May 9, 2013

Rgrain Reaches 6K Resolution with Their Realistic Film Grain Plates

Rgrain - Realistic Film Grain Plates for Your Digital FootageOne of the secrets to getting your digital footage a little more cinematic is to add some grain in post. While even footage originating on film sometimes gets this treatment, it's a nice way to bring back some organic feeling into an otherwise clinical medium. Rgrain, who has been producing realistic grain plates (not actual scanned grain) for some time now, is introducing a brand new pack that extends all the way up to 6K resolution. Check out an introduction video below:

Here is a little more about what's included from their website:

New Professional Ultra High-Resolution 35mm Rgrain Plate in 6K resolution (6144x3160) based on our most popular plate. (RG 35mm Lush)

• For professional high-resolution cinema cameras (Red Epic / Scarlet Dragon, Sony F65-55, Arri Alexa’s, Canon EOS-1D C - C500, BlackMagic 4K and 2.5K).
• The 35mm PRO 6K also works great with all existing 1080P DSLR cameras.*
• Beyond 4K - full control over grain thickness. Create multiple looks using only one plate.
• ProRes 422 at 23.976 fps (The clip loops for 30sec—3.8Gb total download.)
• 35mm ultra-realistic digitally created film stock emulation.

Before everyone loses their mind, be sure to check out the video above, because one of the advantages to having plates this large is that if you are working with a final resolution below 6K (which most people will be doing until we get our hands on some RED DRAGON sensors), you can resize in post to fit your needs. While these aren't actually scanned grain plates, many have been hard-pressed to tell the different (but certainly there is a bit of personal preference involved).

The new 35mm 6K grain pack is $35, and if you want everything that Rgrain makes that will set you back $100. They also have two other packages available that are 1080p only for $50 and $75. Check out their website for more information on all of them.

Link: Rgrain

when it will be for Canon 5D mark III and for Panasonic AF101E?

May 9, 2013

MHER HAKOBYAN

It will work for any camera, they just mentioned those cameras in the description because they do more than 1080p.

May 9, 2013

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

so what should i get. rgrain or filmconvert? What's the pros and cons of each. Filmconvert seems a bit more awesome, but it's also pricier.

May 9, 2013

Honestly i heard the filmconvert grain is a 6k scan. I bought the whole RGrain pack with the 6k and it is a lot more versatile than the filmconvert grain. In fact, you can pretty much emulate any grain structure with the 6k scan alone by expanding/shrinking the window overlay in AE. From super fine - nearly to where you can't see it... To 1940's documentary. You need one ass kicking CPU though.. I'd say you can get whatever you're looking for with just the 6k scan.

May 9, 2013

Jeremy

FilmConvert does way more than Rgrain. This is simply a grain and effects suite, FilmConvert has full color controls to give your footage a base layer that looks like different film stocks, including grain.

May 9, 2013

Joe Marine
Editor-at-Large
Shooter/Writer/Director

FilmConvert doesn't just add grain, it also has color correction, and you can also adjust the amount of grain. It also let's you input your camera (5D, RED, Ariiflex etc.) as well as the picture profile that you shot the original footage with. According to FilmConvert, it can be applied to 6K footage. For $200, it's not a bad deal at all. It also comes with presets of different film stocks.

The rgrain is just grain footage. But priced nicely I mst say.

May 9, 2013

Darren

Yes, filmconvert is magical. I use it for everything except the grain. To me, the RGrain is better

May 9, 2013

Jeremy

I'll second that Jeremy, I love filmconvert but not for it's grain, for it's film stock emulation.
For grain I love the rGrain 35mm grains such as Lush, Smooth and sometimes Exciter.

May 9, 2013

Jules

agree with Jeremy too. I prefer Rgrain for grain, the final look you can achieve is awesome.

It's extremely easy to use, lot of plates to choose from, fast to render and considerably cheaper. Especially now with the new Pro 6k plate included in the full suite. I also like their micro dirt loops a lot.

IMHO great package for the price

May 9, 2013

Tom

Filmconvert, because its also a basic color corrector and it has a ton of film profiles including unusual shit like Portra 400 and still film. It pretty much becomes your dailies organizer/footage preparer

May 9, 2013

Skinny Pete

For color correction I prefer Magic Bullet Looks. Whenever I need grain, I use Film Grain ASA package from here: http://vegasaur.com/film-grain Price and quality are unbeatable!

Andrew

Have to go with the consensus and say Filmconvert. I use it with the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and what i do is remove any chrominance noise, leave the majority of the luma noise. Add filmconvert dial down the grain to about 10-20% sometimes to 0.

The Fuji stocks in are my particular favourite, really make Reds and Blues pop. My only wish is for more film stocks, and for an openfx plugin when Resolve is updated to 10.

Andrew Smith

I find this new 6k plate not be that efficient. The 6K is overkill, no one with a camera like that will use computer generated grain. It also has a lot of guess work in order to make it look realistic and the scaling down to let's say 2.5K for a finer structure doubles or more the rendering time. 6K is not easy to deal with and it will slow down your workflow. I suggest stick to 1080p or 2K grain till you get your 4K beast shipped and then invest on something more that will add to your image.

bantie

6K is actually great - if you import a 6K file in after effects or premiere it will be at 100% not scaled down so the grain structure will be perfect. You will have a lot of unused extra on the side but that good if you have footage higher than 1080p. You can also make grain finer too or thicker like someone said earlier.

Have you seen Rgrain? It looks awesome and very real to me - I have real film grain plates too btw.

Sinai

I gave 6K a chance but it's already out of workflow for the reasons I mentioned. 6K sounds impressive but what's the point when your work is btw 1080p and 2K and there better and more efficient solutions....

bantie

Fair enough - I just like the fact that I can adjust the grain size with the 6K. I tried it in AE btw and it's not slower than the 1080p plates( i have the complete pack) AE doesn't render the larger area out of your composition so it's all good. already rendering a project with it, looks great.

Sinai

Are the Rgrain templates simply an alpha-matted video file? Couldn't you down-res the master 6K clip to the resolution you're working in (and keep the alpha channel)? Or, for larger grain, crop the native 6K file to your choice resolution? That way you wouldn't have to render so intensively from scaling down.

Nick

And the looks of Rgrain and Filmconvert compare to Cinegrain? Which one is the best?

Nanno

CineGrain is by far the best, have you seen their facebook? It's on tons of movies, commmercials, and music videos. The fact that ASC Cinematographers are using CineGrain in their stack and mentioning it trade magazines says it all.

RR thomas

Sorry, but what a WRONG perspective.. (It sounds like you worked at CineGrain...lol)

If that reason was the real matter to watch out when choosing something on this field (or many others), you'll always end up spending thousands or millions of dollars... The more expensive is not necessarily the best or most convenient for everyone, at all!

I tested Rgrain and CineGrain, the price difference is huge and I bet you won't know which is which if I show you the same footage with grain applied properly.

Tom

Have a look at holygrain. They offer a complete library of film grain scans in both 1080p and 2K. Really handy scans and inexpensive too. Here's a free one: http://holygrain.com/downloads.html

evan

finally a 6k plugin for my 6k camera. finally I will be able to see this wonderful thing on my 6k screen. oh ye

Kenzo

Try Grainzilla's Grains, are afforable and have very good realistic look

January 16, 2014

Arto

I agreed with Arto, grainzilla has good price for what you get, and you can download some free stuff from here: http://grainzilla.com/#free-downloads

January 16, 2014

David

I think that cinegrain is good but is quite expensive, try http://grainzilla.com, their packs have all you need for a fair price

January 16, 2014

David

Filmconvert is good for color correction and color grading, but the grain is quite fake, for film grain I go for http://grainzilla.com/, digital and real scans from 1080p to 4K resolution, good prices, and realistic film grain look, it works for me.

January 16, 2014

Aladd

If you need just 4K grain, take a look at http://vegasaur.com/4K-film-grain

March 7, 2014

Alex

I was so confused about what to buy, but this makes it understandable.

April 8, 2014