Superproducer Ted Hope on...

May 8, 2013

NAB Video: Conversations with Filmmakers on the Topic of Story

NAB-2013-FreshDVEven though NAB is mostly a gear show, new hardware isn't very useful unless it's actually being used to make something. FreshDV had a chance to talk with filmmakers on the show floor about more than just gear, specifically what kinds of story and storytelling they enjoyed the most. Click through to check out the video below.

While I imagine it's kind of a tough question to answer on the spot (similar to: "What's your favorite movie?"), I think it's fascinating to hear the wide range of answers given by the filmmakers. While Hollywood is attempting to dumb down the process of storytelling and lower their chances of failure, new tools (like those unveiled at NAB every year) are actually letting people be more creative and take more chances than ever before. Judging by the varied responses, it's clear that there is plenty of room out there for all kinds of stories.

What kinds of stories do you find most interesting?

Link: FreshDV

I enjoy a good meditative film, something that provides space for us as the audience to breathe and think; a sanctuary. Also stories that are visceral and fleeting. And whenever I feel down I turn to Woody Allen.

May 8, 2013

Micah Van Hove
Writer
writer, director, dp

Agreed. To add to that point, I get a kick out of films that challenge me physically, that make me work for it.

May 8, 2013

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

Music is a huge part that many people seem to skimp on

May 8, 2013

Derek

I wish more films chose not to use music. I find it more engaging when sound design/actors carries a scene. IMHO

May 8, 2013

vinceGortho

I love great music used well, but I also wish there were more open spaces in films without music. I love what The Office does: no scoring at all, just occasional music in the scene (when someone's singing at a party, listening to the radio, etc.).

May 8, 2013

Ben

There's a reason why Pixar films usually are creatively different. They take a whole year to hash out the outline of each story. Then another year to bring the script together. Akira Kurosawa did crazy things while writing Seven Samurai too. My script is looking like I want it to after two years of working on the story.

May 8, 2013

Julian Terry

My favorite stories are always about characters that seem to have no idea what they're doing.
The Coens, The McDonagh brothers, even films like Raging Bull and Goodfellas, i think always following at least one character that really deep down doesn't know what they're doing makes a film feel real, sustains engagement can bring humor and tears when you don't expect them and makes it more difficult for audiences to just guess what happens next.

May 10, 2013

Ciaron Craig

Nice video! Thanks for it. Very interesting.

August 26, 2013