April 3, 2013

Behold Our New No Film School Logo! Plus We're Partnering with FreshDV to Best Cover NAB

Behold our new logo! While our complete site redesign is still a ways off, we're premiering this new logo, very cleanly designed by David Ceraso, right away on our present site. Read on for some further pontification, as well as some news on our coverage of this year's installment of the world's largest film/video tradeshow, NAB.

This may go without explaining, but the new logo picks up on this:

And this:

While also being recognizable and distinctive in its own right.

For posterity's sake, here's what the old "logo" looked like -- when I was designing the site, I never got around to creating a proper logo and so we've been stuck without a real logo for years:

Good riddance!

FreshDV Partnership

Next week is the year's biggest film/video tradeshow, NAB, and NFS editor Joe Marine and I will be there in person. Stop by and say "hi!" if you spot us. We'll be partnering with our friends at FreshDV for video coverage of the show this year, as they have been doing a great job for many a NAB. Our latest coverage of this year's show will always be available with this tag, which we'll publicize more during the show (April 7-11). We're excited to be bringing you this year's coverage from the show floor -- I think there will be some pretty significant stuff showing up for filmmakers this year.

Like our new logo? Hate it? Let us know...

Oh, and now that we have an actual logo, you know what we have to figure out next... business cards!

Nice

April 3, 2013

logic combination, maybe to many colors

April 3, 2013

Looks good! I'm gonna miss that nice Jane Austen font, though. ;)

Jake

I do like the all-lowercase spelling, for I am lazy.

I assume you'll be changing the masthead too? It's always looked great but it doesn't match the new logo.

Sam

Everything will be changing -- agreed that the old and new don't match, but the old is... on the way out.

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

nice logo. i like clean, crisp logos. and pastels. and not having to use capitals. lookin forward to seeing the new site layout!

April 3, 2013

As a designer who has done a few identities, here's a bit of constructive feedback:

I liked the old "logo" with the yellow no and script font, just because it differentiates from the majority of logos as well as feels more DIY. It's rounded friendly form fit well together with the "we're all here for the same reason..."-attitude about learning.

The choice of font on the new one is dull, mainstream, standard, corporate. Highlighting "film" instead of "no" however, is a brilliant improvement, since that's what this site is all about (highlighting "no" makes no sense).

I'm split on the symbol. It's an advantage that it can be used as a tiny 16x16px tab/bookmark icon. The idea of combining the countdown and color bar is a good idea. Yet it feels like a sketch/idea, not a final design: the strong contrast between colors and the arrow shape (human eyes & brains tend to follow lines that converge into a point, even more with stronger contrast) obtained by 90 degree circle cuts makes your eyes go straight onto the symbol - and forget all about the text part of the logotype. In composition for art & design, triangular shapes / converging lines are usually used by purpose to steer where the observer should watch.

A logo on a website is usually not where you want to steer the user too much, you want the user to go to the content. And as I said earlier - the idea of the symbol is not a bad one. It is more about how to rework it (scale, shapes, contrast, color) so it doesn't take *all* the attention.

April 3, 2013

Concur... I do a ton of design work too and this looks more like a work-in-progress that still needs a few more passes to finalize.

I think a better idea would have been to present 3 concepts and have all your readers vote - cheesy I know but I doubt you would have ended up with this "new" logo which frankly, kinda sucks.

Lance Bachelder

When I first looked at the logo, it hadn't been updated in the header of the site yet.

At the current size and with the generous amount of spacing that it has in the header right now - the logotype symbol works better, as in it doesn't steal all attention. At larger sizes the symbol screams for attention, but as implemented now it's more of a focal point for the eyes to rest at, communicating "site, header & navigation starts here" while identifying what site you're on. Beware of the attention screaming symbol if your new site has the new kind of designs with *large* logos - like this it works just fine :)

Also, I'm surprised that there's so many that can't give constructive critique/feedback, but just complain.

April 4, 2013

Also, I've liked the old header background, just because it communicates: "keep it clean? simple? rules? - fuck you, I'll do it my way" with the overload of shapes & styles :)

April 3, 2013

Haha, yes I appreciate that... was definitely intentional.

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

In Nigeria, when you really someone you call him "My Guy". so my guy, i liked the old logo better.

jayBw

...when you really LIKE...

jayBw

The new logo is pretty ugly it looks like a botched copy of the Google Crome logo. Should of stuck with the old logo. Good to hear about the fresh DV partnership.

Film genius

I think the new logo has too many colors and i couldn't figure out what it tries to represent or how it relates to film without the videos below... I simply felt lost when i looked at it, it felt so misplaced. It also feels imbalanced with the text part. I have no objection to lower case. If the logo is to be something round, there's lot room for simplification with perhaps more similarity to the countdown clock and it could be even made to be in the place of the letter O in the "no" instead of just putting it alone in front of the text. Simpler things usually tend to feel more elegant to me. This logo has very non-art like mathematical engineering feel.

ts

I like it! Simple, yet fairly unique.

April 3, 2013

the circle of colors is very distracting!!!

zohair salama

I mean no disrespect, but it looks terrible. The colours, the symbol, the whole thing is a mess. I'm all for clean and simple, but as someone who is traditionally a designer, this just screams generic font, clashing colours

Mick

I agree 100% with Mick. Generic font and the colors don't work together at all. On a logo I think the theory behind it is not really important. What matters is what people see in it and feel when they see it.

April 3, 2013

The idea behind new logo probably work better in theory than in reality. I'd call it bland at best.

Kent

All the people who don't like the new logo:

Something wrong? You're sweating...

alex

Why do you want to know? Are you a doctor?

Kent

Can't go wrong with Bateman

Natt

Reminds me of BMW logo...

Marvin

Looks great, just don't forget to change the favicon :)

April 3, 2013

It's a better rebrand than GAP attempted :-)

I like it - playful. Looking forward to the site redesign!

April 3, 2013

A graphic of monkey poop would be better rebranding then what GAP did.

April 3, 2013

At least that would've been bold!

April 3, 2013

Looks nice! I would just suggests alighting the round shape and "nofilmschool". It's a little off symmetrically, otherwise, looks great!

April 3, 2013

It's not off, the type picks up and sits on the horizontal middle line of the signet.

Hansd

Correct Hansd!

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Reminds me of the Chrome logo when I look at it (obviously it's different, but they are similar).

April 3, 2013

Love the nofilmschool font. Not really feeling the circle, but it may grow on me.

April 3, 2013

If you figure out a way for facebook to let you use all lowercase, you let me know :\

The ridiculous part is their own brand is all lowercase, so why the hell can't I create my business page with a brand that's all lowercase?

sean

I know right?!?

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I don't hate it. I don't love it. I like it better than the old one. I want to like it more but it feels off. As others have suggested, the alignment of the text with the circular graphic doesn't quite work in this case. It's not so much a symmetry thing as it is a balance thing.

I recently worked at a business that had a logo with a graphic that also sat in front of and hung well below the text. It may seem like a good idea at the time to "break the norms" but, as time goes on, I think you'll find the logo increasingly difficult to work with, especially once you start trying to animate it or play off the general shape to make it represent different objects. It also doesn't help that the text has no descenders, making the blank space even more pronounced.

Perhaps you'd consider either moving the text down so that the horizontal line of the circle cuts the letter "o" in the text in half, giving you a more balanced logo without it being symmetrical. OR...

Moving the text down so the horizontal line of the circle aligns with the top of the "n" in "no". Because there are ascenders, it helps balance the text with the graphic without making it symmetrical. OR...

Just do a straight center alignment. It's pedestrian and safe but it also looks better than what you have now, in my opinion.

As for the graphic, I probably would've kept going until I got something a little bit more engaging to look at, for lack of a better term. However, if you kept it as is and moved the text, it wouldn't really bother me.

For the record, I work as a still and motion graphics designer, in case anyone wonders where I get the nerve to offer suggestions.

Brian

for the record, I have a diploma in graphics design and think the alignment is fine.

hansd

Perhaps the person who designed the logo has one, too. I only mentioned it so as not to seem like so many internet posters who armchair criticize and speak with an air of authority with no actual experience in the matter. People can take both of our opinions for what they're worth.

I feel like there's a disconnect between the text and the graphic, especially on the smaller version in the masthead. From a practical, non-aesthetic perspective, off-balance logos tend to get unwieldy when used in circumstances that differ from their initial intent or placement. It limits their use in many ways. I spent 4.5 years dealing with one and 6 years before that dealing with another. It can be done, it's just more work.

As for the colors, one challenge that instantly comes to mind is SMPTE color bars are just not that attractive a color combination. I'd guess that's one of the reasons they decided to go pastel and leave some colors out.

Here's a link to something I worked up that's more forgiving design-wise. Yes, it's basically lifted straight from the YouTube thumbnail, which makes it less stylized and pretty literal. It's only a "for instance". It's not as colorful, although more color could easily be added. I think it's more recognizable as the countdown leader and eliminates the balance issue (for those of us who are bothered by it). It's a "safer" logo but I think it's stronger graphically. My point is I think there was room for further exploration that may have all but eliminated the need for two videos to demonstrate what it represents. Feel free to rip it to shreds. It may serve to spark other ideas. Or not.

Brian

Wow! This looks awesome! I like it more than he circle. Very nice.

Petr

As I go through the comments I'm surprised no one has said it looks like the new Microsoft logo, which I only thought of now:

Our colors are actually pretty similar, if you mirror it in both horizontal and vertical directions.

The fact that the font has no descenders is absolutely intentional and that's what allows it to "sit" on the center. We're up for the challenge of applying it to different use cases, and we also have alternates that center justify it, add a ".com" to the end, go grayscale for print, etc.

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I can dig it. I hope the new look serves you well. I have to say, I never pay that much attention to what Microsoft is doing aesthetically. The only other corporate logo that came to mind was the recently redesigned USA Today one.

Ironically, their parent company, Gannett, is also the parent company of the organization who owns the previously mentioned logo I dealt with for 4.5 years.

Brian

I think I don't like it because of the placement of the blue and the green. They are right next to each other on the color wheel, so it looks weird when you have them across from each other in a logo like that. Red and yellow work because they're separated by orange. I don't know, color theory isn't my strong suit, but that's all I can come up with right now as to why I don't like it.

April 3, 2013

nice~ i have been on this site for years and its good to see a refresh. Though i will definitely miss the old one.
And that is my FAVORITE scene in American Pshyco!!

Kazu

Since we're talking about logos, take a look at FreshDV. Now that's a great logo. The two hues of green to represent freshness and provide a bit of contrast, the leaves being represented by film while simultaneously providing a break in the lettering. It's a damn fine logo design.

I feel like the problem with the new nofilmschool logo is that you had to explain what the design elements were representing. If you hadn't have written this post, I would have had no idea that colorbars or a film leader had anything to do with the design. And if I were a non-english speaker, I would be completely lost as to the meaning of the logo. Is this a cookware manufacturer? A cellular service provider? What does this organization do?

Take it for what it's worth though. I'm just some guy on the internet. Regardless of logos, fonts, or design elements, I still visit this site every day and consider it an invaluable resource for learning what's going on in the world of filmmaking.

April 3, 2013

Will you have a central "base of operations", or a set schedule for NAB? Would definitely like to say hey or chat while there.

April 3, 2013

Hate to say it, but your new logo is awful. Yes It's all subjective, but aesthetically it doesn't come across as a "No film school, film or video type logo. I see what you were going for with the SMPTE which is a fine, but it dosen't come across that way. At a glance it looks like Google chromes logo, or an app for Simon (yes the game) Also if you were going for the SMPTE color combination why pastel color tone? I'm assuming to match the color of the current site? Which you mentioned you're going to change in the future anyway, so it doesn't make any sense. Just my two cents, good luck.

Fab

Agreed, I didn't get the color bars reference at all because the colors that can be seen in the logo don't look anything like those that we are familiar with from the good old color bars. Red and dark blue are missing and the other tones are off. Considering you like it simple, I'd rather prefer a less colorful approach. Maybe just grey/cyan, plain and simple.

haiggoh

Anything's better that the old logo.

Colors feel drab.

J Danner

My first impression was that it's a bit off but, I like 'off'. I'm sure Mr. Ceraso experimented with countless colors before finalizing the color wheel but, I would have liked to see the northwest gray quadrant in a color other than gray. Maybe a purplish lavender hue. I don't mind the placement of nofilmschool but, I feel the font size is too large. Reducing it by, maybe, 30% might make for better balance. Easy to make armchair criticisms, isn't it?

dixter