We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

April 27, 2013

First RAW Video Sample DNGs from the Canon 5D Mark III with New Magic Lantern Firmware

We just told you about what Magic Lantern is doing with the RAW liveview image, and now we've got some of the first samples for you to play around with. Luke Neumann has been testing the new firmware with A1ex over at Magic Lantern, and he has produced a spectacular sample that really gives you an idea of what this firmware is capable of. First, here is a video from Luke walking you through the process he went through to get these samples:

While at the moment it wouldn't necessarily be called video, it's basically taking still images from a video stream, which could yield higher frame rates. Here is one of the comparison from Luke still images that we posted before (click for larger):

Luke has told me that they have also been experimenting with recording this through the HDMI output, which would solve some issues with write speed for the cards. RAW 14-bit 2K/1080p video for this camera is absolutely mind-blowing, and some of the people over at Magic Lantern seem confident that they will figure out how to get it all the way to 24fps for full motion video. If that does happen, it certainly turns this $3,300 camera into a whole different beast entirely.

If you would like to play around with some sample RAW files, head on over to Neumann Films to download them.

Link: 14bit RAW “Video” on Canon DSLR’s with Magic Lantern -- Neumann Films

I hope this happens! I'm curious to see canons response.

Caleb

This should be awesome!

Quobetah

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how this is going to be technically feasible beyond perhaps capturing a few seconds at 24 fps. I love the ML guys and their efforts, but this one reeks of wishful thinking and jumping to conclusions.

Hummer

1920x815 resolution. HDMI Firmware. Several ways it could happen.

April 27, 2013

Canon 5d + Atomos = $4k You could get 4k blackmagic and use 4k raw images for stills. Or grab 2.5k bmc with pocket cinema or alternative photo camera.

vinceGortho

Plus with 4K Blackmagic you get global shutter.

Razor

does the blackmagic pocket cam have global shutter?

j

and for those that already have a 5d? It would only mean buying a external recorder.

So no, it won't be 4k.

April 30, 2013

Nathaniel

Anyone knows if I can use the DNG files with Sony Vegas? Just tried working with them, but I can't seem to import them right. Thanks.

April 27, 2013

Look into using Blackmagic Cinema Camera RAW files in Sony Vegas. Should be the same process

David J. Fulde

I looked everywhere for that, and couldn't find any info. When I import the DNG RAW into Vegas, it's very small and pixelated. I also tried importing it on DaVinci Resolve Lite, and the same thing happened. Is there a codec I need installed on my computer for it to work?

April 28, 2013

Rodolphe

I did download footage from Black Magic and Vegas had no problems with it.

Craig

Just got done playing with the files, the expose changes on all the frames, I dont know if thats the footage or just me. But the footage has a lot more detail so that is good. If ML can do 1920 by 815 at 24fps for a min or two of footage then it will be really nice, but at the same time they are going to have to do it soon to keep people interested in this firmware, if not the blackmagic cameras will just take over. So if they can explain to us what the time frame is and what they need out of people that would be amazing, that way we can help or donate to them .

Canon 5d + Atomos = $4k
You could get 4k blackmagic and use 4k raw images for stills.
Or grab 2.5k bmc with pocket cinema or alternative photo camera.

vinceGortho

You don't need SSD or external recorder. New CF cards are coming out that will write whatever Magic Lantern can throw their way. It comes down to what they can and can't do in camera. I think this is a bigger deal for people that currently own a Mark III or Mark II. Not for people looking to buy a new camera.

April 27, 2013

Yep, its a big big big deal to us, but for someone like me who is about to sell the 5d to move to the blackmagic they need to hurry haha. But all in all its really great to see it coming. I have a short film that I will be doing in a few weeks if they can have it that soon then wow...

April 27, 2013

From what I have heard, it won't be ready by then :( Never know I guess!

April 27, 2013

This is very true. Most of us that own the camera just want it to get better and don't do as much complaining as the "others". Even before all of these fantastic updates, the camera was still able to delivery quality video. Luke let us know what we can do to help the process go further.

Desmond Williams

Quit spamming. Yes we are well aware of the 4k BMCC.

Ricky

Great announcement, but Alex from Magic lantern said in the ML forum:
"Don't hold your breath for raw video. 24fps at 1080p is unlikely IMO, even on 1000x cards."

So, i guess that this big announcement is a dream for "time lapsers", not for film makers..

Unfortunately, don't expect our 5d3 to be a BMC competitor..

NMendes

Oh that a1ex. Always underestimating himself. :) He can do it. 1920x815. Enough time with it and I bet they figure it out.

April 27, 2013

Ahaha! May god hear you dear Luke ;)

NMendes

I don't care! I don't have a horse in this race (stopped using Canon a while ago). I just think it would be really cool!

April 27, 2013

My laugh wasn't a joke against you, but about the fact that A1ex from ML underestimates himself, i think, just like all of us, that it would be a great news, and i also hope that this will come true (i think it will)..
Have a nice day!

NMendes

I know, I should have put a smiley face :) Stupid blog etiquette.

April 27, 2013

For a while. Alex also said that magic lantern on the 7D was impossible ;)

john jeffries

Good point dude ;)

NMendes

I am a bit worried about the flicker in the sample, it looks very hard to remove because its not exposure flicker but some chromatic thing, what can it caused by? It would be a real bummer to have this com true but only with issued that make it unusable...

April 27, 2013

But it doesn't happen until you make exposure adjustments in CameraRAW. It doesn't do it in other RAW Editors. Seems to be an Adobe/DNG issue.

That's good news!
The resolution difference is also absolutely unbelievable, it's as if entire new areas of the image became visible (overexposed areas aside) with details the h.264 version absolutely omits! it would already be great to have 8 bit at this resolution...

April 27, 2013

the magic lantern site been down for more than hour. Weird, now is re-directing to google.com

kabuto1138

A static page will be up soon. Check out the Facebook page in the meanwhile http://www.facebook.com/magiclantern.firmware

SDX

I've never had a camera that wasn't Canon from the early 90s to today. It's brand loyalty it's familiarity, and the fact that their products have always been at the very top. Now though I think that Canon has to change their business model. It always seemed that they knew the time they were in and they delivered, but today they seem to live on another planet where there is no Blackmagic, Red, Sony or Panasonic. They were the leaders and now they lag far behind. How have they managed to do that? Insolence? There's no reason for me to consider getting another Canon product until they are at least as good as the competition, until they officially can support Cinema DNG video. I love magic lantern since the guys seem to love Canon cameras and respect Canon customers more than Canon themselves. It's time for Canon to wake up again, and when they do, I'll be back on board, until then...

Jeff

I wanted to say "It's not brand loyalty it's familiarity"

Jeff

Comparison of downsized RAW stills vs what Magic Lantern is capturing from the liveview feed:

Nearly as sharp, nearly the same DR (just a bit more noise in the shadows).

THIS IS A HUGE DEAL.

April 27, 2013

I'm curious what the write speed of the cf card is that Neumann films used in the test. There are new cards that could theoretically handle the speed for 24fps if the camera winds up being able to unload the buffer onto them quickly enough.
Or is the bottleneck for in camera recording always going to be the 12 ish fps buffer?

With the new 5d3 uncompressed out I wonder if there will be a way to send 24 fps of dng via that route?

Joe p

Wow. No reason to get a BMCM if they can get the Mark III working @24fps. Canon sensors are far superior.

Mark

Are you willing to wait six months for what could possibly be raw 24p that last 30 seconds?
I hope this works out but I want it to fully work out.

vinceGortho

I find it ironic that a comment about waiting for a feature in a Canon camera would come from a proponent of Black Magic... the people who have still not delivered the first edition cameras people put down cash on last year.

May 3, 2013

Zan Shin

Good luck with that.

Razor

It would be awesome if this works. I wish they waited until it was at 24fps before announcing. It. Sure this is a breakthrough. But ait was left open for us to think it was video that we could use, not timelapse worthy video.

vinceGortho

This is a nice step up for those who love DSLR. I'll go for BlackMagic 4k at $4k instead. :-)

Never did like the short shooting time of DSLRs.

Gene

Finally some sense.

Marklondon

Short shooting time? 5d3's and D800's can record for 30 min and restart immediately getting a few hours on a card. BMCC 4K can record 36 min on a 240gb or 72 min if you have a 480 gb before you swap out your SSD? I wouldnt call 30 min short tho.

April 27, 2013

I wouldn't care if my DSLR could shoot for 6 hours. It's all 8 bit compressed detail mush.

Razor

Its not 8bit's fault 5d's are mushy. There's nothing mushy about the D800. The DSLR thing didnt start because they were cheap. It was because of the amazing shallow depth of field that is still almost double what the 4K BMCC will be being only Super35.

April 30, 2013

Or 5 Hours of 10bit ProRes 422

Thus, the extended appeal of all of Blackmagic's camera lineup.

Kholi

...if only they can deliver them to more than a handful of people of the thousands waiting with cash and dreams.

May 3, 2013

Zan Shin

What would impress me more than this is 2.5K or 2k motion jpeg or pro res :) The reason being that it would be more realistic to get it to 24p in camera due to lower bit rate. I don't see how they could get this to 24p, I just don't. 10 seconds is just not enough. Even with the external recorder I can't see it and anyway if you add 1000$ bucks for Atomos it gets into BPC territory.

Jeff

Wow. This is alot more interesting than much of the recent NAB news!

Rob