'm really exited.

This is thing looks like a copter gimbal, which was invented not today and not yesterday. With a small DIY you can transform any helicopter gimbal to simular project and it will cost you less that 1000 USD.

This thing will not replace dolly or slider or crane, it's much closer to steadycam system. Dolly and crane let your actors rehearse without changing your movement. Dolly and crane give you very mechanic movement, while this system and steadycam let you improvise. This are very different movements and they not always are able to replace each other.

The main problem with this system is that you need someone to pan/tilt your camera (without control gimbal aways keeps a camera pointed at fixed direction) while with steadycam you can stabilize and direct your camera yourself. Hope it will be possible to remove this limitation with future software.

Andrey Valentsov

so i was watching the videos and was like hmm this kinda looks familiar so when i saw the behind the scenes i definitely what was going on because i have used a similar setup...on our hexacopter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZzLVS6wB10&list=UUR2YDivy274shU-BM452a_w... i was actually planing on mounting the gyro head on my stedicam arm but now im jus gonna mount it on a dslr rig and save myself $10k ;)

April 5, 2013

haha true ill just grab my cuadcopter by the legs!

sebastian roland

I don't know what all of these comments about needing a second op to pan + tilt are about. If you drive your car with your knee, I'm sure you could manage something :p

April 5, 2013

Has no one here operated a Steadicam before? One of the main reasons for the arm & vest is to redistribute the weight of the payload onto your hips/legs and off your arms, so that you can actually use your arms to focus on operating. The Movi will work fine for smaller payloads, but rig an Alexa with wireless FF, rods, matte-box, batteries & and cinema lens and you're looking at 20+ pounds. The weight of the MV15 will probably be 8+ lbs, so you're telling me that you're going to hold out 28 pounds in front of you with two arms for a 10 hour shoot? Not going to be a fun day. Maybe pair this up with an Easy Rig or something along those lines, but then you've possibly lost a bit of the mobility/slimness of the whole thing.

It's a cool piece of gear, but priced way too high at the moment. Most people I know shooting <10lb payloads aren't making the kind of money to justify a $15k piece of support gear. Either the price has to come down or they have to come up for a support solution to the 10+ pound payload.

And the rollerblade shot was... risky. It's great that he pulled off the shot but he was carrying $30k worth of gear on rollerblades. If your insurance is cool with that, go for it.

John

For a good skater street skates are so low to the ground that it's as safe as running.

And couple the MoVi with an Easyrig or similar and it will put the weight back onto your hips.

April 5, 2013

I think it's priced right. It's straight up a pro piece of gear. I think it'd be a good piece to have for a normal steadicam op for intricate moves in tight spaces. I don't think it is a game changer, but a great tool for those who already do steadicam work.

pat

Call me cheap,

but im going to wait for the indian or chinese knockoff to even consider buying it.
in the meantime, Rental Rental Rental

April 5, 2013

I'm also trying to understand the difference between this and a copter gimbal. Maybe it's a solution to allow the operator to easily control the direction the camera is pointing in? Here's an example of a copter gimbal being used handheld:

Shenan

ach you're way ahead of me sir! It seems like this is basically a copter with its wings clipped right?! If so it should be cheaper that a copter right?! If this video had been posted on the first of April I would have thought the 15k price tag is a joke.

That is cool!

Marklondon

Who said there was a difference? I'm sure it's based on the same technology but with an additional control for pan and tilt.

Christian Anderson

We're pointing out that, if there's no difference and only the pan and tilt are added, the price shouldn't be so steep. That's all

1. Amazing!

2. Copters(for flying dslrs etc) that have been in the market for quite a while now utilize gyros for the smooth motion and I think it's ok to say there's a similarity in the way those gyros in the copters do their stabilization compared to the movi. If this is so then I'm inclined to believe that this or another device that can immitate it will definitely be waaaay cheaper in the not so distant future.

April 5, 2013

I agree. Please note: Vincent doesn't get out much. He works in a very specific bubble.

Marklondon

He certainly doesn't work in cinema

burt

you can make one for less than a grand if you know what you r doing .

sebastian roland

I'd change the post title to "Everyone (who has 15k and wants to spend them in a steadycam) is now..."

Premini

It's a cool device but I can't believe these guys don't have a strap connected to either the camera or rig in case they drop the system. Not smart.

April 5, 2013

Just want to share with people here that this is NOT REVOLUTIONARY at all. As many has pointed out, it is almost like using the Zenmuse 15 but mounted on a rig. The shot/take can't be done with big cameras anyway.

And in case no one have seen this type or similar technology (but with higher precision and cost way, way, way more), please check out this link:

Check And do click on the "River Island William Tempest Fashion Film" to get a better idea what a REAL REVOLUTIONARY means. Here is the vimeo link:

April 5, 2013

Still picking my jaw up off the floor.

We are gonna see a lot of incredible stuff soon...

Terence Kearns

Connect that with an Easyrig and work for hours....yea?

Darren Orange

I have to call my banker...

jd holloway

I thought the same thing. This thing + easyrig could really make some interesting results.

David S.

Why do so many assume that all equipment is priced to be owned and not rented? The only things that I personally try to own are the BARE essentials - well-rounded camera, sticks, cards, batteries, etc. This thing is a rental dream, if it performs like we see here - for specific shots, not every time you go out and shoot for fun.

David S.

Didn't mean to put that comment here, but w/e.

David S.

IDK, that whole movie was shot with it. And all of Children of Men was handheld, even the dialogue scenes.

brett

Just the thing for my MarZpac ... !

April 5, 2013

This reaffirms my belief that the margin between amateur and professional technology is becoming that much more narrow, while the level and appreciation for professional skills still remain the same. Specifically you have people complaining this costs too much, can't be operated by yourself without an AC, etc. Holy hell, people, you need a 1st AC, you need to know how to move with a camera. I find it shocking that people on this website expect professional tools to cost bargain bin prices. Even systems like RED, and the ALEXA are what I'd call bargain bin, as compared to 10 years ago when crappy 480P systems like the Varicam were well past the 100K mark in cost. There's an expectation that your 2500 dollar Mk3 is comparable to an Alexa or RED, when it's just not. And in this case a system like this should be a do-it-all product that's affordable to someone who thinks a DSLR constitutes a professional film camera. It's just not. What it is however is an amazing compliment to a true steadicam. Something you can pack into a pelican case, throw an Epic on, not have to spend half an hour balancing on a stand, and then kit up in a complete vest. I hate to use the phrase, but this is by very definition a disruptive technology. And at 15K, it's a bargain for those of us who make a living this way.

Isaac

I think the 'problem' is that Laforet advertised this device as a 'gamechanger just like the 5DmkII was'.
The 5D was a gamechanger because it was accessable and affordable to most people while this thing really isn't.

Hansd

for a rental, it's a godsend - that is, if they can sell them to rental houses.

alex

15K for a pure handheld system is too much IMO. Holding 10lbs like this extended in front of the operator by their forearms is going to lead to massive shoulder and lower back fatigue. Sentiments regarding this as a good deal based on the cost of gear from 5 years ago are meaningless. We are in the now, and the production market is changing at near breakneck speeds. I suspect if priced at 5K, demand would outstrip production supply. 7 to 8k may be the most profitable point. Unfortunately, both for would-be-buyers and freefly, an annual ROI rate of 35-50% was most likely determined when the production/sales/etc budgets were made and thus the sale price will be inflated in an attempt to get a higher return on investment then what the market can bare. The market will of course correct for that, and w/in 2 years I suspect we will see devices like these ranging from $500 low precision models that are still great for sub 1K DSLR/small camera work, to 5k high precision professional models suitable for RED, Arri, Sony, etc productions. Thanks

Dan

For a rental you can get anything though

vinceGortho

Yeah? How much does it cost to rent a steady cam op?

Gabe

around 600/day last time i checked

john jeffreys

Most master primes and other high end lenses are unaffordable to anyone but rental houses. That's why we rent. No one is saying you have to buy this. Steadicam a aren't cheap as well, why are people bitching about this cost when a steadicam rig isn't exactly budget.

Isaac

I agree with Alex. I also agree it's not necessarily a "game changer" as it's still pretty pricer for the no budget type. That's because this is highly advanced technology and having this filmmaking tool is a great advantage. I think it's simply amazing for a shoot that fits it into its own situation. Like any filmmaking tool. If you are looking to do a long tracking shot in a tight space or a complicated tracking shot that goes through small areas, price aside, this would be preferable over a steadicam. Otherwise, you'd get your trusted steadicam operator and crank the shots out perfectly smooth. If price is a factor, now we have an alternate that will get us the opportunity to crank the shots out pretty darn smooth.

Barret

Cool device. I recall that the people behind the Blackbird Stabilizer are working on similar technology.

mike_tee_vee

That taxi shot was awesome.

April 5, 2013

I agree about the taxi shot. And the best part is that rollerblades are cheap.

April 6, 2013

MINE!!!

April 5, 2013

$15K and $7.5K is too expensive. A stabilizer shouldn't be the cost of a camera.

April 5, 2013

You obviously haven't looked at lenses or dollies. This is a bargain.

Isaac

You're absolutely right. I may not see the value in a stabilizer for $15K. To me this is overpriced and I'd rather buy a lens with that, which won't devalue the way a stabilizer might.

April 5, 2013

Heres the thing, yes, its a handheld device... But it does the job of a Dolley, Stedicam (for most things and alot that a stedi cant do), hand held rig..... its not replacing a hand held rig, its replacing a few things. Once you see how easy it is to work with, your imagination runs wild...

April 5, 2013

This definitely changes the game. And that Epic/Scarlet barebones can be used with the M10 is a great deal.

That's a knee slapper!

alex

I was going to say that this is going to shake things up, but then realized that it's going to do the exact opposite. This looks like an incredible leap forward, especially if they create a vest so you can self direct the camera with ease (that's the real power of current steadicam)

April 5, 2013

Speaking of self-directing, you could theoretically add one of these:

and just turn your head to look at your subject!

April 6, 2013

Amazing technology. This can bring some fantastic shots to fruition.

Holy Crap! I want!

April 5, 2013

Awesome now I just have to learn how to build one of my own!

sebastian roland

you don't even have to build it; just find one meant for a quadrocopter, pay 1k and reappropriate it.

Thanks for the link.

Tom

You're welcome just be sure to check it utilizes brushless gimbal

April 5, 2013

Human becomes the meat-dolly.

jd holloway

Shut up and take my money!

April 5, 2013

this is the same tecnology used in quadcoper camera gimbals you can put together one of this for less than one thousand usd if you make it yourself!

sebastian roland

And how exactly would one go about doing that?

April 5, 2013

That's what I like to hear. Any links you would care to post to support your statement? I love DIY projects.

CC

just search multicopter gimbals or brushless gimbals you will need to build a rig with three servos and a controller board all this things you can get on line , do a search on diy brushless gimbals on youtube i think there are videos , also go to the rcgroups forums for more info , hope it helpsyou..!

sebastian roland

As always we get into an upside down argument about price. On one hand hand we have folks saying it cost too much and on the other hand you have people saying it's a bargain when you look at the cost of primes and dollies. LOL...thats the problem....just cause a dolly or a prime cost twice as much as the camera doesn't make it right. We all know that anything in this field is completely way over priced. Case in point: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/836419-REG/Cinevate_Inc_CIPCPC0000...

I can buy a lawn mower for that much that is self propelled and has all kinds of intricate parts. It's a joke what companies price this stuff at!!!

It's like paying $50 for a T shirt....it's lol ignorant!

marky mark

Sorry, but it sounds like you're the one ignorant...of supply and demand. And also R&D. Way more people buy lawn mowers than camera rigs. Costs such as R&D can be covered by a lower unit price if enough units are shipped. If not, then the unit needs to be priced higher.

Gabe

You're right to a certain degree... but filmmaking gear is still way over priced generally. I really don't think much R&D went into the Cinevate example he gave as well... my dog could have designed that.

Also for this product the tech already existed... basically they're just adding handles so an existing production.

Gimbals have been used in other industries for years and years, just because it's new tech to the film industry dosen't mean it suddenly costs way more to make.

Ali

Thank you!

marky mark

I can't resist...this what you can get for the cost of that steadicam

Please explain how on earth they can justify the price vs all the technology that went into building a PATHFINDER....seriously...back that up..I'm begging you!!!

marky mark

I'm no economist, but it probably has something to do with the fact that Nissan will probably sell more Pathfinders in California and Texas than Freefly will sell Movi's period. Also, that's a used Pathfinder and was probably $30K when it was new.

Q: Who buys an 18K HMI?
A: The people you rent it from.

Brian

You can still buy a brand new car for that much.....and no the demand for a $15,000 handheld stabilizer won't be there. If Canon priced the T2i that much....there would not have been a waiting list for it either. The T2i did a hell of alot more than just stop jiggle.

marky mark

I'm not saying it SHOULD cost $15K. I'm just saying your arguments for why it shouldn't are unbelievably flawed.

Brian

Okay...my examples are probably bad analogies....I'll give you that. The main thing is we agree this is overpriced or SHOULDN'T cost this much. Don't think for a minute FREEFLY SYSTEMS arent reading the feedback here. If they saw people loved and wanted this product but the price point was way out of line....they would consider coming down on it. The demand for this is huge..the price point isn't. Rental houses aren't gonna buy 50 of these at a time. How many rental houses vs filmmakers who would want to own this? Come in at a price point that makes it a must have. Kinda like Philip Bloom said about the BLACK MAGIC....there are tons of quirks or cons about it but you get a camera that shoots RAW for $3k....thats why people are so excited and ready to buy. It's offering something that is in high demand at price people can afford.

marky mark

Wait a minute. I never said it shouldn't cost $15K, either. Alls I'm sayin' is it costs what it costs and you can either afford it or you can't. Will there be less expensive versions? Probably. However, how many inexpensive Steadicam-like rigs are out there that will support a camera that weighs as much as an Epic w/lens and accessories, let alone an Alexa? If all you have to do is make a cheap version and people will come-a-runnin', where are all the $500 Steadicam knockoffs? Would you really trust $60K worth of gear on one of these? There are numerous reasons for why some gear costs an arm and leg and build quality, performance, service and longevity are just a few.

Brian

So one minute your saying "I'm not saying it SHOULD cost $15K." then the next post your saying..."I'm not saying it shouldn't." You sound like you work for them. Either way......it's my opinion this is way over priced and I backed it up with a nich market example with the BLACK MAGIC . They can make that for $3K then they can make this for the same price.

marky mark

What I'm saying is don't put words in my mouth. I was clarifying that I wasn't defending the price nor was I condemning it. They charged as they saw fit. I don't care one way or another. You sound like someone who wants one so badly you can taste it but it's out of your price range so you're lashing out. The ironic part is you said you couldn't afford it even if it was $3K so I don't know where the outrage is coming from.

It's simple. Buy, build or rent the stuff you can afford. Use your ingenuity for the rest. If you're truly beside yourself and want to lead a crusade, start a company that builds high-end film equipment that even high school kids with summer jobs can afford and let us know how that turns out. Otherwise, prepare to be disappointed at every turn.

Brian

The outrage is the continued absurd price range companies charge for the gear. Thats all. I am sure I am not the only one that feels this way.

marky mark

Film makers are idiots. They will pay $499 for something that outside of film making would only cost $69. The manufacturers know this.

AMEN my friend!!!!

marky mark

Looks like alot more materials and design went into this than the FIG RIG and it's more than 3 times cheaper. http://www.protuninglab.com/sw-9410032-bkr.html?utm_source=googlepepla&u...

marky mark

We are in a time when a ringtone for a song cost twice as much as the actual song. You can't help but laugh!!!

marky mark

Looks like a smilar concept to the Cineron

April 5, 2013

needless to say this is amazing.

biagio

Backing up the price by saying it is taking the place of a dolly and a hand held rig and a steadicam is like saying DISNEY WORLD should charge triple because of what it cost to run the place.

BTW...CHANGING THE GAME is what Canon did with the DSLR. The best thing about it is....they didn't rape us in the process!!!!!!

Pages